Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Too many options – Which trail bike?
  • justatheory
    Free Member

Canyon Nerve? There’s a new carbon framed version that looks very nice, good price too.

EDIT: Under £2400 for a full carbon frame, full XT and a Reverb with hidden hose

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2753

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’m going to do what most do and recommend the bike I’ve (well, the OH) got – Camber. Had a Trance myself but sold it to get a Pitch as I just need all six inches of travel for the gnarr that is Surrey. Missus has a Camber though, which I’ve <cough> borrowed on a fair few occasions and it’s just a fun, playful bike that always seemed to be capable of taking on far more than I thought.

As others have said, if FS gives you the confidence to ride more stuff and as a consequence you have more fun then screw the naysayers – tis why I have one!

continuity
    Free Member

Had a Trance myself but sold it to get a Pitch as I just need all six inches of travel for the gnarr that is Surrey

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

😉

There was a smidge of tongue-in-cheek there, in case anyone missed it…

mbarnes
    Free Member

Zesty

fudge9202
    Free Member

Transition Bandit 😀

pstevensnz
    Free Member

+1 for a Canyon Nerve.

I bought one over an EX8. Both are good bikes, but I went with the canyon as it seemed much better value (ie spec) for similar money. Down side obviously is not being able to try before you buy, but they do have a returns policy.

backtothetop
    Free Member

+1 for giant trance here too,fantastic bike that soaks up all the bumps and still climbs very well. However mine is currently awaiting replacement after the frame developed a hairline crack on a weld,(after only 9 months) so id only buy a new one as to get the warranty.

bigad40
    Free Member

2nd shout for Transition Bandit.

torbster
    Free Member

Transition Bandit

and I thought this was a personal dig at me 🙂 These are new to me, will check them out. Cheers.

torbster
    Free Member

It appears that popular consensus is the Fuel, I have just also been strongly recommended the Norco Sight 2 and see this won trail bike of the year. Any experience of these out there?

These will be my next test rides.

Cheers.

jimjam
    Free Member

torbster – Member

It appears that popular consensus is the Fuel, I have just also been strongly recommended the Norco Sight 2 and see this won trail bike of the year. Any experience of these out there?

The Norco is a great bike, just be mindful of the fact that it’s 140mm with a relatively slack head angle. The previous models were 120mm and felt very much like the old 120mm spesh stumpjumper/camber/ghost amr, unsurprisingly.

Speaking in huge, sweeping generalities, a 120mm bike will be a bit more sprightly and engaging on single track than a 140mm counterpart. You may find that a typical 140mm bike, out of the box will feel a bit slower, possibly a bit heavier than a simialarly priced 120mm bike, but these can usually be overcome with set up or component choice.

Kryton57

All round trail bike with the minimum of foibles = Trek EX
    More efficiency = Giant Trance
    You like to feel you suspension moving = Specialized
    Live in the North – Orange 5
    Smug factor of owning something slightly niche but generally avaialble = Turner Flux

Combo of all = Yeti ASR5. 😀

torbster
    Free Member

Thanks Jimjam, I was concerned about the 140mm travel but the reviews say this is not too much of an issue on this bike (Norco), apparently very capable and quick through single track, only a test ride will tell I guess.

Kryton57, a Yeti, I wish, years ago I owned a Yeti ARC, loved that bike.

nick1962
    Free Member

b) ludicrous shock placement – I saw one at Llandegla last Aunday and the shock was literally caked in grit, oil and mud and on every compression this was being forced into it.

What about ludicrous vowel placement? 🙂
    I’d get a Genesis 853 Alpitude hardtail BTW. 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Classic STW thread, would tell anyone new to this site everything they need to know. Never post a thread asking for an opinion on A, B & C , the answer will always be that fixie steel rigid bike from the 90s that you didnt realise you wanted.

Have to agree that “trails” needs defining though 😉

“Over Biked & Proud”

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I prefer to be under-biked, . . it’s more fun, more challenging on the downs and a damn site easier on the ups. IMHO

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrong. It’s not more challenging on the downs just slower. Really.
    Edit; underbiked is only better if the trails aren’t particularly good.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Wrong. It’s not more challenging on the downs just slower. Really.

wooooh with the big tar brush . . .

i don’t think you realise quite how good a bike handler I really am . . . 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Erm…this is STW. That’s the way things are done here. 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d go try a fuel Ex. They really are great bikes, up and down.
    I don’t own one but a few friends do and they’re really great little bikes. I wasn’t so keen on the spesh camber at all.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’ve recently gone from a santa cruz heckler to a rockhopper as i’d gone from biking a lot to never biking and then the dog got old enough to come with me and now I go 3/4 times a week and have gone back to a full suss and gone for my first zesty the 314 but the womens version. Absolutely love it! Climbs brilliantly for a bike of its weight and descends very well too. Dont plan on ever getting another bike but if you do get one save a bit more money because soon you’ll need a new headset and bottom bracket as the supplied ones are worse than rubbish.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    All round trail bike with the minimum of foibles = Trek EX
    More efficiency = Giant Trance
    You like to feel you suspension moving = Specialized
    Live in the North – Orange 5
    Smug factor of owning something slightly niche but generally avaialble = Turner Flux

Combo of all = Yeti ASR5.

Great, I’m going to swap to an Orange Five then. Nah, actually I think I can pick one up for not much.

Glad that Trek Fuel got the vote so far, my favorite in 20 years of riding : 🙂

Kryton57

Tbh the Trek was second on my list only by virtue I got the ASR for the same price as the Trek (ex demo). Otherwise I’d be riding the Trek now!

joat

Has anybody mentioned a Lappierre X Flow? May just be the ticket.

gfletch
    Free Member

giant anthem / trance, mint

gfletch
    Free Member

giant anthem / trance, mint

stewartc
    Free Member

My answer to every thread like this, get a Blur TRc, best trail bike ever*

* in my opinion, opinion my vary

continuity
    Free Member

Actually I have to disagree with all of the suggestions for a Fuel EX. The dual chamber design makes tuning the rear shock a **** NIGHTMARE (I had a remedy with the DCRV). Either too little air and it’s nice on chatter, but as soon as chamber 2 opens BOOM bottom out, or enough to get midstroke support once the second chamber opens and it feels like a hardtail.

torbster
    Free Member

The dual chamber design makes tuning the rear shock a **** NIGHTMARE

Cheers Continuity, I have read that this can be a bit fiddly.

All, I have set my sights on the Norco, the trouble is the Sight 2 is no longer available and if it is Evans are not going to drop the price as with their other models as the bike is in demand. Contemplating the Sight 3, same frame just without XT but hey group sets can be upgraded..

chakaping
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be put off by the DRCV shock myself, it’s really easy to get working great on the 2012 Fuel EX. Probably the best air suspension I’ve ridden actually.

stumpy01

I have to say that I wasn’t impressed with the Fuel EX when I test rode one. Nor were the two mate who were riding with me that day. I booked a Fuel EX9 & a Stumpjumper FSR to test. The FSR widdled all over the Fuel EX IMO.
    It went up stuff better, down stuff better, gripped better, gave me loads more confidence & we spent ages trying to get the suspension to work how we thought it should on the EX, but it just felt really harsh all the time. We didn’t do anything to the suspension on the Stumpjumper, but it just seemed to get on with it.

Also wanted to try a Zesty but nearest demo bike was ~300 miles away!

continuity
    Free Member

Zesty is fsr, so.

I have to agree to an extent that a “knowable” suspension design with a good shock and tune will easily outperform a ludicrous gimmick on the shock or suspension. It’s part of the reason Orange bikes are so popular, is that it’s very easy to tune suspension for them.

dab

Feel your pain
    I Recently replaced my 06-07 stumpy fsr comp
    Demo’d loads of different bikes and in the end the whyte t120s and stumpy were the clear
    Favourites, also had a trance x2 on loan whilst my neighbour was offshore

Decided on a stump evo comp in the end as I wanted a bigger bike
    For light dh / and harder riding

I’d have been happy with any of the 3 bikes above
    Good luck

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I think a lot of the bikes mentioned are in fact pretty similar- the important thing IMHO is getting the suspension set up right for you. Some bikes this seems dead easy, others its a little harder. Buy one that fits and take the time to properly set up both fork and shock and it’ll be brill 🙂

ant0463
    Free Member

I’ll say simply this; I was in the exact same position as you last year and settled for the Lapierre Zesty 314 (2011 model) on a recomendation.

650 off-road miles later in the Scottish Highlands, and I can honestly say it has been superb! It climbs, drops, and has taken everything I have thrown at it on the chin.

It’s a year old next month, and only now starting to show any signs of wear (about to replace rear casette, chain, front ring, and service the shock and forks).

deviant
    Free Member

I use a Saracen Ariel 140mm for everything, by some standards on here its fairly crude….bit heavy, single pivot design etc….but its bombproof, it soaks up my ham fisted attempts as DH and Gravity Enduro but also allows me to pootle about for several hours cross county on a relaxing sunday afernnon….i love it, its a keeper.

If you can still find the original 2011 batch bikes they are also gobsmackingly cheap, you wont find a bad review on them either:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/38720/Saracen_Ariel_2_Bike_2011

£1300 quid for this bike!…..i paid £1500 at the start of this year, i can see them going for close to a grand by the years end….superb and highly recommended.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OP, haven’t read he whole thread but two comments (sorry that they are a bit cliched)

1. There are very few BAD bikes out there, at least among well known brands
    2. Horses-for-courses – I have demo-ed bikes that have great followings but feel like wheelbarrows to me and vice versa. There really is no substitute for trying.

The last demo day I did highlighted the incredible range of opinions on the same bikes on the same runs! The only one that achieved a consensus was the Spesh camber which everyone liked. Otherwise there were two very distinct camps – those who suited a more XC style set up and those who suited a more trail/AM version.

I was surprised to find that where I fitted in, was the opposite of what I thought! So the message about demoing is clear for me.

Good luck with the purchase!

aftershock
    Free Member

Scott Genius does everything well, no need to look at any other bike.

Northwind

The normal thing to do is to just buy one based on a kneejerk uninformed preference, then convince yourself it’s definately the best bike in the world, and way better than all those bikes you’ve never ridden.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Too many options – Which trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.