Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • “Too gentlemanly for lycra”
  • neilthewheel

I was out on the “sensible” touring bike on Saturday; stopped on a bench in a small Northumberland village to eat a muesli bar. A man with a dog walked by and said, “Good morning, I’m pleased to see you’re not wearing lycra!”
    I said, “Well, I might be underneath!” (I was, of course).
    He said, “No, you look to gentlemanly for lycra!” and he walked off to the big house opposite.
    I mean, really!

martinhutch

I said, “Well, I might be underneath!”

Stupid Sexy Neil the Wheel.

maccruiskeen

Get your coat. You’ve pulled.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

He wants gardening done

Cougar

I’m pleased to see you’re not wearing lycra!

“Excellent, I’m pleased to see you’re not wearing tweed. You’re not gentlemanly enough.”

Cougar

“That’s a surprise, you look too gentlemanly to be a judgemental prick.”

oldnpastit

Likely has been taught to hate cyclists by the Daily Mail.

BillMC

Funny that, I could have sworn that lycra, oranges, neck scarfs and canes were quite popular amongst the ruling ‘elite’. I was once in a pub in Great Brington and some porcine posh piece of work wanted to ‘jokily’ give my Mrs’ lycra-clad backslide a slap. My (long gone) years of violent sports must have come through my face and I think he realised it might not be such a good idea after all. I sorely regret now not having fully articulated my feelings but I didn’t want a record or be banned from the otherwise excellent pub.

kerley
    Free Member

I would have removed the shorts to show the lycra with a “tadaaa”

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

This thread is about as good a place as any to ask this lycra related question…

If going for a pootle in this heatwave with temps around 30C, is body-clinging cycling kit better at giving the feeling of being cooled, or would baggy shorts/t-shirt be better?

Wally

I read this title all too wrong, Dirk Diggler.

matt_outandabout

trumpton
    Free Member

Maybe he talking about being to proud to show yourbulge off.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

By gentlemanly, did he mean rotund? 🙂

nbt

n0b0dy0ftheg0at wrote:

If going for a pootle in this heatwave with temps around 30C, is body-clinging cycling kit better at giving the feeling of being cooled, or would baggy shorts/t-shirt be better?

I’d say proper cycling kit. good at wicking and close fitting so more efficient transfer of seeat from the body, it wil then evaporate

hols2
    Free Member

Thread is useless without pics.

maccruiskeen

I said, “Well, I might be underneath!”

Its not what you’re wearing underneath he was commenting on what you’re wearing on top. Its your hat. No gentleman would wear a top hat with lycra. Not even CFH.

singlespeedstu

Reminds me of stopping off in a pub mid ride once and a local red trouser wearer taking a look at one of my mates if full lycra and proclaiming
    I say your all prick and ribs aren’t you.🤣
    The pub then became known as the prick n ribs.

perchypanther
    Free Member

No gentleman would wear a top hat with lycra. Not even CFH.

You just know CFH has a lycra top hat, don’t you?

BillMC

Thread is useless without pics

I shall have to ask

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’d say proper cycling kit. good at wicking and close fitting so more efficient transfer of seeat from the body, it wil then evaporate

I suspected that would be the case and it’s what I’ve done during my post-surgery pootles, but thought it was worth confirming with others!

maccruiskeen

You just know CFH has a lycra top hat, don’t you?

Aero

slowoldman

By gentlemanly, did he mean rotund?

That’s how I read it.

sirromj

I’m not paying for kit that evaporates! Tops awff I say.

matt_outandabout

By gentlemanly, did he mean rotund?

Hung like a stallion.

neilthewheel

By gentlemanly, did he mean rotund

I lost a stone in weight on my broken-jaw diet. Look bloody amazing in Lycra.

CountZero

Thread is useless without pics.

What the well-dressed and discerning cyclist should be wearing this summer…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The Kiora comeback needs a better slogan. 😉

uwe-r
    Free Member

f

lunge

Proper cycling kit. Make sure the jersey has a full length zip for the maximum cooling effect.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘“Too gentlemanly for lycra”’ is closed to new replies.