Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • (Tool) shit just got real…
  • fasthaggis

Wow!

That is tooltastic.

leffeboy

oh that is quality

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Poopscoop

I could have all that and STILL have to use a random socket to knock out/in a bearing…

benv
    Free Member

that is toolbox filth!

TiRed

Really enjoyed that. His comment about look at how your tools are organised and ask if you’d want a bike built by someone with those organisational skills rings so true. Errrr best not look at my workbench.

We had a plumber who worked like a surgeon. Was a masterpiece of a tool roll and meticulous organisation. His van was the same. Those are the people you want. He now services our road based on our recommendation. Must up my game on the tool wall stakes.

timbog160

Amazing!

He’s from Texas, lives in Cali and favourite venue is Fort William – good man!

Bullet

You need the £20,000 torque wrench that Ricardo used on engine build for the Guy Martin Fastest Tractor programme the other day. Networked and won’t let you move on to another bolt until the correct torque is applied and recorded – lovely bit of kit.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I could have all that and STILL have to use a random socket to knock out/in a bearing

I’ve used all sorts. Including an alloy torch hack-sawed to specific lengths, because the diameter was perfect and the old bearings themselves to press the new ones back in!

batfink
    Free Member

All of these get posted to “tool box wars” on instagram – I think it’s somehow affiliated with Abbey bike tools (could be wrong tho)

https://www.instagram.com/toolboxwars/?hl=en

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Great read – thanks OP.

AlexSimon

I once bought a Wera allen key and it was made of cheese, yet I seem them in a lot of pros toolboxes.
    Can someone link me to the best quality ones?

coynie09
    Free Member

These are the best iv’e used had a set for ten year never had a problem ………https://www.rowland-tools.co.uk/collections/bondhus/products/blx9mmxl-l-s-bondhus-ballwrench-set

AlexSimon

Thanks timbo – not as expensive as I was expecting.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The sight of that toolbox makes me really glad that when I wander home from the pub after a few beers, if I drunk enough to buy the stuff I’m too drunk to find my credit card.
    I have a lot of that in a heartbeat.
    Even if I have no use for it on any bike I own or am likely to own.

P-Jay
    Free Member

‘Tactical Beige’ I’m out.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh and can anyone tell me what the heck are those 6 red and 6 blue little cylindrical things on the left hand side of the tools in the lid?

SirHC

Got bored of rummaging around and also carrying stuff that was either duplicated or of no use.
    Going to redo it in the next few weeks, use 30mm thick foam, can get an extra layer in there and also to re-order the tools.

null

SirHC

Oh and can anyone tell me what the heck are those 6 red and 6 blue little cylindrical things on the left hand side of the tools in the lid?

Rapid Racer bearing presses, light, compact and good value.

trumpton
    Free Member

my toolboxes are a random mess but I know where everything is!

rossburton
    Free Member

“Rapid Racing Products bearing press”. The press is the yellow bit, the blue and red bits are the adaptors.

brownsauce
    Free Member

pffft , not impressed with the lack of hammer in the pro-kit , how you supposed to beat the crap out of stuff in time honoured fettler fashion ?

its all well and good using such fancy kit in Cali where the nearest thing to dirt you’ll find is a pine cone on the floor , but after a season of post race repairs at Gisburn during winter that kit will resemble a shopping trolley pulled out the bottom of a canal.

liking SirHC’s effort though

eddiebaby
    Free Member

There is an Abby Ti Team Hammer in the bottom compartment.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ermmm, its a pelicase with tools in it. A pelicase thats about 3x bigger than it needed to be too.

In my last job we miniaturized a rack full of TV production kit into a peli case! 4 camera control, genlock, recorders, sound mixer, radio mic receivers, quad split monitor, hothead monitor. That was a challenge (and cost about £30k!).

richmtb

xmas is coming…

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Abbey-Bike-Tools/Team-Issue-Toolbox/OXZQ

A fool and his money…

There is no way there is £1350 worth of tools in that set. Not convinced its even half that.

It would be a fun little project making your own case but unless you carry them around a lot they are generally easier pegged to the wall

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You say that, but a Peli 1605 like one in the OP is £330 with pick-foam.

richmtb

Yeah but the case in the £1350 kit isn’t £330 more like £150.

Jordan

Why would a pro mechanic use slip joint pliers on anything bike related? Serious question btw. When I was a mechanic(many years ago). They were bodgers tools.

honourablegeorge

If nothing else, this has reminded me to stick a set of Knipex pliers on my Xmas list

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bodger!

Jordan

Hah! Come on, someone tell me what you use em for?

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Why would a pro mechanic use slip joint pliers on anything bike related? Serious question btw. When I was a mechanic(many years ago). They were bodgers tools.

I was curious about that too. Apparently those are Knipex wrench pliers, highly regarded and near ubiquitous. Check these special ones out, machined down to fit cones https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/knipex-pliers-cone-wrench/

Has anyone tried them?

joshvegas
    Free Member

You guys are clearly being dazzled by the fancy stuff…

The knipex pliers are sitting right next to what is clearly a slipwrench.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yes. Works a treat too. You got one? I have. I use it instead on normal pliers a lot. Saves duplication of tools in my travel set and feels great in use.
    The small increments and lock on the ‘slip’ part make it spiffing for a lot of things.

Jordan

Well, I must admit. The smooth jawed Knipex pliers are a new one on me and after reading about them I am tempted to try em. But, the ones that were really bothering me were the black ones to the left of em with the toothed jaws. I just remember those sort of things as being fantastic for mangling whatever you grip with them.

globalti
    Free Member

The weird thing about blokes and their tools is that even though I may not use them for many months I always know exactly what I’ve got in my toolbox. May not be able to find it though….

joshvegas
    Free Member

You lot aren’t trying hardenough…

Classy

3grand.

Thats a grand for each photo. Study them hard because there are no details of what the tools are. They’re held in BY MAGNETS.

benv
    Free Member

Why would a pro mechanic use slip joint pliers on anything bike related?

Maybe some tools are also used for setting up/taking down the pit area, repairing or bodging other bits and bobs they carry around as a team, plumbing in the kitchen area etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘(Tool) shit just got real…’ is closed to new replies.