Todays moral dilemma…..disabled parking.

Home Forum Chat Forum Todays moral dilemma…..disabled parking.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Todays moral dilemma…..disabled parking.
  • Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

There are many forms of disability. They don’t all prevent you from riding a bicycle.

Rest easy…. 😀

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

At least they don’t have “parent and child” spaces next to the disabled ones 😉

jambourgie

If you’re not using your blue badge, can I borrow it? I’m not disabled, but I am very lazy.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

You can only use the badge if you have my wife with you. You may be better off paying for your parking! 😉

Premier Icon franksinatra
    Subscriber

When I am Ruler of The World I will make all blue badge assessments be based on ability to ride Green trail at Glentress whilst being chased by a Honey Badger. If you get caught and attacked you get a badge and special parking space. If you get around without being caught, you park in a normal bay, if you get caught but beat up the honey badger, you get an extra special da Boss parking space.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I was offered a blue badge when I was recuperating from my ****ed leg, but I’d have felt a bit weird sticking it on the motorbike so I passed.

Same thing here, I’d take it back to the basics and say why do you have a disabled pass? To let you park nearer to where you’re going. In this case do you benefit from that? Nope, so don’t use disabled space.

But it’s a personal call I reckon and nothing to be looked down on.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Not sure why this is bugging me but it is.

We went to Glentress today for a family pootle on the green trail. Parking at Glentress is free for blue badge holders.

MrsMC is disabled (cerebal palsy) and has a blue badge as she meets the criteria (mainly being prone to stumbling, hence the ongoing broken finger saga, and problems carrying stuff) However, she is also capable of riding the green trails at Glentress.

Just struck me as somehow being “wrong” to rock up at a trail centre, pop the blue badge on the dashboard to miss the parking charges and then ride off up the hill.

Still, the parking money got spent at the cafe by the kids.

neilwheel

Carry on parking for free, donate some time or money to a local charity.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

there is nothing to stop you putting the money in the machine as a donation.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Would cutting one of her legs off help ease your troubled conscience?

TiRed

My sister is 45 and has terminal skin melanoma and therefore has a blue badge. She really needed this when she first came out of hospital after several nasty operations and being in ICU for 8 weeks……..BUT the thing is she is now on a remarkable drug which means in the short term she doesn’t even look ill and certainly the casual observer wouldn’t realise how sick she is. She does get very tired some days (and in the future she will certainly get much worse again) but as she is perfectly entitled to it and has 4 small kids so she uses it to do things to make life nice – the perfect example was a trip to London in the car which I would never have done and the parking was SO easy we now call it the ‘Magic Badge’ as a joke……..I totally get what you’re saying though – she’s entitled to it but somehow on the good days you feel a bit of a fraud?! I think in a caring society we can be flexible enough so that people are properly looked after when they have a chronic problem, so don’t worry and be grateful and proud that your wife is such a positive role model!!!

mattsccm

Compromise. Use the badge to save the money but not the parking spaces!

sweepy

There aren’t many perks to disability, enjoy it.

Premier Icon bigdean
    Subscriber

My little boy has a blue badge, no ball on his femur and no socket on his pelvis. Get all sorts of looks as he gets out the car signing like a mental 5 year old can. But dont see him needing a carry cause he cant walk around a supermarket.
    This week he rode 11 miles and the other week rode from the village in bluestone upto the swimming pool (bigish hill and thanks to the tour de france he wants a spotty jersey).

People are dicks and expect the elephant man when they see a blue badge.

Its people using the disabled bay ’cause there “just dropping off/picking up” that annoy us.

Edit: its the extra space to get him in and out thats needed so we’ll use the parent bays if possible.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

your wife has cerebal palsy, you have every right to park using the badge and don’t feel bad !!!

the spaces are at the front not just for making the walk shorter but also mrsMC not being at risk of the other cars in the car park, I used to chauffeur my grandma who didn’t have a car but did have and use a badge for anyone giving her a lift and I used to feel odd because I have full mobility but I wasn’t prepared for her to try to walk through tesco carpark at the speed people drive there

She’s legally disabled.

End.

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

Mock anyone that rides slower than your wife, OP. 😉

“Hey you. You just got beat by a disabled woman!” 😡

Premier Icon bigdean
    Subscriber

I should have add dropping off/ picking up none blue badge holders. As in just picking their shopping up.

Know what you mean though, as a wheelchair user I was offered help and the old orange badge came in useful whilst fighting arthritis. I still can’t walk far without pain/ discomfort but never bothered with the blue badge out of pride more than anything. If it makes life safer and easier for her then suggest to just get on with it, use the parking offered – there’re enough tossers persecuting/judging disabled people in the UK right now without doing it to ourselves!

geetee1972

Nothing boils my urine more than people parking in disabled spaces without a disabled badge. There is a co-op round the corner from us that seven times out of ten that I visit it will have someone parked in that space without a badge. I always lift their windscreen wipers and if I see anyone doing it I tend to challenge them verbally. I often get asked who the hell I think I am to question them and I always reply ‘I’m the citizen with both the conscience to challenge your inconsiderate behaviour and the willingness to back it up’.

I don’t know why what might be a trivial thing irks me so much. Perhaps it’s because it’s indicative of the general decline in social ands personal responsibility that is the inevitable conclusion to draw as one gets older.

theocb

It’s important to treat people fairly.. which is why I always park in disabled bays. Disabled people deserve the respect to be treated just like everybody else.

b r

For you to be asking the question really means that YOU think what YOU are doing is wrong – therefore don’t do it.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

I never realised quite how many people abuse the blue badge spaces until my father had one when he was ill. SO frustrating when you needed to park close so he could make it and some fat lazy **** has taken up the last blue badge spot because they are too lazy/cheap to park elsewhere. Makes you want to break their legs so they can park there legitimately! I met a ‘militant’ blue badge holder with a big but tatty car that he would just park across offenders’ cars and block them in and leave it there for the day.

(fwiw if the parking fee was directly funding the trail centre I’d buy a ticket no matter what, but use the disabled bays if have reason and permit, naturally)

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

I’ve probably posted this before, but my wife has MS and is now confined to a wheelchair so the blue badge is not in question but TBH if there is space I don’t usually bother with the spaces as I’m pushing her and I’m not disabled(much).

The French have a good little sign next to most disabled bays that says something along the lines of “Take my space, Take my disability”

Disabled means many different things. GT are obliged to provide Blue Badge facilities as part of a ratio of car parking. Up to you whether your wife’s condition means you use the facilties at each an every opportunity, IMO I have no right to question it.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

If you qualify for a permit no issue with taking the space. In your situation I would probably not take the last space just in case someone with a greater need wanted to use it but if there are a few spaces then go for it. If you are happy to contribute to the upkeep of the place by using the cafe or whatever that is good too.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Todays moral dilemma…..disabled parking.’ is closed to new replies.