Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Too much sitting, do I need a kneeling chair?
  • mrchrist

After wfh over lockdown my back has started to give my some jip.

Been doing yoga and Pilates to strengthen it but was was wondering about getting a kneeling chair….

Anyone have one? Did it help with back pain? Or it is like snakeoil/anything sold by goop?

northshoreniall

Snakeoil, our physio hates them. Mayen see a physio to augment what you are doing already.
    Ask work for new chair?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

After a little research I recently bought a saddle stool. I seem to remember reading a fair bit saying the kneeling chairs weren’t particularly good for you.

Pieface

Try a physio cushion? Can’t remember what they’re called but they’re like a big whoppee cushion / flat Swiss ball. Have them partially inflated and it makes you use your lower back muscles more as it introduces instability

Northwind

I got one, a very cheap basic one- it was an instant improvement for the lower back and shoulder issues I was having. There’s some downsides- it definitely encourages me to be less mobile, there’s basically 2 sitting positions that work for me and they’re almost the same. But I still use it most of the time at the PC.

Richie_B

I tried a kneeler chair & found it just as easy to slouch in it as a normal chair so it was a waste of money

convert

Standing desk is what sir really needs.

mrchrist

Ohhh a standing desk!

shermer75
    Free Member

…or keep the chair you have and make sure you move every twenty mins. Set an alarm and either stand up (ideal) or if you can’t stand up then do pelvic tilts instead. No worries, that one’s a freeby

Keva
    Free Member

just stand up, but remember, in typical STW fashion you’ll need the correct shoes for all day standing! 🙄

Standing desks and footwear

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

HAG Capisco, been using mine for a few years.

It’s a perch/stool/seat (designed by the same chap who did the original kneeler I think) and is the only thing I can sit on all day without ache or pain

DT78
    Free Member

I use a combination of standing desk (lifeline turbo jobbie) and a yoga ball.

Back is still bad though 🙁

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

… in fact, when I do get back pain, sitting on the Capisco helps ease it.

(I use it with a sit-stand desk.)

grum
    Free Member

I saw an article with an academic who’s field was bio-mechanics or whatever – apparently lying down is better than sitting! In terms of pressure on your spine and compression of bowels etc anyway. I assume it’s not better in terms of being likely to get up and move about regularly.

cheese@4p

Try getting off your chair and kneeling on the floor for 10 mins every hour or 2. You can still work. Put your yoge mat down (folded) to protect your knees.

chaos

Try getting off your chair and kneeling on the floor for 10 mins every hour or 2.

Genius! Never even thought to try that.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I tried a kneeler chair & found it just as easy to slouch in it as a normal chair so it was a waste of money

This.

toby1

@Keva – The choice of footwear is key 😉

Maybe it’s because it’s the first week that I can stand and work, but I’ve only sat for about 3 hours so far this week. So although it is costly if I end up with a healthier back at the end of it, it’s worth the money. As for my feet, they’ll just have to get better at it, footwear or barefoot!

TiRed

I found the most comfortable position for me is perched on the end of the chair with a slightly rounded lip, with a seat pad underneath and my legs under the chair. No back support but very upright. Am sat like that now in a very expensive office chair, not using the support parts at all. A stool is a better option I think, and one I have seen that tilts forward looks very nice indeed. I’ve sat/knelt on a kneeling chair, and they don’t do it for me.

Also I keep a kettlebell next to the desk for a little exercise during meetings to help movement. Nothing too heavy – I’m a cyclist and upper body strength is anathema!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Not a skateboard, not a skateboard:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-in-1-40-MECHANICS-CREEPER-STOOL-SEAT-garage-workshop-trolley-TAC4001-car-/165138684802?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Seriously though, you’re posture will improve by sitting on one of these (locking castors would be nice).

Maybe a lower desk, too?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Too much sitting, do I need a kneeling chair?’ is closed to new replies.