Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tools for building an App for iPad
  • epicyclo

I’ve got an idea for an App for iPad. Nothing that’s going to make any money – just a fun project.

I’ve got X-code open, and that reminds me of how long it has been since I’ve looked at code etc. I really don’t want to invest a lot of time learning for this, but don’t mind paying for the appropriate tool.

Is there an easier more visual tool for making an App?

Maybe something the equivalent of FileMaker for databases.

Otherwise it’s back down the salt mine.

CountZero

You have to register as a developer, which is $99, I believe, then you can get the dev tools and all the other stuff to do it. It may be possible to get tools without signing up, but obviously you won’t have access to the App Store to sell it.

epicyclo

Thanks. Done all that. Been registered an Apple dev for years but not put my hand to anything for over 10 years now.

I’m looking for something simpler than the free tools.

allthegear
    Free Member

xcode is the develop tool of choice and includes a “virtual” iPad for testing. CountZero is right, though – you’ll need to fork out $99 to actually install the app on a real iPad…

Might be worth think whether you actually need a native application, though. It is very reasonable now to build a website that is cached automatically on the device and appears to be an app. Have a look at the Financial Times’ on an iPad and you should see what I mean – you can do a lot in HTML…

You won’t have much access to the hardware, other than geolocation, that’s all.

Rachel

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My GF is using Appaplace [sic] to create enriched book-reader apps for her book. It’s fairly straightforward. You’ll need XCode for the iSimulator to test what it builds.

DavidB
    Free Member
    was
    Free Member

As David B says, Phone gap great if you already know Html / css / javascript.

Plus its cross platform so you can build it for android etc without re coding it.

epicyclo

Thanks everyone. Looks like I’m going to have to brush up on the basics if I go ahead with this.

I have a severe case of CAS* so I was hoping there was a drag and drop and draw tool, kind of like FileMaker, which would insulate me from having to have detailed knowledge of codes. Still there can’t be that many changes in the last decade or so, eh?

The HTML option looks the most promising for a simple app.

*Code Aversion Syndrome developed after putting time and effort into trying to learn Algol after which I decided that time spent learning programming languages just gave me a fat arse.

jeff

Using Titanium here. Worked better for us than phonegap.

The more javascript you know the better, but you can create apps with just the basics.

You’ll need to pay Apple the $99 for iPad, but you can test on Android free of charge.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tools for building an App for iPad’ is closed to new replies.