Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Too many bikes – Rationalisation ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

ok.

I have too many bikes and i want to rationalise.

i love the idea of one bike that i can lavish time and effort on…

I find myself riding my VF2 more than any of the others… It’s just better and brilliant for where and what i ride.

however, i’m still updating and occasionally riding the others if the mood takes me, but the VF2 is just brilliant for what i do.

should I sell the others on the classifieds / keep them for when the mood takes / sell the lot and spend the proceeds on one bike to do it all ?

problem with the others is they are not worth selling at classifieds prices….. they’re worth more to me and they all hold emotional attachments….

what did you do ?

coogan
    Free Member

Wanted something else = sold them. Simple.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m in a similar situation. my plan is to just ignore the fact. I know this is of no help, sorry

colande
    Free Member

the way i rationalise my 5 bikes is, that they must be different from one another, so cant have two road bikes that are effectively the same, etc, posh bike status isn’t allowed,
    it meant that my steel road bike had to be changed and so I converted it into a fixed wheel.
    so my fleet goes,
    road bike with gears
    road bike fixed
    tourer/commuter mtb, with pannier etc
    xc hardtail mtb
    and finally full suspension mtb, but i’m helped here with it being 100-140mm travel frame so could be setup into lots of different ways,

also 5 bikes is the ceiling for the number i’m allowed to have, if i go above then something has to be broken down.

the_lecht_rocks

mtb rationalisation from the following :

Hummer SS
    Ti456 on Float 140’s.
    VF2 on Rev Dual Air Teams
    Helius AM on 36 Float 160’s.

All different, but the VF2 is just better than the rest, so thought of building a truly awesome incarnation of the VF2…..

coogan
    Free Member

Then do that, sounds the best option. I only have three bikes (commuter, FS and hardtail) and have no wish for any more.

FOG

I just have fads on the various bikes in my collection. I will ride, say, the HT all the time for a few weeks and decide that’s all I need until I ride the FS prior to sale, decide I love it and it’s back to square one. And of course there is no point in selling the 16yr old rigid steel cos it’s not worth anything and it comes in handy when you need to go some where and leave the bike locked up. It’s so scruffy it must be nearly scrote proof.

the_lecht_rocks

fog – thats the problem. sell one and then i’d pine for it……etc…….

pop-larkin
    Free Member

To me they all are very similar- I had the smae dilemna in that I had a full sus, a ti456 and ss- I now have a Trek ex8 for big days and a ss rigid 29er (swift) for most days- to me this gives distinctly different choices

slowrider
    Free Member

I’m going the other way. After spending the last couple of years changing bike after bike in search of a trail bike that can do it all I’ve bought a nice 140mm trail bike and a budget dh’er to stop me making my trail bike super heavy (like the last 4!)

Conqueror
    Free Member

1 mtb
    1 road

should be enough?

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

I’d take the Hummer off your hands, but I doubt you’d be happy with the price I’d pay…..

Junkyard
    Free Member

5 required imho
    road- commuter but good quality
    SS- winter
    hardtail- well you have to
    FS- summer and proper mountains
    hack bike/tourer shopping etc it is functional not recreational

dont really see point of more of the same and above this you end up having bikes you ride just to ride them and have too many wheels and maintenance

coogan
    Free Member

SS- winter

is just an excuse to have another bike.

Never understood this. I use my HT and FS all year in any condition.

Gordymac
    Free Member

the way i rationalise my 5 bikes is, that they must be different from one another

That sounds good to me.

Full sus- XTR
    Ti hardtail- XT
    Cross bike- Shimano 105
    Road bike- Sram Rival
    Winter hardtail- Alfine

Do i pass ❓

Gordymac

uplink
    Free Member

1 mtb
    1 road

should be enough?

with the addition of a pub/hack bike, agreed

Junkyard
    Free Member

SS is not essential but neiter is suspension,disk brakes etc
    depends where you ride re mud and grit no way I would ride my best bike in winter round here I can not be bothered cleaning/relubing a bike at 10 30 at night in the rain at suz zero temps etc

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

1 BMX, 1 MTB, 1 Road Bike. Dont really see the point in having bikes lying about that arent getting ridden (like my bmx)

Sell your SS and Nicolai

danti

Get shot of the Hummer (you can SS the 456 for winter) and the Helius as too similar to VF2.
    Swap the 36 Floats onto either 456 (reduce to 140) or VF2.

You’d get more money back from those 2 as they’re more desirable brands/frames.

There, sorted…

Then get yourself a Steel/Ti 29er SS 🙂

forge197
    Free Member

Am in a simlar position built up a 120mm FS with nice bits and it’s made my hardtail unused, so will sell that as the new FS does all I need and is fun, also have a DH bike for uplift fun.

I would sell what you don’t use and make what you do use better.

coogan
    Free Member

I ride in Scotland, so used to mud, grit and all the rain! Clean them? Never thought of that before. I leave ’em muddy!

the_lecht_rocks

mmmmmmmmmm…. float 36’s at 140mm on the 456 would be sweet……..

MoreCashThanDash

Budgetary constraints mean I have 3 bikes – MTB, road and commuter – which do all I require/actually need.

Ideally, I’d like winter and summer versions of the MTB and road bikes, which would be 5 altogether.

Obviously a lottery win and subsequent early retirement would require the addition of tourers, FS and 29ers……

BadlyWiredDog

should I sell the others on the classifieds / keep them for when the mood takes / sell the lot and spend the proceeds on one bike to do it all ?

problem with the others is they are not worth selling at classifieds prices….. they’re worth more to me and they all hold emotional attachments….

Garden sculpture.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Told you the VF2 is a good bike:)

Keep the 456 and or hummer sell the rest.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Now if only chumba would make that new link for the VF2 that they promised…

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Banshee Spitfire with Lyriks for trail, light DH
    Banshee Scythe for DH
    Transition TransAM SS for training
    456C with gears
    Cheap road bike for more training

I could probably get rid of the 456C and not miss it too much, but it is my best bike for racing at the moment. I will ride it quite a bit when I get some more forks for it. Need an XC FS to race next…..

More = good.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Now if only chumba would make that new link for the VF2 that they promised…

Having spent a lot of time on the VF2 I have to say it is just fine as it is 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Too many bikes – Rationalisation ?’ is closed to new replies.