Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Today's T5 question: parking sensors
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Looking at getting a tow bar fitted to my T5 camper. Going for a Westfalia detachable. On the electrics the OEM option is an additional £150 due to additional cost of the wiring kit and the re-programming, which basically just disables the reverse parking sensors when in use. I never bothered with the OEM option on my SMax as I had a button on the dash to disable the parking sensors, but my T5 doesn’t seem to have one. It is a Highline spec so parking sensors are OEM fitment. Is there a way to manually disable when using the tow bar them or do I just have to put up with the beep from the sensors?

allfankledup

I use the tow bar as the parking sensor…

bodgy
    Free Member

All my sensors are faulty; I just reverse analogue.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No issues reversing analogue, and of course I will be when the tow bar is fitted, just with an annoying beep in my ear. It’s not worth the £150 for the OEM loom and not looking hopeful for a hidden button, so i’ll have to lump it!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mine are the original VW I believe, and I have a fixed towbar, must be set to bleep at the towbar distance as it’s pretty bang on.

With a LWB and no rear window like my van, they are excellent btw.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Interesting no beer. I fitted a VW tailgate rack last weekend and fogot about it the other day when reversing upto a wall relying on the parking sensors, then had a mild panic about hitting the wall with the rack (folded) before the beeps when to a solid tone, but it seems the distance the do that is greater than the distance the rack sticks out.

But my concern is not when the towbar is fitted – as it’s is detachable so it will only be fitted when I need it, it is when I’ve got something connected to the tow bar.

No great shakes really, i’ll just put up with the beep for the short time i’ll be reversing.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

My sensors work fine with towbar fitted or without(removable) no special looms fitted but mine is a 2007 so no vagcom. Obviously when the bikes are on towbar it beeps constantly in reverse which is good to remind me! Save yourself £150 I recon

nickdavies
    Free Member

Which stereo? You can cancel them when you put it into reverse on the screen, you can’t fully disable it though.

Unless you pull the fuse – that would do it as it’s dedicated but a bit of a faff.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks Nick – i’ll look check that out. Not sure which head unit it is, it’s the standard Highline spec one as far as i’m aware. I do get a little graphic of the van and approaching wall/obstacle as you reverse, but never taken any more notice over what else there is displayed.

Not bothered about disabling, just turning off the beeps when I have something attached.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Today's T5 question: parking sensors’ is closed to new replies.