Too fussy?

Home Forum Bike Forum Too fussy?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Too fussy?
  • rascal

Just taken delivery of a lovely new carbon bike.
    Taken 4 water bottle bolts out to put 2 cages on…2 have gone back in fine but one of the other 2 is really reluctant to go back in. Seems the thread is on t’piss – do I just screw it in regardless knowing it’s going to be knackered from here on in, or contact the well-known retailer and go through the hassle of sending it back to get a different bike?
    Seems a lot of faffing for a single thread (how often do you change a bottle cage anyway)…what would you do? I know it’s a very minor thing but it’s bugging me – I haven’t even ridden it yet! 😕

ricky1

Send it back before you ride it then decide to send it back

legend

If you can get to the tools, run a tap down them?

rascal

Not sure what you mean there Ricky 😯
    Legend, that’s an option but if said retailer pay for the carriage back I’ll send it back…cheers

ricky1

Well if you bought a brand new car and the door wouldn’t shut would you send it back or just live with it for the time being and then decide to send if back…….which would never happen?

Premier Icon krixmeister
    Subscriber

Take pics if you can, and start the warranty process, but then I’d try to run the cage bolt in and out a few times. Or better yet get your friendly local bike shop – who hopefully aren’t annoyed that they lost a frame sale – to tap it. Do those before going through the hassle of sending back. It may just be some epoxy or similar stuck in the threads.

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

http://www.threadtools.com/Files/Taps%20technical%20info.pdf
    Was the bolt tight to remove?
    Try another bolt.
    Maybe just need bolt thread cleaned up at the end with a wee file.
    Wouldn’t force it, rivnut could spin in frame which would not be good in carbon 😥

coatesy

Speak to the company you bought it from, and ask them what they want you to do with it before doing anything. They may suggest you get a tap run through it and forward the bill to them, or they may not want to risk anybody else touching it, in which case it’ll make it a bit awkward if somebody’s snagged a tap, and broken it off in the frame.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Yep call who you got it from and speak to them in person. Easiest way, just don’t get all STW angry at them 🙂

Premier Icon schmiken
    Subscriber

Rascal, I’ve got an M5 tap I could run down it, save you the hassle of sending it back!

rascal

Mike – thanks for the offer. Might take you up on that but going to call them and see what they say first.
    If it’s a ‘tap it and if it doesn’t work send it back’ attitude I’ll do that first. Cheers all.

rascal

Spoke to the retailer this morning.
    Suggested cleaning the thread with brake/clutch fluid.
    Reluctant to tap it. If that doesn’t work I send bike back FOC and get replacement.
    Would rather option A – I’ll see how it goes tonight.
    Thanks for the advice folks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Too fussy?’ is closed to new replies.