• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tool suggestions…
  • jamesy01
    Free Member

Help…when attempting to change the handles on the espagnolette windows locks in the bathroom the mechanism has somehow become jammed.
    A quick YouTube search shows a method of un-jamming them that involves removing the seal and popping a 1.5/2mm allen key between the frame and hopper, twisting it, finding the catch and pulling on it hard using vice grips.
    All easy so far except the catch on my window is to far inbound for the allen key to catch on.
    I’ve searched B&Q and Halfords for suitably long allen keys and alternative right angle tools but have had no luck.
    A bent nail was too weak and a bent screw driver shaft snapped during the bending process.
    Can any one suggest something that is strong, right angled, 1.5 to 2mm dia and one end being around 30mm long?
    Trying to replicate this:-

pocpoc
    Free Member

bike spoke?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I usually make tools like this out of hacksaw blades, cut with a hook and bent to fit.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Tried a bike spoke but it wasn’t strong enough.
    Hacksaw blade is a good shout but it needs to go down parallel with the frame and then be turned so that it is under the frame so you can pull against the catch.

nickjb
    Free Member

Try again with the screwdriver but heat it up first where you are bending it

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Can any one suggest something that is strong, right angled, 1.5 to 2mm dia and one end being around 30mm long?

The other end of your hex key?

toby

Can you come at it from the outside of the window instead of the inside?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Don’t bend the hack saw blade but shape it into a hook with a grinder.

fettlin

How much fresh air is there between the window and frame?

any chance of feeding some strong thin wire (gear cable?) through and out the other side? pull both sides up evenly (or tie one end off to the handle and you go round the other side and lift).

appreciate it may involve ladders and other peoples assistance, but may be the solution.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

After thinking a bit more, if you have a similar window so you can see exactly where the unlocking stud is, I would use a bit of brake or gear cable with the cut end soldered solid or super glued and I’d either feed it in behind the mushroom and then push through to a point where you can get it out and have it wrapped round the mushroom or maybe if there is space below the mushroom you could push a loop in from the side and get it to catch on the mushroom? Rather like opening and old school car door when you’d lipocked the keys in and used packing bandind or a loop of wire to lift the button.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

SNAP!

Cougar

I was going to suggest banding tape until I watched the video.

If you can manage to feed wire through the gap and out the other side, you could coordinate with someone outdoors to pull at the same time rather than needing to loop it anywhere.

DezB
    Free Member

What about one of those door trim kit tools. You’d probably have to cut the end off – but found them for a tenner

US PRO Tools 4pc Door Panel & Trim Removal Tool Set NEW Clip V U Slot Tool 5450

stoopid goddam link ballbag forum. The bent thing anyway.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tool suggestions…’ is closed to new replies.