• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Toddler escape artists
  • longmover
    Free Member

My 2 year old has developed the knack of getting his arms out of his car seat straps, we do the seat up as tight at as we can and the little terror still manages to get free. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you deal with it?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Karate chop and duct tape.

sandwicheater

Yep, ours was the same the little houdini.

Can’t remember if we through him out the car and wrote that one off . Hmmmm, come to think of it, maybe it was a firm ‘NO’, stop car, re-fasten and repeat. He soon stopped after a week.

longmover
    Free Member

I have been told by the master and commander that i am not allowed to employ martial arts or adhesives.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I have been told by the master and commander that i am not allowed to employ martial arts or adhesives.

Hmmm. That is unfortunate.

Chloroform and cable ties it shall be!

sandwicheater

Chloroform and cable ties it shall be!

Pffft, no need to mollycoddle them.

longmover
    Free Member

Cable ties may do the trick.

come to think of it, maybe it was a firm ‘NO’, stop car, re-fasten and repeat. He soon stopped after a week.

This is what we are doing at the moment, three times in 25 minutes this morning.

jam-bo

Every time they do it, stop the car, don’t go anywhere until they’ve put their arms back in. A 2yr old is smart enough to work it out pretty quick.

They’re just playing you.

gonzy
    Free Member

i remember seeing a strap once that fits across the chest between the 2 straps coming over the shoulders. it stops them from pulling the straps down and getting their arms out

similar to this…
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Pro-Safe-Buckle-Baby-Car-Safety-Seat-Strap-Child-Toddler-Chest-Harness-Clip-/311713890201

theres also this…
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belt-UPP-BU-2015-BeltUpp/dp/B00CXV8Q6O

johndoh
    Free Member

Every time they do it, stop the car, don’t go anywhere until they’ve put their arms back in.

Is what we did – the ‘trick’ didn’t last long.

sandwicheater

three times in 25 minutes this morning.

Laughs in your general direction knowing we’ve been through the same.

Remembers we’ve another one who’s not two yet and will likely do it all again, doh!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Make him walk.. He’ll soon stop it if he makes it back home.

convert

My sister (now holder of PHD in a super nerdy field and always outperformed her dimwitted brother at every stage) amazed my parents by escaping from her room as a 20month year old. We don’t know how she got out of her cot. When out she opened the lower drawers and piled up her clothes to stand on to access her upper draws to empty them too. She then piled the lot and anything else she could find into a ramp against her child gate across the doorway. Once there she threw down anything she could find to lessen her fall once she jumped off the ramp and over the other side.

She was and remains a scary force of nature.

cheers_drive

Our 15 month old managed to get the front door key out of the drawer and into the lock, luckily she hasn’t figured out how to turn it yet.

johndoh
    Free Member

When one of our daughters was about 15 months my wife saw her wandering along the landing and didn’t think anything of it initially. She then realised that she should have been in her cot and behind the baby gate that was on their bedroom door – she’d managed to work her way past two lines of defences 🙂

legend
    Free Member

cheers_drive – Member

Our 15 month old managed to get the front door key out of the drawer and into the lock, luckily she hasn’t figured out how to turn it yet.

New build regs mean the front door just has a knob to turn instead of using a key….. I’ve got no chance, gps tag ftw!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ours did that for a bit.

Stop Car, tell off, “don’t do it again all you’ll go BANG” (BANG being code in our house for any kind of accident, I don’t hit her). I didn’t find any magic cures, after a few weeks of that, and frankly her working out that getting your arms out didn’t mean freedom she gave up.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Toddler escape artists’ is closed to new replies.