Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Todays big news Subways bread isn’t bread!
  • blokeuptheroad

I don’t happen to like Subway, but this does smack a little of middle class Guardianistas sneering over their organic ciabattas at the type of lunch working class people eat.

mogrim

You couldn’t just have a Big Mac and be satisfied

I do. That’s all I ever get when I go in with the kids. I never get a Meal Deal etc.

Big Mac, do I want the “Giant Menu”, well yes, of course I do. With a large cerveza, thankyouverymuch.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Sweet food has sugar in it? No way!

Makes me want a meatball marinara sub now. But the wife has also suggested taco belle tonight. Choices choices.

sirromj

Nothing wrong with sneering over shit food IMHO. Not just working class though. Young-ish lad works with us, very good at Call of Duty but not so hot on attention to detail. He’ll have exactly the same lunch day after day for months on end, one year pot noodles, the next rustlers burgers, after that super noodles. Won’t eat salad or anything good for him. I don’t get it!

breadcrumb

Hmmm foot long meatball marinara, on hearty Italian with cheese, gerkins, onions and jalapeños please. Toasted of course.

slackboy

I got a bacon sandwich from there once. My first and last. Revolting.

Me too. it was going OK until it they put it in microsoft to reheat.

but this does smack a little of middle class Guardianistas sneering over their organic ciabattas

Its really not. Its an article about how something has so much sugar in it , that in no longer counts as bread for VAT purposes.

Its another depressing indication of hidden calories and crap in our foods – although I don’t like subway it would never have occurred to me that there would be so much added sugar in something as (relatively) straightforward as bread.

johndoh
    Free Member

Why do people keep posting up the favourite Subway sandwich? They all taste exactly the same anyway.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about other things that aren’t the things we think they are:

Potatoes, not vegetables.
    Bananas, not Fruit.
    Forks and Spoons, not cutlery.
    Fireflies – not flies.
    Strawberries, not berries.
    Koalas – not bears.
    Peanuts – not nuts.
    Turkeys – not really turkeys, sort of, that one’s a bit of a odd one.

mogrim

Bananas, not Fruit.

Olives, fruit.

prawny

Tomatoes – mammals
    Whales – fruit

binners

You couldn’t just have a Big Mac and be satisfied

That’s why you have a double cheeseburger chaser 😀

I see the triple cheeseburger is now on the menu. Mmmmmmmmmmm

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Potatoes, not vegetables.

Yes, yes they are.

Only in America.

We’re not in America.

They’re cutlery.

Pook

Spicy Italian foot long on Italian herbs and cheese with everything but tomatoes and cucumber, chilli sauce.

Mmmmmmm

Moderation innit

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Why do people keep posting up the favourite Subway sandwich? They all taste exactly the same anyway.

Sure they do

mrhoppy

I use subway when I’m in Saudi as it’s consistent, available and quick, however I did find a shawarma place near to the subway in the City I was visiting last time and now go there out of preference (Its a lot slower though).

onewheelgood

Whales – fruit

The whale is an insect and it lives on bananas.

mcj78
    Free Member

A guy i used to work with had a 12″ meatball monstrosity every single day, used to come back into the office & stank the place out – the sauce was usually dripping out the bottom of the bag – rest of his diet was similarly unhealthy & he proudly proclaimed to enjoy 4 large shites per day. I believed him.

Didn’t put me off though – 12″ Italian BMT on the oatmeal bread with everything except cucumber and extra spicy sauce here please, not had one for ages – next week i’m right in about one when i’m back in work.

hatter

Oh man, footlong meatball monstrousity, cheese and toasted, all the salad and pickles except tomato and cucumber. Southwest and chill sauce.

I love ’em, but my farts could strip wallpaper afterwards, they’re practically grounds for divorce.

Not somethng I’d recomend anyone eats regularly, but every now and again… FILTH!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh yeh, you don’t have a Subway every day but there are(were) days in the office when it hit 12 and you couldn’t rid the thought of a foot of bread-like stuff with fresh fillings straight out of a plastic container for lunch.

hols2
    Free Member

Bananas, not Fruit.

It has seeds, therefore it’s fruit. Which means ketchup is fruit sauce.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cucumber = fruit

Cougar

You know most of them offer wraps as an option if you object to their ‘bread’?

I’ve not tried it since they changed it to vegan but I used to enjoy their veggie pattie. One of the few fast food places that treated their veggie offering just like any other protein, and (at least front-of-house where you can see them) tried to avoid cross-contamination.

Cougar

I’ve been thinking about other things that aren’t the things we think they are:

Tomatoes are fruit.

Wut choo talkin bout, Willis?

ads678

I had one of their vegan meatball subs a while back and was pleasantly surprised. Usually* go for a steak and cheese with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onions, olives and jalapenos with what ever the south west sauce is called nowadays

*usually = maybe once or twice a year..

zilog6128

yeah the vegan non-meat meatball sub is really good, actually much prefer it to the “meat” version

davros

I once bought some brioche burger buns from Waitrose which were special Heston ones as there was nothing else left. The bun contained more saturated fat than the beefburger. Wtf?

chevychase

@Molgrips:
    “Oh great another snobby food thread. How uplifting!”

It’s not food. It’s just stuff that you can stick in your mouth.

It’s also not snobbery to point that out.

In the 1980’s McDonalds admitted in the UK courts that their burgers were up to 5% fecal matter. It didn’t stop anyone eating them. But then you get Morgan Spurlock and supersize me etc etc – and you realise it’s not food either. It’s stuff you can eat – but food, by definition, sustains you.

I could make and eat scouse for the rest of my life – lots of onions, vegetables, small amounts of meat, all in a nice stock. It would sustain me. Because that’s food.

Subway is stuff you can put in your mouth designed by “food” scientists. It can’t sustain you – in fact, in not-so-long-term it will do you damage.

Because it’s not food.

Pointing that out is not snobbery. Snobbery is pointing out that subway doesn’t stock your caviar and champagne of the required expense. This is just maintaining basic food standards and not falling for profiteers who’ll sell idiots any old cr@p that they can legally cram in their mouth, for profit.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Wut choo talkin bout, Willis?

Supposedly cutlery only refers to knifes and the rest is ‘flatware’, but here we’ve thrown the lot in together as cutlery, leaving on the Americans to use ‘flatware’ and ‘Silverware’ – making it an Americanism, which of course is repugnant.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Can you get cheap cider in a Subway? News to me

hooli

I don’t mind the odd subway, it is quite expensive for what it is though.

It also makes me incredibly thirsty after eating it, I suspect it has more salt that the sea but I don’t care as it fixes a hangover.

Cougar

Supposedly cutlery only refers to knifes and the rest is ‘flatware’

That makes total sense, the only component that’s flat is the only one not called flatware.

In the 1980’s McDonalds admitted in the UK courts that their burgers were up to 5% fecal matter.

Assuming that to be true for the sake of argument because I can’t be arsed to fact check it, look at the wording there. “Up to.”

So as however much fecal matter might make it into a burger (and you do know where meat comes from, right?) they are promising that it will never be more than 5%. It would be equally valid to claim their burgers were up to 100% fecal matter or 5% Richard Whiteley without changing its composition one jot.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s not food. It’s just stuff that you can stick in your mouth.

It’s also not snobbery to point that out.

In the 1980’s McDonalds admitted in the UK courts that their burgers were up to 5% fecal matter. It didn’t stop anyone eating them. But then you get Morgan Spurlock and supersize me etc etc – and you realise it’s not food either. It’s stuff you can eat – but food, by definition, sustains you.

I could make and eat scouse for the rest of my life – lots of onions, vegetables, small amounts of meat, all in a nice stock. It would sustain me. Because that’s food.

Subway is stuff you can put in your mouth designed by “food” scientists. It can’t sustain you – in fact, in not-so-long-term it will do you damage.

Because it’s not food.

Pointing that out is not snobbery. Snobbery is pointing out that subway doesn’t stock your caviar and champagne of the required expense. This is just maintaining basic food standards and not falling for profiteers who’ll sell idiots any old cr@p that they can legally cram in their mouth, for profit.

I’m going to stick my neck out here, but that’s all complete bollocks isn’t it?

I’m fairly sure that if a quarter pounder contained 6g of shit, you’d notice, but if I’m wrong, provide a source. You’re far more likely to find faecal matter on vegetables, or anything else grown out in the open, in actual shit.

As for the rest… bullshit. If food was only food is you were able to live eating nothing else, very few things would be considered food, and your example doesn’t conform exclusively to the definition of “food”.

Cougar

Can you get cheap cider in a Subway? News to me

I fear our esteemed poster was referring to a subway rather than Subway. It was a pune.

hols2
    Free Member

In the 1980’s McDonalds admitted in the UK courts that their burgers were up to 5% fecal matter.

1. Do you have a source for this? It sounds like BS.

2. As the old saying goes, the scandal isn’t that they do it, it’s that it’s legal. (Which means that everyone else’s burgers are probably pretty much the same because they’ll all be aiming to duck just under whatever the legal limit is.)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure that if a quarter pounder contained 6g of shit, you’d notice, but if I’m wrong, provide a source. You’re far more likely to find faecal matter on vegetables

Surely the fecal matter of a cow IS vegetables?
    Maybe it makes it more healthy?
    (i’m joking)

johndoh
    Free Member

Do you have a source for this? It sounds like BS.

I think that’s the point – it is BS. Up to 5% of BS.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Surely the fecal matter of a cow IS vegetables?
    Maybe it makes it more healthy?
    (i’m joking)

True.

I once knew a man who got paid to take shit, and got paid again from people who bought it.

His farm stank, but don’t they all, but he was making a fortune at the time, probably still is, funny old world.

piemonster

Oh great another snobby food thread. How uplifting!

Oh great, another thread where well justified concerns over food quality are vacuously dismissed as snobby. How uplifting!

Anyway, Subway food is dog shit 🐕 💩

BearBack
    Free Member

Better not start on the subway chicken only being 50% actual chicken…

Northwind

The argument is that it’s bread that doesn’t qualify as a staple, rather than not being bread at all, isn’t it?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Todays big news Subways bread isn’t bread!’ is closed to new replies.