Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Too loud man, too loud.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Why do some folk wait till they’re on a bus to make phone calls?
    Scenario…
    Council minibus which does a journey from Thirsk to Ripon, we pick up 6 people in Thirsk, a solo chap, a couple, & a woman with 2 teenagers. One of the teenagers is obviously autistic (I’m going to wait for the slating about how it was obvious) & chatty.
    10 minutes into the journey music on a phones speaker starts blaring out, something you usually hear when your in a queue to a call centre or similar. My 1st thoughts are that the teenage lad has a trait where he needs something repetitive going on so I ignore it, pleased that he’s happy.
    Next thing, the music stops & the bloke with the woman who got on starts a conversation with James Cook hospital explaining about how he’s been bleeding from his stomach (?) & having chest pains! All this loud enough so everyone else is unable to NOT hear it. I mean WTF?
    As soon as he’s finished that call he’s on the phone to his mate saying, ‘yeah mate, I got that fish you wanted, yeah yeah…no I’m cushty mate no worries, see ya later’
    You know when you wish you could gag someone, or chuck them off a bus? That.

IdleJon

Why not make a phone call when you have limited opportunity to do anything else constructive, as when on a bus?

Would you have been annoyed if he had been speaking quietly?

sharkattack

All public transport is like this, all the time.

I use these…

I don’t know how I ever lived without them.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Why not make a phone call when you have limited opportunity to do anything else constructive, as when on a bus?

He’s going to Ripon for a look round the shops, he could’ve found somewhere quiet in town.
    If he’d been speaking quietly I probably wouldn’t have heard him in the 1st place would I?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Its the phone on speaker and holding it flat like they do on TV shows so we all hear the sorry story.
    They get annoyed when you join in.

Keva
    Free Member

what a strange question to ask considering the title and content of the post.

fossy

What’s this ‘bus’ you talk about.

fasthaggis

Essel,you should have just stared straight at him ,all the while nodding your head as if you are listening to his every word.
    Oh hang,you were. 😜🤣🙃👍

scuttler

Identity theft him.

IdleJon

what a strange question to ask considering the title and content of the post.

I was really responding to the first line of the thread:

Why do some folk wait till they’re on a bus to make phone calls?

As you suggest, the phone bit is irrelevant. Loud man will be loud, whether he’s on the phone. Aka some people are idiots in everything they do.

matt_outandabout

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Its the wife she1s poisoning him !

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Essel,you should have just stared straight

Well I suppose I could’ve, except I may have veered off the road.
    Normal for me but only when I’m on the bike.
    If I’d stared at him through the inferior mirror he wouldn’t have known I was staring at him.

Dickyboy

If I’d stared at him through the inferior mirror he wouldn’t have known I was staring at him.

Need to get a better mirror.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Need to get a better mirror.

You obviously haven’t driven a Merc Sprinter minibus! The interior mirror is inferior to those in other modes of transport.
    Anyway, it’s all your elephant.

wordnumb
    Free Member

A lot of medical organisations are triaging by phone post-covid, they might not give an exact time they’ll call to discuss whether a person is ill enough to justify treating, in which case he wouldn’t have wanted to tell them to call back later instead of annoying the rest of the bus. The second call, objection sustained, next witness…

rakas

For a bus between Thirsk and Ripon you got off pretty lightly if that’s your biggest complaint.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Sounds a bit County Lines that trip essel?

Anyway… i live not far from Thirsk and i must say the White Horse is a tremendous fish and chip shop…

However a day trip from Thirsk to Ripon is a bit “coals to Newcastle” some good pubs in Ripon however….

IdleJon

At risk of sounding even more stupid, what’s a council minibus? Yes, a minibus operated by the council, but why? Replacing a bus service?

I talk really loudly on the phone – it’s not intentional and I’m oblivious to the fact that I’m doing it, until someone points it out

Wouldn’t it of been your right to ask him to be quieter for all on boards comfort?

I’d be looking at yourself to have a word with after this event.

ElShalimo

I was on the train to London last week and an old (80+) posh speaking lady was having a FaceTime call at full volume in a quiet carriage so everyone heard every detail for 25-30 mins.

Apparently the cost of living crisis is hitting her very hard, she’s flying to Spain this week to visit her ex MP friend for a  few weeks (she beat Liz Truss in 2005) and her winter plans have radically changed. Just the one month in New Zealand and staying in the same cottage as she can’t travel around too much whilst there due to cost.

spooky_b329

If you’re the driver, I bet the rest of the minibus would tolerate some nice loud music (perhaps not during a possibly important call to the hospital, but definitely for the second call)

martymac

Upon reading the thread title, I immediately thought it was a reference to ‘Action Not Words’ by Def Leppard, which says exactly the same words right at the end of the song.

mos

‘you’ll have to speak up, I can’t hear you’. No, just put your f@cking phone to your ear instead of holding it like a Ryvita you ****t before I smash it with my palm & drive it through your teeth!

kentishman
    Free Member

There is a reason why people talk louder on train and buses. They can’t help it. It’s the Lombard effect.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

At risk of sounding even more stupid, what’s a council minibus? Yes, a minibus operated by the council, but why? Replacing a bus service?

Correct. Replacing a few services that ceased due to previous operators packing them in because of lack of revenue.
    It’s a service which has to be provided apparently, it’s mainly old biddies who fancy a change of scenery or may have an appointment somewhere.
    The cooncil must be losing a small fortune on them.

I talk really loudly on the phone – it’s not intentional and I’m oblivious to the fact that I’m doing it,

Me too actually, only I rarely phone the hospital & announce my medical problems to everyone.

I’ll also mention the fact that this bloke & his Mrs aren’t very popular with other passengers since he would never wear a mask during covid times (& apparently had been quite rude to someone who challenged him, dunno if he had an exemption card) nor will he wear a seatbelt because he’s exempt from wearing those also. All us drivers can do is advise that the wearing of seat belts is in the councils transport policy but we can’t force anyone to use them.

Hey ho though.

ElShalimo

Weren’t mask exemptions a made up thing?

My friend said she had an exemption but she didn’t and nobody ever challenged her. I never saw any evidence of an official exemption scheme.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.