Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Too much fruit?
  • edhornby

My other half says eating more than one banana a day is bad for you but that sounds like a load of tosh. I have one as soon as I get into work, one mid morning or early afternoon and then one before riding back home (I’m a regular cycle commuter). I also have oranges as snacks and an apple at lunchtime.

Is there such a thing as too much fruit and is that me? I don’t have a bad stomach btw

fossy

Sounds fine.

Drac

Your wife is a Daily Mail reader, my deepest sympathy.

greenjam
    Free Member

Most people don’t eat enough fruit (or veg) four bananas is nothing , some vegans eat far more than that and they are all fine .

joshvegas
    Free Member

I hadthis with an ex. Insistant that mire than one banana was poisonous.

Not Norther Irish is she?

stevious

ONly thing I can think of is loads of fruit = loads of sugar.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Fruit contains lots of sugar, but that’s the only bad thing – sounds like you lead an active lifestyle so will easily make good use of the sugar.

As per government guidelines, we should be aiming for (at least) 5 a day!

scaredypants

there’s a bit of sugar in a banana – meh

there’s a moderate amount of potassium – either meh or more likely a good thing (assuming you’re healthy)

they’re a bit shit though so I steer clear

oldnpastit

What happens to fruitareans? I guess they spend a lot more time on the loo, but that’s not the same as being bad for you.

thejesmonddingo

They have more potassium in them than most fruit,a charge nurse I worked for in Cardiff wouldn’t let his patients have more than one a day,cos he thought it made heart attacks more likely.A lovely bloke,but mad as a fish.

Drac

They have more potassium in them than most fruit,a charge nurse I worked for in Cardiff wouldn’t let his patients have more than one a day,cos he thought it made heart attacks more likely.A lovely bloke,but mad as a fish.

A small risk for those with sodium imbalance you can sometimes see ECG changes on those who have just eaten a banana.

greenjam
    Free Member

The sugar in whole fruit is noting to worry about , due to the fibre you don’t absorb it in the same way as juice or pop , whole fruit doesn’t cause the same insulin spike because of the fibre .

thejesmonddingo

It was the High Dependency Unit for elderly care,they were mostly monitored anyway,he just had a bee in his bonnet about it.

fossy

The potassium is good, especially if you are exercising.  Yes, 10 a day is bonkers, but 3 is fine. Lots of vitamins, fibre and sugar, but it’s better than other crap. You are eating them at the right times as well.

CraigW
    Free Member

Why not 30 bananas a day? http://www.30bananasaday.com/

Drac
    CountZero

Aren’t bananas radioactive, though? I guess you’ll know when you’ve had too many when you glow gently in the dark…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The sugar in whole fruit is noting to worry about , due to the fibre you don’t absorb it in the same way as juice or pop , whole fruit doesn’t cause the same insulin spike because of the fibre .

I understood that you get less of an insulin spike because whole fruit sugar is predominantly fructose, which goes straight the the liver where it has to go through some metabolic hoops, and as such its release is both delayed and moderated.

bigjim

I eat 2 – 3 bananas a day. the only concern I have is 18 litres of chemicals are used to produce one box of bananas.

fossy

Fruit doesn’t give the same insulin spike as ‘sugar’ – my son is Type 1.  It’s a damn site better than white bread and other stuff you can eat.

Bananas are a good energy food – some simple sugars, some long absorbed sugars – they are great to take 2 or 3 on a long ride. Biodegradable wrappers too.

Drac

Biodegradable wrappers too.

Eventually.

funkmasterp

They are dangerous. Have you not read the articles that appear in local papers roughly once a fortnight?

Pensioner finds giant face eating spider in bunch of bananas.

Zoologists unable to identify spider found in banana crate by banana packer. Banana plant quarantine in effect.

Whole family of deadly poisonous arachnids find new home in supermarket fruit section. Mum of three in critical condition. Bananas to blame!

etc

wobbliscott
    Free Member

“I hadthis with an ex. Insistant that mire than one banana was poisonous.”

She’s sort of correct. Bananas contain Potassium which is both radioactive and poisonous to the body. If you consume enough of it it will kill you for sure. However the levels are so low in bananas you couldn’t possibly eat enough quickly enough for the levels of Potassium in your body to build put to anywhere near dangerous levels, or for the levels of radioactivity to become dangerous. So go for your life. I love bananas and struggle with other more acidic fruits which seem to go though me like a bullet form a gun. More than one Orange and I’ll be on the toilets squitting pure acid.

ransos
    Free Member

Who, in the history of the world, got fat from eating too many apples?

Drac

She’s sort of correct. Bananas contain Potassium which is both radioactive and poisonous to the body. If you consume enough of it it will kill you for sure. However the levels are so low in bananas you couldn’t possibly eat enough quickly enough for the levels of Potassium in your body to build put to anywhere near dangerous levels, or for the levels of radioactivity to become dangerous.

It would have been easier to say she’s incorrect.

funkmasterp

^^and quicker too

oldnpastit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose

Apparently the radioactivity isn’t a concern – as fast as you eat the bananas, the radioactive potassium is excreted.

I guess if you had really bad constipation and a urinary tract problem it could be a different story, but then you’ve got bigger problems than being irradiated.

hols2
    Free Member

Biodegradable wrappers too.

Edible wrappers too. Banana skins are highly nutritious. It boils my piss to think of all that perfectly good food send off to landfills.

slowoldman

How do you cook them?

jimdubleyou

boils my piss

How do you cook them?

The answer is clear…

dhmky
    Free Member

On the TV programme QI they asked what the recommended amount of daily fruit and veg should be… everyone guessed 5 portions of different fruit and veg a day (based on Government guide).

The answer… apparently was that there is no limit. There reason behind the government guide of 5-a-day was based on the perception that this quantity was achievable and attainable for most people and therefore by suggesting a recommended daily allowance of 5-a-day more people would aim to eat this quantity (as most people supposedly don’t)!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Isn’t potassium explosive when introduced to water? That can’t be a good combination in your mouth surely? 😉

nickhit3
    Free Member

with the utmost respect to the OP, your partner’s grasp of nutrition is moronic. The only issue any human would face with eating ”too much fruit” is adding a calorie surplus to your daily energy needs leading to weight gain over time. As other point out, demonising fruit or vegatable of any kind in the diet is utterly nonsensical and harmful at best. Get them down you. Or up you if you prefer., its 2018 after all.

scuttler

edhornby

I’m glad I’m not going mad 🙂 the fruit sits on the desk to make sure I don’t start troffing biscuits and the like which seem to be a semi-permanent fixture in offices nowadays

it’s the arsenic in the apple pips you have to worry about !!! ha ha

Cougar

it’s the arsenic in the apple pips you have to worry about !!! ha ha

It’s cyanide in apple pips.  (Arsenic is between your bumcheeks…)

ThePilot
    Free Member

You can definitely eat too much fruit for your teeth. Not sure bananas are a problem but citrus fruit can be pretty damaging to your teeth. Great for you in lots of other ways so I guess it’s about balance.

vongassit
    Free Member

Frelee the banana girl. All I’m saying

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Too much fruit?’ is closed to new replies.