Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Toilet roll etiquette?
  • PikeBN14
    Free Member

Did I miss something when I was growing up, did my parents neglect to tell me the proper toilet roll etiquette?

Is there a right way round and a wrong way round to have your toilet roll hanging?

I prefer mine to have the end hanging away from the wall, not close up against it as it’s easier to grab without stubbing my fingers on the wall when half asleep or a bit tipsy, but from observation and my girlfriends instance on turning them round the other way, maybe this is poor toilet roll etiquette?

bruneep

you are correct

trailmonkey

Whichever way you do it, SWMBO will insist that it is wrong.
    Bathroom fascism is a discipine that all women excel in.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You’re right. She’s wrong.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the woman is always correct on trivial issues
    Pick your arguments well and you may actually win some of them

miketually
    Free Member

You’re doing it right. The others are deviants.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m happy to hang either way, however when my mum visits us she always tells us the toilet roll is on ‘the wrong way’. I ignore her.

I think its common to assume that ‘open edge out from the wall’ is ‘correct’.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

What about Izal then – should the sheets hang down or point up?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Proper staff will always get it the right way round, but as you can imagine, it’s so hard to get the staff these days.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Proper staff would also fold the open edges to form a point.

ourmaninthenorth

Proper staff would also fold the open edges to form a point.

Is that to help the inbred upper classes work out which way to pull?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mine stand upright on the floor as the toilet roll holder became victim to a drunken lurch

Poindexter
    Free Member

I insist that my cleaner folds an arrowhead in all my loos.
    And any spare rolls have the loose end unpicked (Christ I hate that job) and folded into a neat little 45° ‘tuck’ for expedience.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is that to help the inbred upper classes work out which way to pull? No, I think it’s just because it looks quite neat.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Poindexter why don’t you just get her to wipe your arse for you?

higgo
    Free Member

Proper staff would be waiting discretely with some swan feathers sprayed with cologne.

Olly
    Free Member

GAHHHH TOILET ROLLS!!

my old housemates couldnt seem to be bothered to slip it onto the holder, instead sitting it ontop, so when you pulled it it came off.

we now dont have a holder, my current housemates always put the roll on the cistern, behind “one”, but this strikes me as a sh!t idea (pun intended) when there is a windowsill at bog roll level directly infront of you.

surely?

bogroll, the great divider

jimmy

Get a Park Tool roll holder and you can have it which ever way suits with a quick flick of the non-existent handlebars. If ever you needed an argument for getting one…

Poindexter
    Free Member

Poindexter why don’t you just get her to wipe your arse for you?

Even I have a ‘comfort threshold’ when it comes to making demands of minimum wage staff.

Plus, my current housekeeper sports so much of Elizabeth Duke’s finest wares on her fingers that she ain’t going anywhere near my balloon knot.

Harry_the_Spider

…and now the science.

It is all to do with how you orientate the paper between tearing it off and applying it to your ass… it has a nap you see, like the baize a snooker table.
    So if you have the loo roll “tail to the wall” and invert the sheet during transit the nap is facing the wrong way and it smears rather than removes. In this case you need the roll “tail to the room”.
    I personally am not an “inverter”, so for me the optimum hanging position for economical cleaning is “wall side”.

Olly
    Free Member

it has a what?
    a nap?
    its bog roll, not a fleece

trailmonkey

Anyhow, what about that shiny council stuff ? No nap on that.

Harry_the_Spider

Fibre allignment. The shiny stuff suffers from what paper makers call “two sidedness”, one side has a higher gloss/smoothness value than the other.

Bunnyhop

We’ve got one of those trendy standing up loo roll holders. Problem solved.

When I were a lass, newspaper was strung up with a piece of string, in the outside lavvy.

Harry_the_Spider

Even in posh south manchester?

Gary_M
    Free Member

We’ve got one of those trendy standing up loo roll holders Does it have an integrated ash tray?

Bunnyhop

Harry – Yes
    Gary – No.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Heather Bash – Member
    What about Izal then – should the sheets hang down or point up?

Ha ha, Izal, saw some of that in a little tea rooms in the Peak District at the weekend, they had a sort of mueseum shelf in there with loads of old tobaco stuff and curiously some bog roll too!!

whytetrash

Actually it varies how tight you are! Here’s the reason if it hangs against the wall you find the roll lasts significantly longer than if it hangs out…try it especially if you have kids!

Can’t remember where I read this…though some obscure ceramics trade mag in uni I think!(studied ceramic science and engineering)

avdave2

I’m sure if you trace your girlfriends ancestry you’re going to find some trailer trash not too far back. If she carries it on then it’s time to leave. If you let it carry on then it’s only a matter of time before a knitted doll appears on the spare roll and a specially shaped rug goes around the toilet. You have been warned.

Bunnyhop

avdave2, you’ve missed out the woolly loo seat cover.

mudshark
    Free Member

Bidet.

MrNutt
    Free Member

you bunch of freaks! we have a hole in the wall next to the toilet with a small bell over it, when one has finish their business you simply have to ring the bell and present your posterior to the cavity where Edwin Collins our pet fecal fed giraffe ecologically removes any overshot in a 100% biodegradable manner. 100% natural.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I use my wife’s dressing gown.

😉

avdave2

sorry bunnyhop your right and all of course in pink.

theotherjonv

embarrasingly I was in a rush to fit our holder, didn’t read the instructions (like – why would you!) and fitted it to the wall in a vertical orientation! So for us it’s whether you prefer a clockise or anticlockwise spiral unravel.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Away from the wall, of course!

myheadsashed

Mr Nutt has a glory hole

Away from the wall is correct, otherwise in a steamy tiled bathroom the tissue will stick to the walls when covered in condesation.

midlifecrashes

I solved this problem at midlife towers by the simple expedient of always buying Andrex “Puppies on a Roll” paper. When hanging the correct way, away from the wall, the cute little puppies are revealed. The puppies are only printed on one side so a mistake becomes obvious.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Toilet roll etiquette?’ is closed to new replies.