Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Today I had… (coffee content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

A black filter coffee from Starbucks instead of my usual espresso. I’ve never had this kind of drink before from a shop. I went for Christmas blend which to be honest I didn’t like. The initial hit was weird, like some kind of sweeties, and whilst the finish was quite nice, overall it was a bit weird.

Quite nice to have a drink to sip for a long time though, and I’ll definitely have another. Just not Christmas blend.

qwerty
    Free Member

Chai Latte for the win!!!!
    (costs more than a pint though)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A quick glance into my crystal ball sees you smoking crack by the new year.

peterfile
    Free Member

Cool story Hansel

camo16
    Free Member

If you asked for a ‘black filter coffee’ my thinking is the Starbucks server looked at you with a mixture of (a) contempt, (b) scorn, (c) pity and (d) empathy and then said “you mean an Amerciano, right? * snigger, snigger, snigger * 😡

Starbucks – the new Java fascism. 🙄

peterfile
    Free Member

^ not really

an americano would get you a shot of espresso topped up with hot water.

whenever I buy coffee beans from Starbucks they always give me a free filter coffee which is nice.

some roasts are actually much better filtered, the local “proper” coffee shop used to treat their filter coffee as importantly as their espresso etc

nealglover
    Free Member

Camo,

An americano and a black filter coffee or two different things.
    If the Starbucks server didn’t know the difference, I would ask to be served by someone else who knew a bit about coffee 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Camo, they usually have two coffees on the go in a big filter machine behind the counter. So not an Americano. The coffees change too, some blends, some single origin.

Only cost £1.20 too.

camo16
    Free Member

Hmmm…

That’s not the way it was where I went. 😕

I had the * snigger, snigger * reaction and ended up with an Americano and a side dish of scorn.

Should have gone to Costas, maybe?

camo16
    Free Member

Okay, now you’ve got me questioning a lot more than Starbucks…

When I go with my boy to MacDonalds and ask for a ‘happy meal’, is it acceptable to be handed a box full of fibrous cr*p and a pants toy? Or, should I ask to be served by someone else who knows a bit about happiness?

AndyP
    Free Member

If you asked for a ‘black filter coffee’ my thinking is the Starbucks server looked at you with a mixture of (a) contempt, (b) scorn, (c) pity and (d) empathy and then said “you mean an Amerciano, right? * snigger, snigger, snigger *

Starbucks – the new Java fascism.

They’d have to be a proper **** to get two completely different drinks mixed up, wouldn’t they?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m yet to find a starbucks employee who knows what a ‘long black’ is…

after i’ve explained it, they normally ask: “you mean an americano ?”

me: “not really, but ok, yes, if you say so – whatever”

and then they give me a massive bucket of watery filter coffee.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Was it a spur of the moment decision, or had you decided to try a different coffee before you went in? 😛 But going to starbucks? *shakes head*

After spending a month in Portugal and Spain, i’ve started drinking espresso…that’s something i never thought i’d do!

molgrips
    Free Member

I was going to have an espresso (you’re only allowed black coffee on iDiet) but the person in front of me ordered a filter coffee so on an impulse I copied them.

And yes, Starbucks.. show me a better coffee shop within 5 minutes walk of Temple Quay, Bristol and I’m there.

Awhiles, Camo – have a look behind the counter. There’s almost always a big industrial double filter machine back there. Often accompanied by a sign with ‘coffee of the day’ on it and some information.

http://starbucks.co.uk/menu/beverage-list/brewed-coffee

“Our smooth, unique Pike Place Roast is brewed all day every day in all of our stores, with selected stores brewing seasonal and regional favourites alongside”

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

you’re only allowed black coffee on iDiet

Are you allowed green tea?

camo16
    Free Member

Are you allowed green tea?

As long as there’s a squirt or two of Vegan breast milk, I believe.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

you’re only allowed black coffee on iDiet

yip, i know this…i’m toying with the idea of a slightly modified idiet over winter and thinking that getting used to espresso first would be a good move!

(TSY, i’m also off milk chocolate and only eating dark chocolate…mustard has been a bad influence on me! 🙄 btw, i got my body composition analysis report back, i don’t quite understand some of it so have a few questions about it, but its v good motivation!)

molgrips
    Free Member

The only way dark chocolate can contribute to the diet is if you get the strong stuff and only eat a few tiny bits of it. Works for me 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Always get a drip from Starbucks. I find their espresso isn’t great.

Interestingly some coffee websites reckon that filter is the best way to drink most coffee.

But I always **** it up by adding milk. 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How did they perform the analysis Dirty_One? Has Mustard been making you eat more chocolate or making you it the dark stuff?

Couple of squares of G&B is all you need IMO. Having said that, I’m eating loads of flapjack etc… reading Tri mags has made me think I can eat a lot more than I have been 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve been upping the % of dark chocolate – i used to hate dark chocolate and am now up to about 75%. I only eat a few bits before I’ve had my fix so its a step in the right direction! 🙂

brassneck

I was going to have an espresso (you’re only allowed black coffee on iDiet) but the person in front of me ordered a filter coffee so on an impulse I copied them.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwZcw0Ejcc[/video]

iDave
    Free Member

if i have to endure starbucks i also have a filter coffee.

And dark G&B with chili – it’s a taste sensation

molgrips
    Free Member

Where’s better than Starbucks on the typical High St then? Although, we’ve had this discussion before.. Apparently I’m worthless scum because I don’t spend my life scouring the backstreets for perfect coffee.

For me, it’s not a hobby, it’s just a drink.

Re chocolate, G+B 70% for me – any higher and it’s just not fun.

AdamW
    Free Member

Neros does a better coffee anyway. Starbucks do nice sticky buns but their coffee always tastes too acrid and burnt for me.

I’m trying to educate my taste buds with my new Nespresso, it is taking some time!

TheFlyingOx

I always find Starbucks coffee to have a faint note of “filtered through a half-full ashtray”.

Solo
    Free Member

I’m surrounded by Costas’ here at Warwick Uni, and a work colleague has got me drinking the stuff now.

So for me ?.

Its a medium Americano.

No milk, no sugar.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

For me, it’s not a hobby, it’s just a drink.

Exactly.

What did people obsess over before the coffee shop culture hit the UK?

molgrips
    Free Member

I hate Nero coffee.. far too er.. acrid and burnt tasting 🙂 I had one the other day and could barely finish it.

I prefer Costa espresso macchiato to Starbucks tho.

Solo
    Free Member

The only way dark chocolate can contribute to the diet is if you get the strong stuff and only eat a few tiny bits of it. Works for me

I have recently taken to the Dark chocolate.
    85 percent or higher.
    Just the odd square or two.
    Its a good thing.
    Sometimes taken with a glass of red wine.

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I like it with my espresso, but it’s also an incredible experience when a piece is chewed up with three mini marshmallows, of the American variety.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

G&B with spices and a glass of red, or an armangac.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Mol, try small independant cafes for better coffee. I can’t drink Starbucks now, and only have coffee from costa if its an emergency and i can’t get to anywhere better. I don’t like starbucks blends, and prefer to support local/small cafes than ‘take over the world’ starbucks. My favourite is coffee beans from square mile in london, or artisan roast which is my local up here. 🙂 But i do admit i am now a coffee snob 😥 😳

TSY, no he’s not been making me! It appealed more in the heat when we were away and i enjoyed it so i’m sticking with it now i’m home. Plus dark chocolate goes better with red wine!
    It was a mixture of measurements and pinchers – done twice to make sure it was accurate. Plus measuring my bones/height as well.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Awhiles, Camo – have a look behind the counter. There’s almost always a big industrial double filter machine back there. Often accompanied by a sign with ‘coffee of the day’ on it and some information.

but, i don’t want a massive bucket of filter coffee, i want a long black, that’s why i ask for one…

apologies, that reads like i’m being grumpy, perhaps i am a bit, i shall try to be nicer.

🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m trying to educate my taste buds with my new Nespresso…

Why not get a proper coffee maker and make decent coffee?

😈

molgrips
    Free Member

Mol, try small independant cafes for better coffee

I have, many times, and I’m usually disappointed. Or should I consider it better because it’s from a smaller business? 😉

Awhiles – is there some official standard drink nomenclature that we should all be aware of? Starbucks coffee only comes in a bucket if you ask for it, I’d have thought that was obvious.

Solo
    Free Member

G&B with spices and a glass of red

Hhmmm. I have seen those bars of spiced, dark chocolate, but haven’t tried any.

I once tried some milk chocolate with added chilli, but didn’t rate it.

Think I’ll pay more attention to the choices, when in Tesco today.

*Chuckles*

All the iDiet thread regulars, discussing coffee and chocolate.
    How decadent.
    😉

AdamW
    Free Member

Why not get a proper coffee maker and make decent coffee?

1. Cost
    2. Space
    3. Faff

I love a good coffee but Mr AdamW wouldn’t let me have a hulking great bean-to-cup machine in the kitchen, though I’m sure he’d enjoy the coffee. And while the pods can be expensive (getting a coffeeduck to reduce that) it does mean I can try loads of different ones without having to buy loads of bags. I do have a burr grinder (Krups £40 jobbie) though for when I do want it.

The ‘Aerocccino’ thing does make good froth though, even with skimmed milk.

ahwiles
    Free Member

to my (extremely) limited understanding, a long black starts of life as an espresso or 2, and then gets a dash of hot water.

it’s not a big drink, perhaps 100ml? – but that’s how i like it, anything more seems enormous!

brassneck

and prefer to support local/small cafes than ‘take over the world’ starbucks.

That’s fair enough, but a different argument to ‘Starbucks taste crap’.

Can’t say I can really taste much difference from one espresso to the next, doesn’t last long enough maybe.. or possibly smoking in my youth destroyed my taste buds.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Today I had… (coffee content)’ is closed to new replies.