Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Today is a good day!
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

As the middle-lane hoggers rule comes in to force today. 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Are they hanging them from the overhead gantries?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oh to have a middle lane again… 2 lanes confuses Tasmanians enough.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Tailgaters too. 😀

kiwijohn

I think 2 lanes is enough down here Mike.

dannybgoode

Have they managed to define a middle lane hogger yet? For example, is someone who is driving at the speed limit but staying in the middle lane hogging it as legally no one should be able to overtake them…

jodafett

Today is a good day………

…because DannyB stopped signing posts with

Cheers

DannyB

🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

hogging has nothing to do with absolute speed. It’s being in a lane further to the offside than necessary for longer than necessary to complete a safe pass of a slower moving vehicle, unless in queuing traffic.

Cheers.

The Stig.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

probably but experiencing the Kiwi version this week 🙂 a slightly different experience

Smudger666

Danny – I’ve wondered that as well – prove the offence if there are lorries ahead – what constitutes hogging? A traffic officers judgement?

Don’t get me wrong, I HATE middle lane hoggers, just wondering how, what criteria they will use to legally define the offence.

chvck
    Free Member

Are they actually going to attempt to enforce this rule?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not moving left when there is space to, you should drive in the left most lane possible, if you are a bit scared of changing lanes then you should probably stay at home.

patriotpro
    Free Member

jodafett – Member
    Today is a good day………

…because DannyB stopped signing posts with

Cheers

DannyB

Amen to that 😉 And it’s a Friday 8)

PS – Must have undertook at least 10 hoggers on my 13 mile commute 🙄

peterfile
    Free Member

+1

How often do you actually see traffic cops policing the roads, nevermind being able to spot, confirm and then pull over someone driving in the one lane without moving back to the left?

Although, I’d have thought that traffic cops will be LOVING this new law, gives them a chance to pull over idiot drivers and not only give them a talking to about how crap their driving is, but also give them a ticket!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    How often do you actually see traffic cops policing the roads, nevermind being able to spot, confirm and then pull over someone driving in the one lane without moving back to the left?

Yep, those unmarked patrol cars are getting harder to spot! 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

All I see every day on the motorway though is speeding, undertaking and general poor behaviour and it’s fairly rare to see people getting pulled.

This new law feels a wee bit like pissing in the wind. The people who it’s designed to target won’t even be aware what they are doing is wrong, so how will it change behaviour?

binners

Of course they’ll enforce it. Rigorously. All 20 of the traffic cops left on the nations roads will clamp down on it in the same ruthless fashion they do on mobile phone use while driving.

Personally I’d have snipers stationed on gantries to take out middle lane sitters

epicyclo

Stoner – Member
    hogging has nothing to do with absolute speed. It’s being in a lane further to the offside than necessary for longer than necessary to complete a safe pass of a slower moving vehicle, unless in queuing traffic.

What’s always puzzled me about this middle lane hogging business is how can you legally pass someone who is travelling at the speed limit?

Therefore it can’t be hogging if you are at the speed limit surely.

peterfile
    Free Member

Being in the middle lane when you are not overtaking and it’s safe to move into the left is lane hogging, regardless of the speed you are travelling?

It’s not up to joe public to enforce the speed limit by sitting in front of other drivers at 70mph

patriotpro
    Free Member

what criteria they will use to legally define the offence.

The obvious ones I suppose. There’s enough of the obvious ones on the road to disuade the law from bothering with the not so obvious instances.

peterfile
    Free Member

The obvious ones I suppose. There’s enough of the obvious ones on the road to disuade the law from bothering with the not so obvious instances.

Yep. Can’t imagine the cops will be driving around looking for people who don’t immediately move left.

They’ll be picking up the muppets who casually cruise in the middle lane on a quiet road, which is why it seems unlikely that many will be caught.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Film it from the gantries and post out the penalties, it’s not as if we are short of cameras.

dooosuk
    Free Member

It’s not the middle lane, it’s the 1st overtaking lane. If you aren’t over taking, you shouldn’t be in it.

That should answer all the if I’m going 70mph how can I be hogging protesters.

Cougar

What’s always puzzled me about this middle lane hogging business is how can you legally pass someone who is travelling at the speed limit?

Because most people who think they’re travelling at the speed limit, aren’t. Speedos usually overread, often by about 10%. So they’re in the middle lane going “I’m alright Jack, I’m doing 70, sod the rest of you” when in actuality they’re doing something in the low- to mid-60s.

dannybgoode

So its less of an offence to be driving at 80+ which is the only time when someone sitting in the middle lane doing the speed limit would be an inconvenience than it is to be the one sitting in the middle lane?

Just playing devils advocate here but shouldn’t both drivers be done and if speed limits were enforced more then ‘hogging’ would be less of an issue.

For the record I do generally stay left when pertinent to do so.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The folks that this is aimed at couldn’t give a toss about either the law nor common sense.

There are some right ignorant folk on this planet, so far law and common sense has passed them by.

dooosuk
    Free Member

So its less of an offence to be driving at 80+ which is the only time when someone sitting in the middle lane doing the speed limit would be an inconvenience than it is to be the one sitting in the middle lane?

Who said anything about that? The speeding laws still exist and I’m sure will continue to be enforced as much as they are currently.

cranberry
    Free Member

There should be plenty of these:

coming back from Afghanistan and plenty of squaddies looking for employment – together they should be able to machinegun some sense into middle lane hoggers and those who won’t use their indicators.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you are a bit scared of changing lanes then you should probably stay at home.

THIS i always wonder how they get to the middle lane in the first place

As a gentle plodder at 60 I often get them stuck behind me when I overtake the odd truck. Its ace the way even with a clear third lane they just sit there . I would say at most days I undertake someone in the middle lane as well despite only doing 60 mph as well

as others note it is for overtaking and the I am doing 70 line is simplistic. Why not just go in to the “fast lane then”

I doubt they will enforce it

Does anyone have any idea why on a four lane road the third lane becomes the middle lane

So its less of an offence to be driving at 80+

No they are both offences and IMHO should both be enforced equally.

martinhutch

Half the problem on busy motorways is that, if you are prepared to move from lane 2 back into lane one (or 3 to 2 for that matter) for a short distance before you’ll need to overtake again, the buggers you’re trying to be polite to will deliberately bunch up and not let you pull out again – so you end up with the option of braking to 50 and waiting endlessly for a decent gap, or forcing your way out, sending a braking wave backwards down the road.

Trying to legislate for a general lack of manners on all sides on the M25 at 8am is a minefield.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Seen as every lane bar the one next to the hard-shoulder is essentially an auxilliary-lane for over-taking only, driving in the middle lane when the inside lane is free is therefore ‘hogging’ and now illegal. I fail to see how there can be ambiguity about it personally.

Cougar

Does anyone have any idea why on a four lane road the third lane becomes the middle lane

Stupidity.

if you are prepared to move from lane 2 back into lane one (or 3 to 2 for that matter) for a short distance before you’ll need to overtake again, the buggers you’re trying to be polite to will deliberately bunch up and not let you pull out again

Odd how that almost never happens to me.

Forward planning, innit.

wilko1999
    Free Member

As others have said, regardless of what speed people around you are doing, its your job to drive at/within the speed limit in the correct lane, which is lane 1, unless you are overtaking.

Anyway, I think they will enforce this as much as possible. They currently can’t be arsed basically because of the hoops that need jumping through to get a conviction. This costs a huge amount. Now your average work-a-day traffic cop can just pull you over and get £100 each time he does it. Its a win/win for them

wilko1999
    Free Member

Pretty sure this has been in the Highway Code since I learnt to drive 21 years ago:

https://www.gov.uk/motorways-253-to-273/lane-discipline-264-to-266

fervouredimage
    Free Member

All I see every day on the motorway though is speeding, undertaking and general poor behaviour and it’s fairly rare to see people getting pulled.

This new law feels a wee bit like pissing in the wind. The people who it’s designed to target won’t even be aware what they are doing is wrong, so how will it change behaviour?

Indeed. Plus the motorway has just become ( was it ever different?) a free for all. I find motorway driving quite unpleasant as it seems that you are relying on others people’s own sense of self preservation, rather than an understanding of the law/rules/etiquette, to drive safely.

I still find it ludicrous that motorway driving doesn’t form part of driving lessons/test.

CHB

Just back from 2 weeks in Florida. The Americans have no concept of lane discipline. All three lanes would have traffic in them (four lanes in some cases), with everyone doing below the speed limit. No one pulls into a an inside lane even if theres lots of space and no one moves over for faster vehicles. Its like they have no mirrors or awareness of other traffic around them…..its the only time I have ever been glad to see the M62.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Isn’t undertaking legal in the US though, so lane discipline is less of an issue?

peterfile
    Free Member

I did quite a lot of driving between Munich, Salzburg and the Austria lakes/Bavarian alps last week.

I always thought of German drivers on the autobahn like some sort of mythical driving demi-gods. They’re terrible!

Reasonable lane discipline, most do seem to move back out of the overtaking lanes, but that’s only because there’s idiots hooning it at 120mph+ in heavy traffic, sitting a car length away from each others bumpers and weaving in and out of traffic with only a split seconds notice.

I saw more dangerous manoeuvres in a week of driving there than I have in a year on the roads in the UK.

Can’t imagine what it must be like having to do daily driving on roads like the A8 (like my mates does every day). He hates it.

Cougar

The Americans have no concept of lane discipline.

There’s a couple of differences here, though.

First, the ‘first’ lane on a three-lane highway is often an entry / exit lane; you simply cannot drive in it, or you’ll end up being filtered off somewhere else unless you hop lanes every few hundred yards.

Second, there’s no concept of an overtaking lane like there is here. You’re expected to use whatever’s here.

Isn’t undertaking legal in the US though, so lane discipline is less of an issue?

Well, yes, but you seem to be implying that it’s not legal over here, which isn’t the case. Undertaking isn’t illegal, though driving without due care / dangerous driving is. If you’re swinging in and out of lanes carving people up, that’s what you’ll be charged with; you’re explicitly allowed to pass on the left to overtake slower-moving traffic.

molgrips
    Free Member

not moving left when there is space to, you should drive in the left most lane possible, if you are a bit scared of changing lanes then you should probably stay at home.

So what, are we supposed to be constantly weaving in and out of the inside lane? This would be far far worse than sitting in it when there are lorries in the inside lane.

Isn’t undertaking legal in the US though

No. Not in most states at least. The rules are the same as they are here, but no-one seems to give a crap.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Today is a good day!’ is closed to new replies.