Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Toobless "rattle" – time to topup sealant ?
  • allthepies
    Free Member

Spinning the front wheel on the bike stand tonight during a disc pad aliment fettle and I hear a slight rattling sound from inside the tyre.

Presumably this is a Stans “booger” forming. Time to take the tyre off, remove said booger and redo the sealant ? Only been in there for a month and a half but in the current hot weather perhaps the booger-formation time is reduced 🙂

(29er Arch EX with Spesh Purgs)

lornholio
    Free Member

Take the wheel off and give it a shake side-to-side and listen for any liquid remaining. If not, top up. Scrape out the old stuff if you can be bothered, if only to get rid of the rattle and a tiny bit of weight.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ta.

Just tried that (the shake) and there’s still some liquid jizz in there so I’ll give it a few more weeks and see if the booger sound gets worse.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

There was a thread on this a while ago, I remember because my Stans wheels had the same rattle. It’s something to do with the piece that holds the ends of the rim in place for welding.

Don’t worry about it, it either goers away or you don’t notice it anymore. Either way you don’t hear it when riding only when fettling.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s not a metallic noise but a dull rumble, much like the noise I’d imagine a ball of spongy material rolling in the tyre would make 🙂

davewalsh
    Free Member

In my experience, the ‘Booger’ has always been caused by sealant clumping around a thorn then breaking off and sticking together. Time to remove the tyre, pull the thorn(s) out and re-fill with fresh sealant.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Toobless "rattle" – time to topup sealant ?’ is closed to new replies.