Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tool board- Chipboard or OSB? And show me yours big boy/ lovely lady!
  • tommid
    Free Member

I want to make a tool board, Peg board is too expensive and hard to get hold of. so should I use chipboard or Orientated Strand board?

Go on show me yours!!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sterling board (OSB) is really only for structural applications – so not sterling board.

EDIT : I’m not sure how keen I would be on chipboard as it can get bitty as is it disintegrates with holes drilled into it and things are screwed to it. MDF would probably better and plywood best of all – although plywood is of course dearer and less stable in terms of warping. Get shuttering ply if you go for plywood as the cheaper alternative.

Stoner
    Free Member

OSB is ugly stuff.
    Structural ply is fairly cheap (Dont go and splash out on WBP)

I think I pay about £13 a sheet for it, but that may be rubbish.

EDIT: ernie’s EDIT crossed with mine.

fruitbat

Here’s some of mine. Exterior ply from old packing cases, some paint and several nails –

althepal

Mancave!

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for ply

Gunz
    Free Member

Ditch the tool board and get a tool chest, much more professioanl IMHO.

CHB

MDF is better.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My garage is a work n progress but like gunz i went for a chest on wheels – easy to move to the car /van what ever im working on at the time that doesnt fit in the garage 🙂

The black bit was a gift from my dad for passing my exams and was stuffed to the gunnels of hand tools plus some so picked up the red bit yesterday and thats sorted the situation no end ! – and given me my workbench back

And yes that is laminate flooring in my garage 😉 – ripped out 3 rooms worth in the house so reuseing it for now !

banks
    Free Member

How many tyres!

kayak23

Plywood for the win.

takisawa2

Big red Kennedy chest on wheels here. As said, can be moved about & locked up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Banks

Working my way through that – mostly kendas from my racing days.

Too good to throw away but not good enough to sell – so using them now for bimbling

Couple of tiogas , nearly
    New fat66 kevlar bead dh’s – must had them 10 years ) and possibly the only set of white tigers ever – given to me to test – they were shite and binning though and a set of conti ice spikes there too didnt rate them much found endomorph better !

stavromuller
    Free Member

Thanks for the motivation fruitbat, I’m off out into my garage after lunch to get organised as it’s a total bombsite at the mo’

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Recently bought some magnetic strips but was also looking at a pegboard. Pound shops seem to stock loads of assorted hooks and things you could use on a board.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wenanwhere – where did you get magnetic strips ? Ive seen rolson ones but only mail order 🙁

bigblackshed

Local DIY has Rolson stuff on 4 for 3 ATM. Not sure if they have magnetic strips though.

Big red rolling tool box and MDF for tool boards. But I only put bike specific tools on the board. And I’ve got duplicates like spanners and allen keys in the red box.

AJames
    Free Member

Thank god it’s not just me that has a pile of tyres like that..

wenanwhere
    Free Member

I just got my on ebay search for magnetic tool holder

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tool board- Chipboard or OSB? And show me yours big boy/ lovely lady!’ is closed to new replies.