Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Today, for the first time, I rode my bike without…….
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Stabilisers?

Clothes?

No, inner tubes.

Did a tubeless conversion last weekend, went on hols, came back and did my first ever tubeless ride. The tyres stayed up. I’m quite chuffed.

The End.

Rubber_Buccaneer

But you had a tube with you just in case didnt you?

Welcome to the 21st century BTW 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just make sure that you can get the valve lockring undone if you need to put a tube in. I couldn’t on one particular ride & ended up meeting two of Torridon Mountain Rescues team, in the dark, somewhere at the top of the descent to Annat.

Oh, & always carry a headtorch on long rides. 🙄

onandon
    Free Member

Welcome to 2009. Wait till to try 27.5 wheels and 1×11 gearing in 2026.

aracer
    Free Member

I think that was the last time I rode my mountain bike with inner tubes. Mind you I still have 26″ wheels, straight steerer and 3×9.

fathomer

After, I think, seven punctures in the the last three rides, all I can say is about bloody time 😀

rascal
    Free Member

Thank **** for that.
    6 punctures in 2 rides was getting a bit silly.
    You need a nice FS bike to put your wheels on now Dan…like mine 😉

robowns
    Free Member

Surely people don’t still use tubes?

aracer
    Free Member

I think that was something like my record for the 3 rides before I switched. Still yet to have as many incidents where I need to do anything other than spin the wheel to get the sealant in the right place since.

soundninjauk

Surely people don’t still use tubes?

<Awkwardly raises hand.>

dannyh
    Free Member

Yep, six pinch flats in two rides is what swung it.

I’m feeling well chipper at the moment as my cut and shut rear brake (I **** up the caliper on my SLX brake and replaced it with one from a cheapo brake) has also gone without any hitches.

All I need to do now is get my reverb cleaned out and serviced up to a point and it’s all roses.

I actually properly bottomed the rear rim today trying to bump jump some rocks and roots and hooked it up. No ‘boom hiss’, but I did put a few more PSI in the tyre as I built the wheel myself and am very protective of it.

And yes, I did carry a tube just in case. Ahem, two in fact, because I don’t have much faith in my own ability.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Carrying tubes in case = good
    Of course you did pack a puncture repair kit, just in case…

twonks

Been tubeless for years as I got fed up with punctures every ride. Thorns seem to be a year round thing in our woody areas.

Trouble with carrying tubes is should you ever need to use one, there could be 20 thorns in the tyre, and you’ll miss at least three when fitting tube.

I just carry a mini pump that takes cartridges, 3 cartridges and a tubeless repair kit.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Always carry one tube and one in each tyre, you’ve gone tubeless then. Next you’ll be trying out fully rubbered tyres from 1879.. just like the old days.

dannyh
    Free Member

eddiebaby – Member
    Carrying tubes in case = good
    Of course you did pack a puncture repair kit, just in case…

POSTED 46 MINUTES AGO #

Glueless Park Tool patches. To be honest, they are amongst the best products I have found. Last winter I had an “oh bollocks” moment as I put my spare tube in to find that it was pre-punctured. I found the magic little plastic square in my bag, unused for at least two years. I wasn’t optimistic, but a good bit of prep did the business and I was fine.

Anyway, I don’t need patches any more, I’m free, free, free.

BillOddie

Anyone wanna tell dannyh about holes/gashes in tubeless tyres and the kit needed to fix them?

dannyh
    Free Member

BillOddie – Member
    Anyone wanna tell dannyh about holes/gashes in tubeless tyres and the kit needed to fix them?

POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Tyre boot plus a tube in the short term (i.e. the actual ride) and then dental floss, a needle and some superglue later?

Not too much bother really(?)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I just carry a strip of sidewall (tyre boot?) & 2 tubes.
    & a repair kit.
    & a pump.
    & a headtorch.
    Etc.

Andy-R

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Just make sure that you can get the valve lockring undone if you need to put a tube in.

Two tyre levers, one each side of the lock ring. Squeeze ends together and turn. Hey presto!

asbrooks

Welcome to the future Danny!
    Also don’t forget to check the sealant from time to time. It does dry out as I found out on sticks pass last year.
    Mind you, the 10mm slit in the tyre didn’t help either, hence the dental floss stitch up.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Today, for the first time, I rode my bike without…….’ is closed to new replies.