Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Today, I shall mostly be building this:
  • Stoner
    Free Member

here’s the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twl3G1P717s

sorry for lousy quality…

theflatboy
    Free Member

very nice bike hutch!

nickc

Nice one, looks cool. Laura wants to know how many wine bottles it’ll carry?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

probably not enough for her 😆

nickc

[thread hijack]

Mike, what time are you turning up on Saturday?

Bacon butties are apparently going to be available.

[/thread hijack]

Stoner
    Free Member

Right. We’re off to the recycling tip with some cardboard and workshop rubbish. If I dont make it back for tea, send a medic and the AA.

tell Laura that I reckon easily 6 cases, more with the wideloader rails 🙂

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Bloody hell – thought that grey thing must be bike stand when I first saw it. How many can you put in a row?

Stoner
    Free Member

How many can you put in a row

why didnt I think of that? Genius!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

nick – hows 8am sound?

Bacon butties sounds like a winner

i like the idea of an xrtracycle road train

soma_rich
    Free Member

ohhh if I didnt live in a flat with 7 flights of stairs I would be getting me one of them!

mk1fan
    Free Member

Is there support to the rear dropouts too? I can’t quite see in the piccies.

noteeth
    Free Member

Nice work comrade! 😀

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Dropout securing (bike is upside down again as it’s easier to assemble that way!)

More building detail pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheesyfeet/sets/72157606127561119/

BigDummy
    Free Member

edit

juan
    Free Member

looks very long to me.
    Is a Ute or a bigdummy shorter?

BigDummy
    Free Member

My Dummy was slightly shorter than the Xtracycle built onto a Kona A’Ha. But the A’Ha is a very long bike.

Stoner
    Free Member

looks very long to me.

that’ll be why it’s called a “longtail”…

made it back. Brilliant fun.
    Top day’s work. No where’s my beer….?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

clearly now is the perfect time to asses it’s beer and bbq supply carrying qualities……

nickc

Mike, cool, see you then

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This is bad.

I have no need for such a bike
    A trailer would probably be more practical if I did have such a need, and certainly cheaper

But

I still want one.

If only to lash the box to the side and pootle off to the tip, watching cars crash as the drivers stare at me.

Love it.
    🙂

juan
    Free Member

I am like peter.
    Mind You I have just bought my rack. Now I need to buy panniers. I have seen somethign very nice just cross fingers my LBS can have it 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

just got to explore strapping junior’s car seat to it securely, (and getting him a helmet I s’pose) and then I can take him shopping…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL! I can just see Juan on one of those!
    😀

Stoner – Does the £450 include the pannier bags?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have to say I find it hideous and dont really want one, but I can understand those that do because I have an urge for something most people find hideous…

Stoner
    Free Member

yep.

£450 covers the frame extension, the vertical frames and the snap deck. The nylon sides and straps (they’re not panniers as such, but rather slings in which you can carry stuff/bags). Also comes with long inner cable, some brake cable too, and a rollamajig for the back end and some extra 8spd chain.

The disk caliper mount comes out at 203mm when you stick a normal 160mm IS calliper/mount on it so you need a hefty big rotor (thanks mick!).

Other than that I just put some fat cheap (£8 each) 26″ road tyres on some cheap but strong rimmed wheels and away you go…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Now I’m doing sums.

My SS Inbred would be perfect for this conversion

I’ve got some tough spare wheels, a spare casette and chain (I take it I need 2 chains?), some 1.95 slicks and some spare risers to replace the flatties (I think…)

So I could flog the SS’s wheels and the Rebas on it, (which has got to be £200 worth combined) buy some cheap rigids and a few other bits like a front mudguard and I’m in for under £300!!

Oh nooooooooooooo. I can feel it in my bones……..
    😉

Stoner
    Free Member

PP – that is how mine started – doing mental arithmatic while reading someone else’s xtracycle thread 🙂

It’s like a contagion… 🙂

if you’re running 8spd then there’s extra chain in the box.

TBVH I cheated and have used a new 8spd chain, with the extra 8spd links in the box on a 9spd cassette and it’s fine.

juan
    Free Member

Do not tempt me peter 😉
    but do you know that 300£ if you organise yourself in advance will take you mrs poddy and both motorcycle on the train from paris to Nice 😉

ourmaninthenorth

There’s a fantastic and growing cargo bike/longtail niche on here.

You all need to get back and check out Miketually’s thread on his recently purchased (and crashed) Yuba Mundo and Big Dummy’s various posts, including his most recent on nice looking Dummies.

It’s my intention to invest in something similar as soon as the OK is granted by the domestic credit committee.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

as soon as the OK is granted by the domestic credit committee.

LOL!
    😀

Juan , we’ve looked into the train thing before. As far as I can see you have to book it in Paris, at the station yes? How much is it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TBVH I cheated and have used a new 8spd chain, with the extra 8spd links in the box on a 9spd cassette and it’s fine.

Surely not? That’s tantamount to witchcraft on STW isn’t it?
    Black Magic! Burn him!

😉

juan
    Free Member

Well you could book it in any station 😉 so lets say you know a nice friend living in france and willing to do it for you it should be very very easy 😉
    I paid 130€ for mine,but IIRC it was because I got a refundable ticket.
    Let me investigate shall we 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

made it back. Brilliant fun.

Fair play – when I saw that loaded pic up there I thought you’d never get it moving 😉 . Looks good – I want one (but the chances of getting it out of my street are not great).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m now running the idea past Mrs Poddy……

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Stoner that is one odd looking bike, but as with all things a bit odd, it is strangely appealing. Hmmmm…what can I sell to raise funds, anyone want a couple of house trained kids?

BigDummy
    Free Member
    jalopy
    Free Member

clearly now is the perfect time to asses it’s beer and bbq supply carrying qualities……

Here’s my newly complete Dummy on duty as convenient barbeque and booze carrier and general chopping board last weekend

clicky

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

can’t see it but I managed to get charcoal and beer in normal panniers on friday 🙂

i also carried a pair of Pace RC41s 45 miles in my panniers on tuesday 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

How are you getting on with the Adventure Racks? What panniers are you using?

jalopy
    Free Member

Adventure racks are fine now theyre innertubed and ziptied in place – had a tendency to jump out before. No panniers or deck yet – I’m going to make my own – freeloaders and snap deck seem pretty darn expensive at current exchange for a bit of ply and some nylon bags… plus i didn’t really want xtracycle emblazoned in big letters on the side.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Today, I shall mostly be building this:’ is closed to new replies.