Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Toe curling enduro marketing guff.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK, so it’s from the copy over on PB, but it rather sums up the problem….

A tire intended for enduro racing should allow a rider to push their limits on virtually any type of trail, but at the same time not feel like a tractor tire on the way back up.

So, you mean like a, erm, hold on, tip of my tongue, like a mountain bike tyre! The sort of thing that many of us have been using for years for all round trail riding?

With a solid four years of development,

So, was under development before the enduro concept had really taken off? A cynic might say they had rebranded an “all mountain” or (Insert marketing guff term here) tyre.

Michelin’s goal was to balance a burly, versatile tread pattern with a compound and casing that would roll well, all while still offering top notch traction and durability in a variety of situations.

Again, you mean like a mountain bike tyre.

This isn’t so much a dig at the folks at PB, who after all are just getting suckered in to it all, but more to point out the silliness of the enduro fad, as after all, it’s just rebranding what so many of us have ridden for years as trail centre skill compensators, gnarpoons, all mountain rigs or overmountain sleds, braw.

Niche out!

Sauce

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

I for one, welcome our new enduro overlords.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I miss ‘over mountain’ tbh.

matt_outandabout

A kilo each? 😕

svalgis
    Free Member

You really can’t see the benefit of categorizing a tyre as “enduro” as opposed to “mountain bike” (whether you like the actual term or the fact that it does get thrown around a lot these days)?

Fair enough. I personally like being able to purchase stuff made for XC racing, DH bombing or something inbetween and I honestly can’t think of a single way that it’s hurting me personally – I can still just disregard anything I don’t want to buy just fine. Pretty neat huh?

compositepro
    Free Member

OK, so it’s from the copy over on PB, but it rather sums up the problem….

A tire intended for enduro racing should allow a rider to push their limits on virtually any type of trail, but at the same time not feel like a tractor tire on the way back up.
    So, you mean like a, erm, hold on, tip of my tongue, like a mountain bike tyre! The sort of thing that many of us have been using for years for all round trail riding?

With a solid four years of development,
    So, was under development before the enduro concept had really taken off? A cynic might say they had rebranded an “all mountain” or (Insert marketing guff term here) tyre.

Michelin’s goal was to balance a burly, versatile tread pattern with a compound and casing that would roll well, all while still offering top notch traction and durability in a variety of situations.
    Again, you mean like a mountain bike tyre.

This isn’t so much a dig at the folks at PB, who after all are just getting suckered in to it all, but more to point out the silliness of the enduro fad, as after all, it’s just rebranding what so many of us have ridden for years as trail centre skill compensators, gnarpoons, all mountain rigs or overmountain sleds, braw.

Niche out!

Sauce

And hence the reason CFH will never write for a mountain bike magazine ….you cut through the shit

Rorschach
    Free Member

And ‘All mountain’.

chiefgrooveguru

Now that (gravity) enduro has become a fairly clear race format, does it not make for a much more useful pigeonhole than ‘all-mountain’ or ‘trail’, which to be frank never meant anything useful?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I was always fond of ‘xxc’.

kimbers

Meh marketing blurb in it

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I have an over mountain bike, it’s pretty great to be honest, better than the all mountain bike I had before that.

singlespeedstu

Whatever happened to mincecore medium?

ahwiles
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

A kilo each?

it’s half-ish way between a Dh tyre, and a ‘normal’ tyre.

sounds like a valid option..?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Hope they do them in 650b sizes innit

ninfan
    Free Member

This is fantastic news

For the past twenty odd years I’ve wasted so much time changing between my uphill and downhill tyres after each significant change in gradient!

Rorschach
    Free Member

vorlich
    Free Member

People actually buy Michelin bike tyres?

fasthaggis

I am buying an ATB next year,that’s All Terrain kids 😉

unknown
    Free Member

It’s getting so I don’t recognise my sport/hobby any more. I just long for the days when we all rode bikes… most of us had one bike… it was variously great, OK or a bit shit because it got used for everything. Sure bikes are way better now, and we’re probably all going faster, but are we having any more fun?

chiefgrooveguru

Sure bikes are way better now, and we’re probably all going faster, but are we having any more fun?

Those of us who aren’t looking back at the old days with rose-tinted glasses are! 😛

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I’m looking for some aspirational ‘Gnar-core’… tyres, or was that music?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1

The tyre sounds exactly what every what tyre thread on here asks for fast rolling and mega grippy.

A few years ago I went back and rode some of the mega exciting stuff I started riding on when train centres were Coed-y-Brennin and the Marin (sorry I have not been riding long enough to go back further which must mean I have not earned enough riding points)
    You know, I much prefer stuff now, I think back to when I thought panaracer fire xc pro’s were decent and you could set up some XT V Brakes to be the best thing going and 100mm bombers that flexed all over the place were serious longish travel forks. Trail evolution with bike evolution has really changed mountain biking for the better. There is more choice more trails and better bikes and more events that cater for the type of riding heaps of people do.

tang
    Free Member

My mate raced as a privateer this year on the enduro world circuit. Turned up camped out, one Santa Cruz 26 er and spanked loads of the pros. 6th at mega 1st at the mountain of hell 3rd at whistler. Came in 10th overall. He said it’s just riding hard like we all do on a good day out in the big hills. Just a bit quicker than most of us….

chiefgrooveguru

My mate raced as a privateer this year on the enduro world circuit. Turned up camped out, one Santa Cruz 26 er and spanked loads of the pros. 6th at mega 1st at the mountain of hell 3rd at whistler. Came in 10th overall. He said it’s just riding hard like we all do on a good day out in the big hills. Just a bit quicker than most of us….

This is awesome! I’m guessing he’s the kind of mate that makes the rest of you feel slow once he’s at full speed…

colournoise

vorlich – Member
    People actually buy Michelin bike tyres

I have some on my second bike – Wild Grip’r on the front and Wild Race’r on the back. Not bad all-rounders but absolutely terrifying cornering on tarmac.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As @Rorsach pointed out, in fairness to PB it does say the following;
    Intended use: all-mountain/enduro
    i.e. basically all-mountain is enduro

As an aside Lionell the most excellent MCF guide in Morzine was using the term enduro to describe the rides he guided us on, normal rides with pedalling up to assist the lifts and then great descents. This was in 2008. The term enduro isn’t new.

remoterob
    Free Member

Ah, the old fast rolling yet grippy enigma.

Low friction yet excellent traction.

How does the tyre know when to be one or the other?

JCL
    Free Member

He had a great year for sure. He comes across as a really nice guy too. I told as many industry guys I know to get him signed up. Has he got a factory deal for next year?

vinnyeh

Isn’t the style of marketing indicative of the target audience’s susceptibilities?
    And don’t kid yourself, we do fall for it.

Though I’m more a sucker for anything that’s labelled ‘50% off’, irrespective of any previous selling prices.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Bring back the Onza Octopus, I say.

xiphon
    Free Member

You think the re-branding is aimed at current enthusiasts (people who’ve been riding for years) ? Bless

We know All-Mountain/Enduro is just recycled marketing rubbish (and most of us see through it).

ddmonkey

Marketing guff is one thing, but companies making stuff that is intended to be great for exactly the type of riding most people do is brilliant isn’t it? Eh?

I have a bike or two now that are so much more versatile and fun that than bikes I used to ride 10 years ago, makes my sport as good as it has ever been. Marketeers will always be there, but some of the product is really rather good these days.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ah, but the point missed out is all-Mountain uses 26″ wheels, Enduro uses 650b.

jamj1974

He had a great year for sure. He comes across as a really nice guy too. I told as many industry guys I know to get him signed up. Has he got a factory deal for next year?

I don’t know him but I already hate him! 😉

Seriously though, well done to him!

johnellison
    Free Member

gnarpoons

Actual LOL ! 😆

allmountainventure
    Free Member

So everthing should just be branded “Mountain bike” with no clue as to whether its for XC, AM/E, DH?

Interesting, I can see how that would work. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

John, sadly I cannot claim gnarpoon as my own, but I wish I could! IIRC, it was Northwind who first brought that superb niche to my attention!

Yes, it is indeed great that people are making stuff that does what we all want it to do. But, this is pretty much what I’m getting at here;

The tyre sounds exactly what every what tyre thread on here asks for fast rolling and mega grippy.

It’s just making stuff for all round riding, which is what most of us do anyway! OK, so XC, DH and Trials have their specific needs and markets, but almost all the new fangled “enduro specific” stuff is just “mountain bike” stuff. Last year’s all round trail helmet is now “enduro specific”. Hell, there was even someone touting enduro specific grips a while back (Ergon, IIRC. Started a thread about it a while ago).

3dvgirl
    Free Member

panaracer fire xc pro’s

are still good

Pook

Whatever happened to mincecore medium?

I’m still here, I’ve just been busy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3dvgirl – Member
    panaracer fire xc pro’s

are still good
    They were never good, I was just uneducated.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Toe curling enduro marketing guff.’ is closed to new replies.