Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Today, for the first time ever….
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

…I bought a pair of football boots. I’m 42(and a half) and I now own my very first pair of football boots.

I’ve just told the lads at work this and they looked at me with complete and utter disbelief. They couldn’t comprehend how any male in the West of Scotland could make into their forties without having ever owned a pair.
    Gotta admit, when it was actually pointed out to me I was a bit stunned meself.

I’ve never really liked football and only really ever played at school or the very rare game of five a sides with mates to make up numbers if they were short of bodies. Now, I’ve been volunteered to help out with my sons football team and need boots.

Anyone else made it into later life before doing something for the first time that society deems should rightly have happened years ago?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Never had a kebab
    never seen ET

Not sure either counts.

lunge

More importantly perchypanther, which boots? I’m hoping, as a man of 42 years, a classic Copa Mundial or Puma King was the option you took?

loddrik
    Free Member

Had some of these when I was a kid. Lovely soft leather on them.

andytherocketeer

I’ve never really liked football

Which is why I intend never to own a pair of football boots ever.

Odd buying a pair now for something you don’t really like ❓

ElShalimo

Lunge – you have impeccable taste

DezB
    Free Member

A few weeks ago I bought my first complete skateboard. I’m 51.

(I did own skateboards in my teens, but we used to make them)

😀

(The scooter isn’t mine)

perchypanther
    Free Member

More importantly perchypanther, which boots?

because red is ALWAYS better….and so is snakeskin… and they were on sale in Decathlon for 9 actual quids.

Odd buying a pair now for something you don’t really like

Don’t like football much. Do however like my two sons. Quite a lot. Was standing like a dick watching them train and play. Might as well do something useful whilst i’m there anyway.

lunge

No, no, no, no. No. They are simply not becoming of a man of your years.

These are my favourite pair of boots, I still have a pair in the garage that I can’t see me ever replacing. I present the humble Umbro Speciali.

theotherjonv

I had a pair of Puma Kings but later on in my career. My best ever pair, and probably still on an inflation adjusted scale the most expensive item of footwear i’ve ever bought* were my Hi-tec boots from the early 90’s – can’t find a decent picture other than the one of Big Nev sulking against a goalpost – but they too had big fold-over white tongues. And more importantly, five forefoot studs for extra purchase in the muddy goalmouths that were my home.

* for probably read definitely. I paid about the same for a pair of shoes that i got married in but that was 10 years later. And slightly more a week or two back for a pair of MW81 winter boots.

jimmy

I just gave my remaining pair to charity. Too many injuries, too hard to play at the same level as 10 years ago (when I had pace to rely on). I’m oot.

I do miss playing football though. Only started ‘seriously’ at 25 having always shied away as a kid. Turned out I was pretty good and so annoyed myself at not getting stuck in earlier.

dknwhy

My dad bought me some Gola boots when I was a kid which barely saw a football but were great for “ice skating” around the tiled kitchen floor.
    Second pair were Reebok Ryan Giggs.

chewkw
    Free Member

I always wanted the Addidas World Cup, Puma King but could not afford them so ended up with Patrick (similar brand to Kevin Keegan’s but cheapo version) … Later a pair of expensive Nike.

Conclusion, my cheapo plastic-ish Addidas Gerd Müller lasted me the longest while the Patrick and Nike needed gluing after sometime.

I still want a pair of Addidas World Cup or Puma King but I doubt I can last 45 mins running around.

Oh ya … for whatever reason I cannot play/kick with my left foot no matter how I try …

Trekster

I’ve just told the lads at work this and they looked at me with complete and utter disbelief. They couldn’t comprehend how any male in the West of Scotland could make into their forties without having ever owned a pair.

S.W.Scotland and never owned a pair, son is 35, grandson is 10 and none of them have owned a pair either.
    Can’t stand football!! Listening to all the “experts” in the mess room at work and watching grown “men” not speak to each other over who’s team won/lost is both sad and funny at the same time 😐

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Bought my first moisturiser*

*It is King Of Shaves shaving cream and I didn’t realise it was also a moisturiser until I used it this morning. Surprisingly nice to use.

Also I am getting a new one of these in September. My third unfortunately

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Today, for the first time ever….’ is closed to new replies.