Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Toasty base layers what's favourite?
  • oldfart

My Sub Zero has just bit the dust (zips gone ) looking to replace like for like I’m not sure they do the same one . Mine has a massive turtle neck that folds down , so who’s wearing what ? I don’t get on with Merino so that’s out but apart from that ?

Mackem

Decathlon. As good as anything I’ve used.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve had a Berghaus Argentium base layer ..short sleeve for at least 10 years..not bike specific ..but silky smooth against my gorilla like body ..couldnt tell you if they still make them though ..
    Edit ..it would appear that they do ..and sensibly priced
    http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Berghaus_Mens_Tech_Tee_SS_Crew_Neck_Top/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=181133&SelectedItem=657685&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnOzSBRDGARIsAL-mUB2GENC32XM77Rej2ryhyws16Q6lSNcmJnvnCM22Q3j9sAfJfwZnhuUaAtJwEALw_wcB

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ajantom

BAM tops/base layers.
    Bamboo based fabric, very soft and comfortable, wick well, and after 2 winters use are yet to get that ingrained sweaty smell.

ton

icebreaker here. i get proper cold nowadays.

used to be helly hanson.

downhillfast
    Free Member

My favourite is the Helly Hansen I’ve had for about 10 years 😆

Helly Hansen base layer

Wally

Decathlon merino long arm base layer from mountaineering section.

km79
    Free Member

downhillfast – Member

My favourite is the Helly Hansen I’ve had for about 10 years

Helly Hansen base layer This all year round.

hatter

my absolute favs remain my 3 truly ancient Howies merino jobbies but if you must avoid wool then under armour Coldgear baselayers are very toasty and wick well.

matt_outandabout

Helly Hansen Warm hybrid merino/synthetic for best warmth balance.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I bought a Craft Active Extreme 2.0 for cold days (<5’C). To be honest, it’s not quite warm enough. So have moved back to a cheap merino one from TK Max.

senorj

I really like the endura ba ba merino tops for 0-10 degrees. Also have a helly Hansen merino mix that is too hot for me above 2or3degrees !

P20

Odlo. Fabulous when it’s cold.

CraigW
    Free Member

Mountain Warehouse have synthetic base layers for £10. Bit warmer than a Helly Hansen Dry anyway.
    https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/base-layers/mens-thermal-tops/talus-ls-zip-neck-top-p13066.aspx/unboxed%20black/

Merak

HH hum to high heaven. Really really bad.
    Merino is what you want, DHB or (spits) On One.

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve got some Odlo ones from a few years ago that are ace. By far the best I’ve used and I’ve got a lot of base layers.

Spin
    Free Member

Merino is what you want

Did you and all the other recommending merino not read the op? “I don’t get on with Merino so that’s out”

Merino is fine until you start to sweat or get wet.

jonnyboi

There’s differing quality of merino though? Scratchy stuff at the cheaper end possibly?

Merak

Why don’t you ‘get on’ with Merino?

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve tried the expensive ones and the cheap ones and they’re all the same with regards to managing sweat. They just soak it up and take forever to dry. If you’re a sweaty bugger or use it in wet conditions then I think synthetic is much better.

LeeW

I have an Endura BaaBaa which is about 5 years old, it’s been a great bit of kit.

joebristol

I’m still using a Nike pro combat long sleeve compression base layer that I’ve had about 10 years – just keeps going / washes ok / warm enough without being too warm.

Around November sort of time I got an under armour compression base layer that’s a little bit thicker than the nike one. It’s not quite as fitted but I still like that one too.

Both wick ok and dry quickly.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I reckon the problem with non-merino base layers is that they don’t have the same thickness (hence insulation). That’s my theory based on the handful of base layers in my drawer.

Does a merino mix give the best of both worlds?

malgrey
    Free Member

I’m the same with Merino, only use it for nice snuggliness in cold camps/bothies, just don’t find it good enough for highly active work.

My favourite baselayers are old Patagonia Capilene tops and bottoms which I was lucky enough to buy as ex-samples at bugger all price. Ten years later and they’re still wicking well, keeping the heat when needed, and non-smelly. Sadly they don’t use the same fabric now, but I would imagine they’re still really really good. But expensive!

My next favourites are Alpkit Laika. Nice and warm, and very hardwearing, though they don’t wick quite as quickly as the Patagucci, and take a bit longer to dry. Cut and fit is excellent, especially the arms.

I have numerous Decathlon wicking T’s, all excellent value, and one long sleeve one which is good for really active stuff but not as warm as the others.

I had an Odlo top, don’t know where its gone, but it was good.

dudeofdoom

Super Natural t shirts for me.

Blend of merino an polyester which makes it a tad more hard wearing than merino
    but still doesn’t smell.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I have an Endura Ba Ba..which I’ve worn a few times only ..cant stand it as it’s too ” itchy” …maybe something to do with too much body hair..?

Merak

Spin – Member
    I’ve tried the expensive ones and the cheap ones and they’re all the same with regards to managing sweat. They just soak it up and take forever to dry. If you’re a sweaty bugger or use it in wet conditions then I think synthetic is much better.

Listen to us, we know what we are talking about. Your synthetics will do exactly the same but stink. You’ll be able to use your Merino day after day without washing so the environment wins. It’s a no brainer! Come on in, the water is lovely and warm. And it doesn’t smell.

malgrey
    Free Member

I also find Merino simply doesn’t last, it ends up with holes in it, is it just me and a moth infested flat or something (never seen moths and they don’t eat my other wool stuff!). My synthetics last for many years. They don’t stink if you buy the stuff with some sort of pong inhibitor in it (silver, bamboo etc).

BadlyWiredDog

The Brynje of Norway mesh stuff is brilliant – okay, it looks and works like an old school string vest, but it’s deceptively warm in use, wicks and dries super fast and, if you need to vent, to lose heat, it dumps warmth really quickly. It has the downside that you can’t really strip down in the pub or caff without looking like a Right Said Fred wannabe, but functionally it’s brilliant.

Personally I find merino just gets soggy. Rab’s polyester/merino mix is a decent compromise and the Arc’teryx synthetic ones perform really well but do end up gradually losing their odour resistance ime.

If I want extra warmth under a shell these days, I just use a very light fleece mid-layer. Haglofs did a LIM one that weighs nowt, but adds enough insulation for me when it gets really cold. Packs super small too.

Marin
    Free Member

Wore super cheap Aldi one on Saturday which was fine but I’m pretty hot!

scotroutes

Merino is useless once it’s damp. It holds on to moisture too much and also takes ages to dry. If you exercise with it then stop for a while in chilly conditions you will freeze. I’m happy with merino Tees for casual wear, not for sports.

Some of the merino/synthetic mixes are good. I still have a Ground Effect Submerino in use that must be 10 years old.

Those suggesting all synthetic tops get smelly must be living in the 90s. And trust me – merino wearers can stink just as badly 🙂

Merak

How very dare you!

FOG

Patagonia capilene . Too expensive at list but is often available in sales although often in weird colours. It’s the one baselayer that doesn’t give me soggy back syndrome.
    It does last- I have a long sleeve Cap 2 that is fifteen years old and is still fine despite being worn 2-3 times a week for about six months of the year

vorlich
    Free Member

Rab Powerstretch for sub zero conditions. I’ve got a ton of base layers, and this one is my favourite for proper winter conditions.

tomd
    Free Member

Merino sucks for high energy or wet stuff. It’s rotten, terrible, ineffective. I’ve got / had all manner from the cheap Aldi to expensive icebreaker stuff. It’s nice for stuff that’s not very sweaty or wet.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Merino sucks for high energy or wet stuff. It’s rotten, terrible, ineffective. I’ve got / had all manner from the cheap Aldi to expensive icebreaker stuff. It’s nice for stuff that’s not very sweaty or wet.

+1

Craft synthetic here. Beats merino in every way involving exercise.

slowster
    Free Member

The Brynje of Norway mesh stuff is brilliant – okay, it looks and works like an old school string vest, but it’s deceptively warm in use, wicks and dries super fast and, if you need to vent, to lose heat, it dumps warmth really quickly. It has the downside that you can’t really strip down in the pub or caff without looking like a Right Said Fred wannabe, but functionally it’s brilliant.

Personally I find merino just gets soggy.

For anyone who finds that merino does not work well for them, I would suggest wearing a Brynje synthetic mesh baselayer underneath the merino top. Because the mesh is synthetic and holds the merino away from the skin, you shouldn’t get the unpleasant and chilling feel of heavily sweat saturated wool against the skin, but you do get the benefit of wool’s superior insulation performance. Brynje themselves make combined mesh and merino double layer baselayers to exploit the different properties of the two fabrics.

Even some synthetic baselayers can feel clammy when saturated with sweat, and a mesh baselayer underneath them should similarly improve their performance, i.e both feeling drier because only the synthetic mesh is in contact with the skin and warmer because air is trapped in the mesh gaps between the skin and outer baselayer.

scotroutes

Surely, if you wear mesh under it, it’s no longer a base layer…..

km79
    Free Member

I’m another one who thinks merino is pish for an active baselayer. Holds onto moisture and you get a chill. Forever stitching up the holes in the bloody things as well. Synthetic baselayers FTW!

Smelly Hellies aren’t as smelly as they used to be either. Wash them in Halo sports wash and they are fine.

singletrackmind

I have a thick synthetic poly /elastine LS top from Lidl or Aldi. Its my ‘go to ‘ top when its really cold. Its way thicker than all my other base layers but still wicks very well and retains alot of heat
    Had for 3 years now and its not changed shape or gone smelly afaik
    The only fail with it is the neckline, its abit too open so you need a jersey or jacket with high collar , or buff/snood to cover the gap

I have several base layers with turtle necks and shitty zippers ,but these are approx 1/4 of the thickness of me Aldi one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Toasty base layers what's favourite?’ is closed to new replies.