• This topic has 76 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Kip.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Toddler cut head – hospital?
  • ourmaninthenorth

Night three for Toddler North in her new bed and she’ s fallen out and hit her head causing a small gash in the scalp. it’s about half a centimetre long.

Worth going to A&E for it to be stitched or is that too small a cut?

Pook

clean and dress, and keep an eye on it.

footflaps

Close it with a steri-strip?

Kip

NHS Direct – 0845 4647

They’ll be able to answer any queries professionally based on information you give them over the phone.

Drac

Minor Injuries Unit or Walk in Centre if you have one to checked for other symptoms and have it cleaned. It can scar easily when they’re young, be prepared to be asked a few probing questions though.

bokonon
    Free Member

NHS Direct tend to refer direct to A&E for all small people injuries.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TTFU.

😉

midlifecrashes

Sounds small, but I can’t see it. Have you tried thin bit of non-adherent dressing across but with tape pulling it closed a bit. Toddlers make you update your first aid kit fairly regularly.

TooTall
    Free Member

Ask someone responsible will you? Posting the question on here is not a good indicator.

Kip

Too Tall – Kind of the point I was trying to make as well 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member
    ourmaninthenorth

On the phone to a quack at NHS Direct right now.

Am off to check first aid kit. Either that or gaffer tape.

Kip

🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Chill out TooTall FFS. Child is perfectly happy, cut is small, medic advising.

TooTall
    Free Member

Kip – I’d think subtle would be lost on the OP given the question posted!

Stoner
    Free Member

superglue is your friend 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Unless it’s big enough for stitches, the hospital would only gaffer-tape it up anyway…

bigyinn
    Free Member

He’s trying to divert attention away from the baseball bat hidden in the shed after too many hours of sleep deprivation.
    Seriously though best get it checked.

TooTall
    Free Member

You posted a bone question about the wellbeing of an injured child on a mountain biking forum. I took the proverbial because it is a bit bone.

Chill out and concentrate on your bairn, not internet numpties poking fun at your bone post. On a cycling forum. About an injured child.

jon1973
    Free Member

superglue is your friend

Getting high won’t make the problem go away.

ourmaninthenorth

Off to a&e….

TooTall
    Free Member

YAYYYYY 😀

Kip

TT – go easy ‘ey. The OP is talking to a professional, as suggested, and he’s getting it sorted.

Sometimes we all forget about the most obvious and easiest answer especially if the child in question doesn’t seem phased. I guess he was just looking for a bit more advice to go on top of his gut feeling about the child he can see and he knows best.

Second opinions never hurt.

Hope Toddler North is Ok, and well done on the big bed. Still waiting for Small Kip’s first proper launch out of hers!

althepal

I remember my three year olds first night in his big boys bed- THUMP- I was up the stairs like a rat up a drainpipe.. Not that I was listening or anything..
    Anyways- superglue will prob be the answer at the hospital I’m guessing- depending on how deep it is!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

We used one of those ‘fence’ devices that slides under the mattress and sticks up to stop ’em falling out while they get used to a proper bed. Worked a treat.

tazzymtb

superglue will prob be the answer

ok smartarse, you’ve glued her to the bed so she can’t fall out, how are you going to get her up in the morning? hmmmm? didn’t think about that one did we!

TiRed

Blue superglue. Son1 did this after cutting his head on a plant pot falling off his first wooden bike. 1cm gash that wouldn’t close. Bled like a stuck pig. Lie on front. Prevent thrashing (a lot of thrashing!). Nurse closes wound with superglue. Preferable to stitches (where no anesthetic is used).

beefheart
    Free Member

Don’t F about on STW, get on NHS Direct!

v8ninety

NHS redirect… Pfft.

In my experience, usually get more sense (and sense of humour) from NHSTW. Bleeding pointless entity. (IMHO, of course)

Northwind

NHS Direct were always likely to say hospital. But half a cm? That is seriously tiny.

poly
    Free Member

I once watched a doctor tie hair together across a much larger scalp wound than that. (We were about 3 hours from nearest A&E). Seemed to do a very effective job. By the time we got to civilisation the decision was not to even bother disturbing it to stitch it. Of course improvised repairs may be less appropriate on children, or where help is closer to hand.

Stoner
    Free Member

since we’re talking glue, and Drac and possibly other people who wear white coats are in….

Why isnt the home application of superglue encouraged? I dont think it’s in first aid courses? Its hardly any more complicated than applying steris. I self administer for cuts and eczema, but havent yet needed to glue Stoner Jr to the floor together yet, but I wouldnt baulk at it if the opportunity came up.

Stoner
    Free Member

I once watched a doctor tie hair together across a much larger scalp wound than that.

Top Macgyvering! Im remembering that one!

sharkbait
    Free Member

One of my girls did the same but head butted the top of a radiator. Quite a lot of blood and an open wound about 1cm long.
    Quick trip to a&e (bit too quick as it cost me points for popping through a light just turning red) some superglue and back home.
    Small scar there still 4 years on.

Drac

The hair technique is actual procedure that’s a very effective.

Stoner it not the same kind of glue for start and there’s a bit more to it then sticky a wound closed, which is why first aiders aren’t taught it.

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner it not the same kind of glue

Cyanoacrylate + Aquamarine Blue? 😉

Go on then, show us yer skillz, what makes it more complicated than sticking it together?

scaredypants

I think the general aproach with scalp wounds on kids is “if you can see any clean head at all under the gushing blood, it’s a minor injury and safe to leave alone”

I have no real idea what a stuck pig bleeds like, but it can’t be nearly as heavily as a toddler with a grazed scalp

Note to TT – 😉

Drac

Go on then, show us yer skillz, what makes it more complicated than sticking it together?

Cause, length, depth, width, still bleeding, location, age of patient, previous medical history will that do for now?

scaredypants

Medical superglue is a slightly different compound, upposedly less irritant I think. No idea whether this can be supported with evidence

Drac

Scaredy you’re right it’s a different formula but don’t worry it would seem others not trained in it no better than those who are.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Toddler cut head – hospital?’ is closed to new replies.