Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Today’s most boring post – recommend me some home insurance
  • gribble
    Free Member

Our renewal quote came through and it is £220 more than last year (this is for contents and building insurance). I spoke to the broker and they can provide no good reason for the increase – they just want to talk through the policy over the phone (I suspect to get me to reduce specific items on the policy, to allow the premium to reduce).

Can anyone recommend a good provider? If possible, I want to get the bikes named on the policy for obvious reasons. Someone local to here has just got a fair replacement on the Orange 5 he had stolen – new for old, with NFU Mutual.

Any experiences/guidance appreciated.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I used the meerkats and ended up with Lloyds. One year big discount as a new customer, three named bikes in and away from the home if locked to a fixed object or stored in my van. Various items of named jewellery and then the usual stuff, including 500 quid cash etc.
    Also had the buildings with them. Bout 300 quid all in.
    Just checked, 264 for the year, much cheapness.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

LV, they’re great if you actually need to use them.

NZCol

I went through Pedalcover and renewed with them last year. It’s underwritten by Allianz I think but service generally good. I had a few problems on renewal but got them sorted out with a couple of phone calls.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Hiscox

UncleFred
    Free Member

+1 for Pedal Cover, bikes covered up to a maximum value rather than named bikes. Customer service is great. Cover extends to pretty much all cycling events with the exception of Road Crits and Downhill MTB.

Also take a look a Laka too, different slant on insurance, your premium is calculated on the value of your bike v the amount of claims made and the its capped. Coverage for all racing except pro level.

Tracey

Again been with Pedalcover for a couple of years mainly to get all the bikes covered. Was with the old type of M and S for years before that but price was getting silly with the bikes on.

DezB
    Free Member

Cheapest you can find on a comparison site that gives you the cover you want. Er, simples (although Confused always come up with the cheapest for me).
    Most do the bikes as specified items – impossible to recommend one company, it depends where you are, etc. Mine changes every year.
    Insurance is one big con-job, so no point overpaying because you think you’re getting something better.

Alphabet

Another vote for Pedalcover. Unfortunately we had to make a claim but it all went through very smoothly.

ossify

If you have any kind of account with Nationwide, look at them directly for insurance as they give a 25% discount for members.
    We just got a much cheaper quote with them for better cover than previously, with different levels of bike cover options available.

Underwritten by RSA (same as our previous) and we had a no hassle home claim with them recently.

gribble
    Free Member

Many thanks all, just requested a quote from PedalCover.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The pedal cover quote will be double the best quote on a comparison site. I appreciate they’re great with bikes etc but I can’t justify the extra cost.
    On my Lloyds policy my bikes are named and valued, I’ve also photographed everything in my shed etc including the bikes to cover my arse in the event of a claim

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Today’s most boring post – recommend me some home insurance’ is closed to new replies.