Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tool bottles
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Not used one before but interested in the experience of others.

Are they as useful as they look? Are there good ones and bad ones?

iffoverload
    Free Member

I like having tools and tube in mine and no backpack. cheap one from on one has been fine.

TiRed

The tall Elite one is great. Holds my pump 2xCO2, 80mm valve tube, multi tool and tyre levers plus small first aid kit. You can swap the first aid kit for a small chain lock for cafe stops. The Pro ones are rubbish as the lids fall off. The cheap ones from Decathlon are also good, but shorter so won’t hold my pump. I have several of these.

I run three in total: tall for race and TT bike, small ror fixed wheel (needs a spanner for the wheelnuts) and small for winter bike. The joys of different valve stems. I always havea tube, two CO2 cartridges, instant patches, and a simple tool in each. Pumps live on the fixed bike and winter bike.

Come summer and two waterbottles, I use a pencil case in the back pocket.

nairnster
    Free Member

I have a specialized keg. A 27.5 tube will not fit inside it if you want anything else in there.

survivor

Worth a look

vittoria tool case

Holds a 29er tube, multitool, co2 stuff, tyre levers and puncture kit and some cash

Seamus
    Free Member

The vittoria ones are great, much easier to use and fill than the screw top ones

jeffl

Yep got one. It’s handy for swapping from bike to bike. The only thing I have to change is the inner tube (MTB and Road). I’ve got one that’s the size of a 750ml water bottle and I can squeeze in…..

A 29er tube
    Two tyre levers
    Multitool
    Patch kit
    Quicklink
    Zipties
    Small pump

Bit of a squeeze but saves carrying a backpack.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Been happy with my one from ebay (“Pro” something-or-other, 750ml size).
    I only use it on my road/gravel bike, fine over winter but will find another solution (jersey pockets) over summer when I need another water bottle on the bike.

700c tube
    2 tyre levers
    Mini pump
    Multi tool
    Energy gels.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Is there a reason why a normal drinks bottle wouldn’t be adequate for a tube n some tools? Smidgen more faff maybe getting stuff out I guess.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

+2 for the vittoria one – much better than a bottle – certainly rattles less

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m looking for something for summer evening rides where I’d like to go bareback. As it will be used in the summer, it needs to be waterproof.

Wider tops seem to make access easier than an actual bottle.

I have a second set of mounts under the down tube so it needs to be cow poo proof as well.

jimdubleyou

I have a “Pro” one I use for commuting – easier to take off the bike than a saddle pack and it’s 100% waterproof.

It’s a pita to fill, but I get a lezyne pump, spare tube, multi tool and a rescue box (patches & quicklink) + a couple of nitrile gloves rammed in there.

Doesn’t rattle. Top is “fiddly” to get a seal.

Overall, pros outweigh cons.

slowrider
    Free Member

So where do you carry your drink? Just curious as I’ve been away for a few years and packs were the norm

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anchovies, CO2, mini tool and tyre levers go in pockets, water goes in bottle.

Don’t bother with a tube tbh on local rides.

duncancallum

Is there a direct mount box rather than a cage n bottle?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve two sets of bosses on my frame so water goes on the top of the down tube. Hopefully, tools/spares under the down tube. Maybe a couple if bits in the waterproof lezyne saddle caddy that clears the dropper.

I’ll still use the pack for big rides but we’d like to do more evening stuff this year. Thought that might be nice bareback.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

duncancallum – Member
    Is there a direct mount box rather than a cage n bottle?

Yup! Got one of these on my Camber (pre swat-box version)

Ideal for local short loops, got of of this back-bottle for water – loving riding pack-less for local stuff now!

Syncros

A

ratcatcher

A Horlicks plastic jar thing is just the right size and has a screw on top ..

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Halfords do a 500ml water bottle with full size kneck so getting tools in/out easy and therefore works great as a tool bottle. Less than a fiver if i remember correctly.

shermer75
    Free Member

I use a regular 500ml bottle. Everything fits in there apart from the inner tube, which is squeezed under the saddle and held in with a zip tie. Looks much nicer than a saddle bag.

*I use a CO2 pump

cheers_drive

I should declare that I. A partner in the company but The Piggy will do what you want and you still get to use a bottle for drink.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tool bottles’ is closed to new replies.