Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tomas Slavik: 2021 4X World Champion
  • identitizombie

The 4X World Championships went down in Val di Sole, Italy at the end of August. Racing for Ghost Bikes since 2012, Tomas Slavik is one of the best 4X …

By identitizombie

Get the full story on our front page at:

Tomas Slavik: 2021 4X World Champion

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

kayak23

Shame that 4x isn’t so prominent these days. I have to say I seem to forget it exists out there still.

Slavik came to my local once in Leamington Spa. Just a completely different level. Amazing rider.

desperatebicycle

Yeah, its strange that probably the most spectator friendly MTB event doesn’t get the coverage it deserves. I watched the World Champs on RedBull TV, even some of the XC, but didn’t see any links to 4X coverage. Weird!

ayjaydoubleyou

Its a shame, I think it needs to separate itself from the UCI/redbull circuit as they dont seem to care for it.
    It seems to be the easiest of MTB events to televise – most tracks could probably be done with one camera.

Perhaps Crankworx could take it on – they manage to give good coverage to speed&style which is the same sort of track.

desperatebicycle

Oh, maybe the bike industry keeps it hidden cos they still use… 26″ wheels! 😆

jimthesaint

There could be a fair bit of truth to that. Even at the world class level there are 4X riders using old stock frames and products as 26″ is still the wheel size of choice.
    Why would bike companies promote bikes they either can’t or don’t want to sell?

On a different but related theme there has always been talk, especially so in the last 18 months, of trying to increase the racial and ethnic diversity in cycling. For me 4X and CX are the ways to do it. Most major cities have got parks that could host 4X and CX races. In any country it’s always the large cities which are the most cosmopolitan. Put on exciting 4X and CX bike races in easy to spectate, closed off areas in large cities complete with a trials and vert ramp comp. Invite the local schools to attend, spectate, have a go at racing, etc.
    Immediately follow that up in the area by introducing inter-school 4X, BMX, CX racing with standardised bikes supplied to kids/schools at heavily subsidised prices. Hey presto you have got the kids from a countries most ethnically diverse areas into cycling.

jimthesaint

There could be a fair bit of truth to that. Even at the world class level there are 4X riders using old stock frames and products as 26″ is still the wheel size of choice.
    Why would bike companies promote bikes they either can’t or don’t want to sell?

On a different but related theme there has always been talk, especially so in the last 18 months, of trying to increase the racial and ethnic diversity in cycling. For me 4X and CX are the ways to do it. Most major cities have got parks that could host 4X and CX races. In any country it’s always the large cities which are the most cosmopolitan. Put on exciting 4X and CX bike races in easy to spectate, closed off areas in large cities complete with a trials and vert ramp comp. Invite the local schools to attend, spectate, have a go at racing, etc.
    Immediately follow that up in the area by introducing inter-school 4X, BMX, CX racing with standardised bikes supplied to kids/schools at heavily subsidised prices. Hey presto you have got the kids from a countries most ethnically diverse areas into cycling.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tomas Slavik: 2021 4X World Champion’ is closed to new replies.