• This topic has 201 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by digga.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 202 total)
  • Tony Blair's Advice On How To Tackle Islamic State
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well said hora, that Ronald McDonald has a lot to answer for.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sending troops into Afghanistan helped to destroy Al-Q as a fighting force. ISIS needs to be defeated on the ground.

noteeth
    Free Member

Anybody who advocates boots on the ground is welcome to lead by example.

Starting with Tony.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ransos
    Free Member

IMO stating that we helped create this mess isn’t a reason we should stay out, we are one of only a handful of nations that have the ability and expertise to really make a difference.

Yes, we can make a difference, but experience tells us it won’t be a positive one.

konabunny
    Free Member

Us Westerners cant grasp that with our McDonalds corrupt democracies.

the Hora paradox: as a westerner, Hora can’t grasp what he grasps as an individual.

hora
    Free Member

If Assad is as evil as John Kerry used to say why hasn’t his own people overthrown him? Why haven’t all his army left or defected? Why was large Christian communities allowed to live and practice in Syria under his leadership? Western leaders will say hes probably oppressing but how? Still? In a civil war his ‘people’ are all united now aren’t they.

John Kerry started off ranting and raving about Assad. I remember watching the interviews and thinking whoa this guy is seriously short-sighted to hold such a position (but then- look at George Bush jnr..).

Fast forward and he realises the FSA has good elements but it also has a strong religious leaning, that then defects to ISIS. The atrocities committed by the opposition are covered up and barrel bombs dropped from helicopters are highlighted as ‘indiscriminate’.

When you fire even a machine gun- is that pin-point? A shell? A RPG? War is bloody murky stuff and not clean-cut black and white.

Ironically theres talk of getting into bed with Iran now. Another ‘bad’ place.

Lifer
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member

The region is plagued by successive waves of self-inflicted barbarism, because by-and-large the people and politics of the region is of a mindset similar to our un-enlightened European ancestors. Political, social and religious enlightenment in Europe was a long time coming. And it will be a long time coming to the Middle-East too.

I suppose you can argue that, if you ignore all external factors. Which are myriad.

binners

jambalaya – Member

Sending troops into Afghanistan helped to destroy Al-Q as a fighting force. ISIS needs to be defeated on the ground.

Seriously fella? Afghanistan has been the singular largest waste of time, resources, and more importantly; lives in history. It achieved absolutely **** all! Once we’re gone, it’ll immediately revert back to exactly the same medieval barbarism that was there before. We’ve achieved absolutely nothing!

Al Qaeda wasn’t remotely effected by western action. It self destructed! It was the usual ‘we’re more islamic than you’ factional nonsense. Which ultimately gave us ISIS. That went well then? Jihadist nutters are no repeaters of borders. They just move somewhere else. And in tandem with Afghanistan, we supplied the perfect place for them to move on to too. Genius! Yay for US foreign policy!!!

If Afghanistan and Iraq have sent a clear message to the west it isn’t the one you’re espousing. Its that we should stay the **** out of other peoples civil wars, our involvement in the whole region has been an unmitigated disaster from start to finish, and we should let them get on with it, as if we get involved now, it’ll only make things infinitely worse!

We should basically work on the principle that whatever Tony Blair said should be immediately discounted as patent nonsense, and we should do the exact opposite!

digga
    Free Member

We did create a lot of the mess in the Middle East. We were party to the deals that saw all those nice, neat, straight international boundary lines. IIRC, it was Churchill himself who advocated gassing the Kurds, long before Saddam. So we certainly have some responsibility for the mess out there.

However, going into any negotiation, let alone a war, without a clear objective, is very misguided and more often than not, extremely dangerous.

What is the outcome we desire? And who do we feel is our enemy? Where does the line between “devout Islamic” and “anti-Western democracy and freedom”? These questions are at the heart of the conflict and we cannot hope to do anything other than get stuck in a repeat-Gulf-War loop unless we define the problems and tackle them effectively.

wrecker
    Free Member

If Assad is as evil as John Kerry used to say why hasn’t his own people overthrown him?

Erm…..you are aware of how all this started, aren’t you?

If Afghanistan and Iraq have sent a clear message to the west it isn’t the one you’re espousing. Its that we should stay the **** out of other peoples civil wars

They weren’t having civil wars! Afg was effectively a huge training camp for AQ. Although it’s fair to say that the Talib weren’t the most liberal govt, they weren’t at war.
    Iraqs’ card had been marked a long time ago, all Bush needed was an excuse, hence the WMD malarkey (RIP Dr Kelley). Iraq was oil based and afg was a direct response to 9/11 so that the mericans could be seen to be doing something. They couldn’t find much else to do as they were utterly clueless as to who/how/why.
    I see that IS got a good tickling with the loud stick last night.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Are you saying this to create debate ?
    If so good on you I look forward to reading what follows, if however you genuinely believe this and feel that the British government ought to commit troops and therefore British soldiers lives then I ask you one simple question.

Do you Mr Jambalaya feel that you are prepared to go and fight and would you commit your sons to go and fight ?

Personally I would not, I would not volunteer and I would resist conscription. Neither would I volunteer my son, because of this I do not feel it is appropriate or fair to say that we should commit our troops.

I do not know what the solutions are !
    To be truthful I do not really care in as much as whatever we do will be immensely costly and the knock on effect to the country will only contribute to a further decline in what the government ought to be providing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@binners, yes indeed I was serious. Iraq I think was a mistake and a terrible waste of lives. Afghanistan was reasonably effective, Al-Q was defeated both on the ground and organizationally and by cutting its funding off.

@cheeky, I said ISIS needs to be defeated on the ground but not by who. I think a special forces lead operation would be very effective and we all know the SAS and the US special forces are already there on the ground calling in the air strikes. As for the “would I go”, its a bit academic as clearly I am not I would go in order to defeat ISIS (and as above Afghan yes, Iraq no) but soldiers don’t get to choose. That’s why the politicians must think very carefully about what we ask our troops to do.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

@Jambalaya, as you said at the end it’s the politicians who make the decision as to where the troops are sent, this is the bit that grips my shit, there are no longer many politicians with any real military experience, military advice to politicians is given by people who are essentially looking towards where they themselves will end up as a consequence, there is very little regard as to the consequences of those doing the actual fighting, if ISIS are as bad as they are portrayed then woe betide any western soldiers captured by them !
    Secondly why should we here on an Island off the NW coast of mainland Europe worry about a force with neither a Navy nor an Air force?
    What threat do they pose to our Country; if the threat is that bad then surely we guard our borders!
    If the response to ISIS is on humanitarian grounds then there are only two options
    Total annihilation with a long standing commitment to western control off the region for a very long time, costing billions and ultimately ensuring the NHS and UK public services are decimated
    Or
    Jaw Jaw with the Bad Guys involving some serious concessions and ultimately the legitimatization of an (other) Islamic State in the region.
    With regard to the Soldiers, there is a common belief by many people that soldiers, Sailors and Airmen are there out of some bizarre overriding patriotic duty to boldly go where they are told regardless of the consequences, the lie spread by politicians when they say that soldiers in Afghanistan have died fighting for their country has got to be the all-time biggest whopper of the century, they died fighting for the interests of the few!
    Ps don’t believe all the Andy McNab shite, wars cannot be won by the SAS and pilots alone, if we were that good we would have nipped ISIS in the bud !

hora
    Free Member

Why is it that when a ‘Dictator is overthrown the net result is almost always a Islamic leaning/state/party?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cheeky, I am not sure I agree that too many politicians make military decisions based upon their “promotion” prospects although the war in the South Atlantic certainly didn’t do Mrs Thatcher any harm. I think we agree that the politicians should think very very carefully before sending troops into such situations.

I think we agree the SAS cannot defeat ISIS on their own, I don’t think the Kurds can do it on their own and neither can the Iraqis as has been proven. Hence I agree with Blair, we should not rule out sending ground forces.

I also agree ISIS should have been nipped in the bud, I have read estimates of 500 UK citizens, 500 French and 700 Germans (most likely of Turkish descent) are fighting with ISIS. We have already had one French ex-ISIS fighter come back to Europe and kill 4 people (happened to be those visiting a Jewish museum in Belgium). ISIS is a problem for Europe, the latest video messages where trying to encourage attacks particularly in France. I think a reluctance to get involved post-Iraq has been seized upon by ISIS and it has allowed them to expand dramatically.

binners

I think the fundamental problem is that we look at ‘the region’ in the arrogant terms of the borders that we arbitrarily drew when we carved it up. As ISIS are showing, they don’t recognise these borders. And why should they? The whole region is divided along religious and tribal lines. Hence them having little time for our neat and tidy concept of democracy. If we can’t even get our heads around that, then why are we trying to control the region? We’re on a hiding to nothing right from the off!

So just let them get on with it. Its nothing to do with us! Lets be honest, look at Syria. All the possible outcomes are dire! So what the hell are we hoping to achieve? Erm…. we don’t really know. Always an absolutely great premise for getting involved in a conflict!

And for those advocating military solutions – the likes if ISIS are so bold in their actions because the Wests apparent show of military might – shock and awe – has been exposed as anything but. Its just demonstrated in Iraq its limitations and weaknesses

wrecker
    Free Member

Secondly why should we here on an Island off the NW coast of mainland Europe worry about a force with neither a Navy nor an Air force?

It doesn’t work like that any more.

With regard to the Soldiers, there is a common belief by many people that soldiers, Sailors and Airmen are there out of some bizarre overriding patriotic duty to boldly go where they are told regardless of the consequences, the lie spread by politicians when they say that soldiers in Afghanistan have died fighting for their country has got to be the all-time biggest whopper of the century, they died fighting for the interests of the few!

That’s the politicians fault, not the military peeps. Who gives the politicians the power to make these decisions?

Ps don’t believe all the Andy McNab shite, wars cannot be won by the SAS and pilots alone, if we were that good we would have nipped ISIS in the bud !

They didn’t do too badly in GW2! You are correct regarding a guerrilla enemy though, but the same can be said for conventional ground forces.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I am not sure I agree that too many politicians make military decisions based upon their “promotion” prospects, although the war in the South Atlantic certainly didn’t do Mrs Thatcher any harm. I think we agree that the politicians should think very very carefully before sending troops into such situations.

Where I said military advice to politicians I was referring to the desk driving Generals/Admirals looking towards their retirement, book deals, seat in the lords prospects rather than politicians.
    With regard to the Falklands conflict it was Admiral Henry Leach who had Maggies ear and convinced her that they could retake the islands, the effect of this did boost Thatcher, it also saved our Armed Forces at the time as they were about to be decimated by a Tory Government, something the Cameron regime is keen to re-enact I may add.
    Camerons desire to involve UK forces in these situations whilst still looking to slash defence spending shows his absolute unsuitability to lead anything other than a posh boys boozing club.

konabunny
    Free Member

In a civil war his ‘people’ are all united now aren’t they.

I’m not entirely sure you’ve grasped the concept of a civil war.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Jam your views on conflicts, outcomes and the legitimacy of them is out of line with reality and morality.

You make Tony blairs views look grounded and realistic

binners

The news has just said that parliament is likely to be recalled to discuss military involvement in Iraq.

Here we go again!

ransos
    Free Member

They didn’t do too badly in GW2!

Yebbut that’s just the same as winning at half-time. It counts for nothing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

JY funny how I seem to agree with politicians of all sides, the French (clearly left leaning) have initiated strikes before we have and the majority of military advisers and geopolitical commentators.

I think it’s morally essential to defeat ISIS.

ransos
    Free Member

You can’t defeat an ideology through military means. They will simply re-emerge in a slightly different form somewhere else in a few years time.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ransos, plenty of examples of how you can defeat ideologies with respect to whether they pose a threat to you now or in the future.

digga
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    You can’t defeat an ideology through military means. They will simply re-emerge in a slightly different form somewhere else in a few years time.

As I’ve said above, we really need to define who or what we are attempting to engage? What is it that we actually disagree with?

It would seem to me that, on a long enough time line, the answer is likely to be anything or anyone that is staunchly and uncompromisingly Islamist, intolerant and extreme. And that, is a lot of people and places.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@digga – we disagree with them slaughtering people be they Muslims, Christians or Yazidi’s. ISIS primary objective is currently to free Muslims from the tyranny of democracy, they have already embarked on the next phase which is to ensure their form of Islam is the only religion acceptable within the areas they control.

JY IMO it would be immoral to stand by and “let ISIS get on with it”

Lifer
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    plenty of examples

Go on then.

ransos
    Free Member

@ransos, plenty of examples of how you can defeat ideologies with respect to whether they pose a threat to you now or in the future.

That’s not defeating an ideology, and that is why attempts at neutralising threats through military means result in a never-ending game of whack-a-mole.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We can start with the Nazis @lifer, in fact most facist regimes.

@ransos, someone can sit and espouse (I won’t say preach as that’s too specific) and ideolgy and claim they have not been defeated but if they can no longer threaten you IMO they have been defeated.

digga
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

@digga
    – we disagree with them slaughtering people be they Muslims, Christians or Yazidi’s. ISIS primary objective is currently to free Muslims from the tyranny of democracy, they have already embarked on the next phase which is to ensure their form of Islam is the only religion acceptable within the areas they control.

JY IMO it would be immoral to stand by and “let ISIS get on with it”But don’t we also disagree with treating women like second class citizens -punishning rape victims, female genital mutliation, unequal education rights – and backward opinions on homosexuality?

In which case, what ‘we’, the West are ‘against’ is far broader.

Lifer
    Free Member

Yep definitely no people around now espousing Nazi or Facist theology, especially in Europe…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Yep definitely no people around now espousing Nazi or Facist theology, especially in Europe

The nazis are incomparable with religious extremists IMHO. The nazis relied on a few staunch nutters and then severe oppression of the state. The Argentine Junta and many others were the same. The religious extremists prey on the beliefs of the people and so, as such are a more formidable adversary. I can see no end for this and it scares me for the future for my kids.

Lifer
    Free Member

RaveyDavey – Member
    The religious extremists prey on the beliefs of the people and so, as such are a more formidable adversary. I can see no end for this and it scares me for the future for my kids.

Yet another reason why military action will not defeat this ideology. It will only entrench it.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

That’s the politicians fault, not the military peeps. Who gives the politicians the power to make these decisions?

I never said it was the fault of the military peeps, the main comment from me was the propaganda regarding the pseudo patriotic drivel spoken by politicians when the inevitable casualties are announced. A vote does not give the Politicians a licence to do as they please.

I cynically referred to the Isis Navy and Air Force to expose the myth that we as a country are actually under threat.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

But don’t we also disagree with treating women like second class citizens -punishning rape victims, female genital mutliation, unequal education rights – and backward opinions on homosexuality?

Are you saying these are legitimate reasons for us to go to war ?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

th smiles in suits from across the Atlantic made sure that a place where classical concerts was played, all sects lived together became a vast pit of death. Arab countries needstrongmen. Some are nasty murderers like Saddam. Others rule at the head of a committee. Peace is kept by ‘dont mess and your day to day will be smooth/good. Us Westerners cant grasp that with our McDonalds corrupt democracies.

Seriously Hora, he wasn’t just a nasty man who killed a few people. He presided over a wars that closely resembled the ferocity of World War 1, on top of that he carried out a campaign of genocide against the kurds and the targeted killing and torture of political opponents.

Yes you’re right, as a westerner you can’t grasp the fact that most Iraqi’s hated the guy, you’re coming up with a typically racist bien pensant western argument against the war, one that basically assumes Iraqi’s are savages that can’t handle democracy. Every Iraqi I know was happy that they had a chance of forming a democracy.

binners

Whenever Hardline Islamic regimes have been established in the past, they’ve petty rapidly dissolved into a bloody, factional ‘I’m more Islamic than you’ competition, in a far-from-funny Judean Peoples Front/Peoples front of Judea parody. I doubt that this one will be any different. From the report in the Times the other week, after interviews with the British Jihadi’s out there, it already is. So let them get on with it.

What politicians need to answer is

a) why do they pose a threat to us? (they don’t!)
    b) what do we hope to achieve by our involvement? (erm…..?)
    c) how will our involvement bring these clearly stated aims about? (errrrrrrm…..?)

I doubt they can supply any satisfactory answers to any of these questions. But the Americans have clicked their fingers, so in we go. Again.

I think any British politician with any balls (can’t think of any) or some intelligence (again… I’m struggling) would see that with the general cynicism and war-wearyness of the population after Blairs crusades, there are votes to be had in telling the Americans they’re on their own this time

Fat chance!

ransos
    Free Member

We can start with the Nazis @lifer, in fact most facist regimes.

@ransos, someone can sit and espouse (I won’t say preach as that’s too specific) and ideolgy and claim they have not been defeated but if they can no longer threaten you IMO they have been defeated.

Except it doesn’t work. US attempts to fight communism in SE Asia and China resulted in most of the region becoming communist. Fighting Islamic extremism in the middle east is resulting in more Islamic extremism. As I said, it’s whack-a-mole.

Your nazi analogy is a poor one for a few reasons. First (as has been said) it relied on heavy oppression of the state by a limited number of individuals. Second, the Allies put as much effort into winning the peace as they did into winning the war. Compare and contrast with WW1 – which in time will surely be linked with WW2 as a single conflict. Third, they posed an imminent threat to us and our allies.

As binners notes, it’s unclear what threat ISIS poses to us, it’s unclear what we’re hoping to achieve, and it’s unclear that any actions we take will be effective.

digga
    Free Member

cheekyboy – Member
    But don’t we also disagree with treating women like second class citizens -punishning rape victims, female genital mutliation, unequal education rights – and backward opinions on homosexuality?

Are you saying these are legitimate reasons for us to go to war ?I’m not saying they are or are not.

However, as others here point out, left to their own devices, hard-line Islamic nations have a tendency toward the same extremes. If we really object to any of this, we need to think about what, exactly, it is we object to, or otherwise stay the hell out.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘Tony Blair's Advice On How To Tackle Islamic State’ is closed to new replies.