Too much lights information need some guidance

Home Forum Bike Forum Too much lights information need some guidance

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Too much lights information need some guidance
  • SixFootTwo

Guy and girls,

there is a load of info about lights across multiple forums out there and I could probably pour over it for hours in an internet research type way but by then it will be summer 2014 and light again 🙂 Given STW has always come up trumps on advice what I I’m after is a DX set up for head and bars that most people agree on (yes I know how unlikely that is but you have to ask). I’m quite happy waterproofing and fettling with the soldering iron if needed.

I am a night ride virgin but the clocks changing has pushed me into action.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

in my humble opinion…

1000ish lumens on the handlebars*.

200ish lumens on your helmet*.

the light on the handlebar is lower than your eyes, so you can see shadows behind the ‘texture’ of the path ahead, i find these shadows really help. While you don’t want to fill them in with a super-bright light that’s above your eyes, it’s good to have *something* that points a light where your head is looking.

it works for me and i’ve got rubbish eyesight.

(*my lights claim 900/180 lumens, so probably less than that actually)

SixFootTwo

I’ve noticed from reading that stated lumens on the DX lights are a little optimistic so can I ask is that a stated brightness on the box or an actual brightness?

nwgiles

If you have the brightest lights, you ride at the back to throw the most shadows and intimidate people with your lumensuperiousity

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

i’ve done a cheeky edit…

my bar-light is a Luu jobbie that’s about 3 years old.

my helmet light is a fenix L2D, which compares well with a mk1 exposure joystick. The joystick is a bit brighter/spreadier, but not loads.

what’s awesome is that you can get a seriously effective set-up for WAAAAY less than £200.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

very dependant on whether you are solo or with a group, and if the latter, how bright theirs are IMO

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

You could do a lot worse than this kit

C & B seen

Although you would need a second battery

I use one of the C and B seen lights on my bars and a Solarstorm X2 on my helmet

I think the C and B seen light is better made and has a better quality battery and charger (although this might be luck).

Alternatively two Solarstorm X2s but be prepared to buy better batteries. Fasttech seems to be the favoured ebay seller

Anyway you can get a decent two light set up for under £100

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

Seconded the C&B Seen stuff. For £40 mine is easily comparable to my Exposure Toro which was knocking on the door of £300. Comes with both helmet and bar mount in the box, a really nice bit of kit and their customer support is meant to be very good

SixFootTwo

Iain – predominantly riding solo I suspect so I can keep my miles up over winter.

Rich – with the Solarstorm on your helmet where do you put the battery pack? Also why a 2nd battery for the C&B set up (which I like the look of a lot)?

Premier Icon adsh
    Subscriber

Height trumps lumens. 1600 lumen maxx d on the bars is not nearly as bright as 550 lumen lupine on the helmet.

Never depend on one light alone and always have a headlight for mechanicals

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Six foot too

With the Solarstorm on my helmet the battery goes in my Camelbak. Its not perfect but it means you aren’t tethered to the bike. Battery for the C&B seen light is velcroed to the top tube.

The C&B seen set up only has a single battery so you are going to be tethered to the bike – either the helmet light attached to the battery on the bike somewhere or the bar light attached to a battery in your backpack. A second battery would solve this.

The C&B Seen light is very good – the only thing I would mark it down for is only having two levels – ie high and low (plus two usless flashing modes) a medium setting would have been good. But in fairness for the average 90 minute night ride I do it can stay on high the whole time without me worrying too much about the battery

Lumenator from Smudge, helmet mounted, for £120, no need for a bar light. It’s 2000 claimed lumens and arround 1500 actual.

I’ve also got an original P7 bastid which I tried as a helmet light with the lumenator on the bars, but it didn’t really add much over having the lumenator on my head.

Some people struggle with depth perception with helmet mounted lights as they tend to flatten everything but most of my riding is fairly familiar muddy/rooty singletrack so not such a problem as line choice is fairly simple and if the person in front can ride it as that speed you’re just following their wheel.

Premier Icon legspin
    Subscriber

If you hate faff, Maxx D on your bars and a Joystick on your lid. A few extra mounts for each bike.
    No more messing about with batteries and cables 🙂

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

I’m with Legspin, not having cables flapping and batteries clonking off the frame makes Exposure lights a winner for me. That and the “honest” lumen claims, beam pattern “quality” & lack of exploding batteries and chargers it’s a price worth paying. I used to run Chinese lanterns but whining chargers and having a unit go pop as I plugged it in and scuppered a ride.

SixFootTwo

I’m just not ready to spend hundreds on lights just yet so am going to cheapo route for now to see if I use them longer term or not.

SixFootTwo

OK so Lumenator or the C&B Seen for the handlebars, single flashlight for the helmet?

SixFootTwo

bump for any other input before pushing the buy button(s)

Premier Icon specializedneeds
    Subscriber

Fluxient lights from amazon.co.uk is my recommendation. Reviews on TorchyTheBatteryBoy.com. The cheap DX lights / torches are good, but the batteries let them down massively. By the time you start replacing them with decent batteries, you may as we’ll have gone with something decent from the start. And that’s before we even start worrying about chargers that catch fire etc. And the fettling to get a reliable set up, that doesn’t leave you in the dark at the worst possible moment. Save yourself the hassle and get out in the bike instead.

Torch on your helmet, no cables – Fluxient U2 mini, £40
    (with an Exposure Joystick mount, available separately from CRC)
    Bar mount light on you bars – Fluxient XM-L2, £70

That’s all you need. More light would only be required for an arms race.

bartimaeus

C8 XM-U3 (would probably go XM-L2 now) on bars (£15) and 501b XML-2 on lid (£8)… maybe with another 501b as a spare. Mounts about £1.50 each, charger £5 and cells free from old laptops.

SixFootTwo

Brilliant, thanks gents, great advice.

If you hate faff, Maxx D on your bars and a Joystick on your lid. A few extra mounts for each bike.
    No more messing about with batteries and cables

Yep, though I have Maxx-D and Diablo! With the amount of night riding I do and my tight windows of opportunity the extra cost for almost zero hassle was worth it vs my previous (much) cheaper lights.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Too much lights information need some guidance’ is closed to new replies.