• This topic has 51 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • too scared or too old to learn
  • benjii19
    Free Member

I’m supposedly in my prime (30’s) am I too old to learn jumps,drop offs, gap jumps etc or is it just the fact I’m clipped in and scared to hell of coming off and breaking something. I eve came to a steep section and couldn’t do that.

Steatly Woods and Quarry are something to behold!! People were flying over stuff with ease

wwaswas

I tried to learn to jump when I was 35.

Broke my hip.

But don’t let that put you off 😉

I would either get some training so you know what to do even if you choose not to or just embrace being crap and accept your limits.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

bars up, heels down rah rah rah

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I’m not in my 30s yet so cant really say but I’d say you can still learn. I’d just go to somewhere quiet with some tables that you can do or nearly do and you should become more comfortable with practice. Then just gradually push yourself. I’ve never really fallen off jumping unless I push myself miles out of my comfort zone.

benjii19
    Free Member

bars up, heels down rah rah rah

Errr think its got more to do with guts first??

adstick
    Free Member

I don’t think so. I know several very good riders who only really started jumping etc well into their 30s. Take it slowly though and, without wanting to start another pedal debate, yes try flats. Most difficult thing for learning, in my experience, is finding somewhere with well built jumps to learn on. A BMX track, pump track or any of the trail centre skill areas would be a good place to start. Do it!

Northwind

Certainly not too old- I only got back into riding in my 30s so pretty much everything I know, I learned in the last couple of years. Too scared? It’s scarier riding badly than well…

But… I think we’re a bit obsessed with getting better these days. Does it stop you enjoying yourself? If not, who cares? If yes, do something about it.

johnellison
    Free Member

I can NEVER stay “stuck” to flats! I always manage to part company with the bike mid air which usually ends in a horrendous saddle/bollocks or shins/pedals interface… 😳

benjii19
    Free Member

The BMX track I have in my head is overrun my kids doing mental stuff!! I might have to get up early and go!

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Flats.

I’m 36 and only just learning drops, jumps and stuff. Buying a 6″ FS has helped with the confidence though!

zilog6128

The BMX track I have in my head is overrun my kids doing mental stuff!! I might have to get up early and go!

There’s a skate/bike park 10 mins ride from my work. I keep thinking about nipping over there at lunchtime (during school time!) to have a go – far too lame to do it when the kids are there to judge me!!

eyerideit
    Free Member

u gotta pinnit 2 winnit, innit?

😕

gonzy
    Free Member

you’re never to old to learn new things on a bike…
    stick some flats on and go and have a play about with someone who has the experience and can teach you.
    be aware of your limits but also be prepared to push yourself beyond that one small step (or jump) at a time…2 of my ex colleagues did exactly this after being scared initially and they’re both in their mid 50’s. i’m not saying they are experts but now they’re more confident on the bike in general as a result of learning something new to them…

nick1962
    Free Member

You will never be as good as the kids at a BMX track!
    I only got my first proper MTB in 2008 and can pretty much do everything you mention to a survivable rather than skillful standard
    All self taught at the age of 45+ which probably accounts for my complete lack of finesse. Everyone suggests skill sessions which is probably a very good idea but I just practised and fell off a lot in the park at night when the rad skillz crew weren’t around.
    Flat grippy pedals gave me more confidence and find jumps with soft landings 🙂
    Wish I was in my thirites and just starting out.
    Face the fear and do it anyway as they say.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Why not get some Instruction, Jedi changed my riding in about 5 hours

kayak23

Well, you’re in your thirties. You’ve had a good run, so I guess you might as well try anything really I mean, you’re not long for this world…
    😉

Trimix
    Free Member

I turned 48 yesterday (or was it 47, cant do the maths). Anyway, Im really enjoying learning to do gaps, doubles etc properly.

Its all in your mind. The actual skills you need are very simple and few, you just need to practice them and learn as you go.

But you need to practice them properly, with some feedback. I learned the most when with a mate and we spot each others technique (or lack of). Find someone who knows how to do it properly and learn with them.

Start small, get confident, move on and up.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Jezkidd – Member

Why not get some Instruction, Jedi changed my riding in about 5 hours

^This.

Jedi also offers a safe and controlled environment at Herts, so you can get to grips with stuff progressively. Def worth a visit.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

One word for you: Session.

When you’re out on a ride, rather than just getting your head down and getting round, pick one feature of that ride and session it for half an hour or more. Whether it be a small jump, drop, rock garden, technical climb. Skills courses are good, they’ll teach you what you should be doing and give you the opportunity to practice it for a short while, but when the lesson is over and your’re out on the trail by yourself or with friends, you’ve still got to put into practice what you’ve learned – that is the only way you’ll build up your confidence and skills – by doing it. Start small, session, work your way up.

joolsburger
    Free Member

All in the mind, a gap jump is just a tabletop with attitude.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

30s, too old, WHAT !!!!!

I’m late mid 40s and having a boatload of fun getting to grips with the Patriot I’ve just built.
    Did an Ed Oxley jumps and drops course a couple of years ago and have enjoyed getting airbourne ever since. I rode clipped in then for exactly the opposite reason to you (I wanted to make sure there was still a bike under me when I landed and was terrified that we might part company in mid air with flats) but I’ve since swapped to flats and much prefer them now.

tmb467
    Free Member

looking forward to doing Ed’s ‘Jumps for Dads’ course at some point

once I’ve put into practise what he taught me on the Stop Crashing one

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not too old at all…all in the head. Honest!

I was in the local words on Sunday and two chaps had built a pretty substantial gap jump. One of them must have been well into his forties, closing in on fifty and he was totally pinning it. Being almost 30 I felt a bit pathetic!

Start small and build up from there…I’ve always preferred tables and kickers to a gentle transition just in case.Can ride doubles though but not down owt huge.

honourablegeorge

37 now, couldn;t jump at all a while back, building 6ft drops on my local trails nowadays.

Start small, get comfortable, go bigger. No way you’re too old, but do it sensibly – the falls a teenager shrugs off take much longer to get over these days. Proper coaching wouldn’t hurt either.

handyandy
    Free Member

dont worry about the kids at the bmx tracks. I go to a few different ones, and most either ignore me, or chat to me. 🙂

backtothetop
    Free Member

Im with the Jedi quotes above! until 2 weeks ago i was too scared of doing drop offs and gap jumps. I went on a jumps and drops course with jedi(uk bike skills) and last week i done every jump and drop on the surface to air track at Aston hill. Once I got taught a technique i found it easier to confront my fears.

Im 29 so still a youngster in your eyes but i proved its possible.

Also dont ever feel pressured in to doing something, do it when YOUR ready for it, if its a risk your taking then its only human to be scared, get over it and go big.

onewheelgood

I’m 53 – had a great day with Jedi last October.

TiRed

Mid 40’s. Broke my collarbone on a very modest jump. I put it down to the fully rigid bike rather than absence of slill 🙂 . My sons laughed. A skills course beckons, but I prefer the wheels on the ground, personally.

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

I’m 34 and have the same problem with jumps

Heading to see mr jedi next month to cure this

flowerman
    Free Member

Dude you will be fine, think of all those 50 year old dh veterans racing bds!!!

backtothetop
    Free Member

Look at the photo above posted by onewheelgod,(this is one of the training jumps at ukbikeskills) the table top side of the jump was fine, but it took several attempts before id attempt the ‘gap’ side on the left, exactly the same jump but the gap really messes with your head. I believe that its doing that jump correctly that has cured me.

benjii19
    Free Member

Tabletop then is it all about pedalling fast up to it then?? and that gives you air to land on the other side???

I find myself bombing it for little jumps and then for some reason i brake before i hit it?? almost like a reflex action.

maxtorque

Fast? er no, in fact, you’d be amazed how slow you can go with the proper technique. On that famous herts table, you roll in from about 15 feet away without pedalling on a not very steep slope! it’s all about the pump 😉

benjii19
    Free Member

pump…as in push in to the lip of the jump??

maxtorque

http://ukbikeskills.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/paul-and-bobs-2-to-1-skills-session.html

watch the vid at the bottom! If i can do it, anyone can! 😉

kayak23

Was watching the 4x at Afan the other weekend. A dude in the vets was 65 and he was pretty fast down what is a rocky and techy course… Respect…
    This made me pleased. 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

When we’re you at steetley?

benjii19
    Free Member

Tuesday evening pal.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

scared to hell of coming off and breaking something.

nothing wrong with that – break something and you could miss riding for upwards of 3 months – the jumping had better be a lot of fun to justify that plus all the hassle of not driving, getting to work, etc.

But it worth going to see Jedi to learn to jump in case you ever have to because of an unexpected part of the trail, which will then reduce the risk of falling off.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I learnt to jump on a bike a few weeks before my 33rd Birthday… well I could do home made ramps as a kid but hadn’t tried in many years.

jumps.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘too scared or too old to learn’ is closed to new replies.