Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • To veggie is to suffer
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Filling in registration forms for Jr Stoners.

Well I can’t fault their point of view 🙂

Speshpaul

oh the horror………

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

well they are suffering more than the vegans …

Stoner
    Free Member

those diabetics are just milking it for sympathy, sweet tea and biscuits

Harry_the_Spider

My daughter is both vegetarian and Type 1 Diabetic. I wouldn’t say that either of them causes her to suffer.

The only person suffering in the posted example is the local authority who are suffering from having idiots in whichever department generated that form.

bikebouy
    Free Member

FFS!

Idiots 🙄

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Honestly Stoner, it tends to be the people around vegetarians who suffer.

Nothing puts me off my meal more than seeing some mopey, ropey, pale looking veggie pretending to enjoy their hummus and cucumber while I tuck in to a steak.

GregMay
    Free Member

makecoldplayhistory – Member
    Honestly Stoner, it tends to be the people around vegetarians who suffer.

Nothing puts me off my meal more than seeing some mopey, ropey, pale looking veggie pretending to enjoy their hummus and cucumber while I tuck in to a steak.

Interesting, nothing makes me happier than watching someone tuck into a plate of fat knowing they’ll have higher cholesterol than I ever will. And probably die far sooner.
    Usually while I’m eating a vegan dhal with falafal and a nice beer while showing off my tan lines.

Cougar

I was once in a rural pub restaurant type place, not a single thing on the menu that wasn’t meaty. I asked the landlady about it, she looked puzzled so I added, “I’m vegetarian.” She looked at me sadly and went “oh, I am sorry…!”

freeagent
    Free Member

My Daughter is a Coeliac – she suffers when the school feed her wheat/let her handle play doh/etc.

martinhutch

I’m sure vegetarian and vegan kids will be suffering when they get their ‘option’ stuck in front of them.

spud-face

mopey, ropey, pale looking veggie

Shouldn’t the forum auto-montage a selection of midlandtrailquestsgraham’s (or whatever the hell he’s called) lairy-trousered beefcake beancake photos whenever this kind of thing happens?

tomd
    Free Member

Interesting, nothing makes me happier than watching someone tuck into a plate of fat knowing they’ll have higher cholesterol than I ever will. And probably die far sooner.
    Usually while I’m eating a vegan dhal with falafal and a nice beer while showing off my tan lines.

That’s the big difference. The dude eating the steak is probably thinking “wow this steak is good, and the cool beer tops it off a treat”

You’re sitting there feeling smug, watching another man eat and getting kicks out of his heightened cholesterol. That is the thing which makes you most happy. Have a look at yourself.

Stoner
    Free Member

woah, everybody, step away from the Tofu/Steak Tartare.

Fishing expedition over. Trolling post is obvious troll….I shall report myself to Cougar 😉

ransos
    Free Member

And the link between dietary fat and cholesterol is?

bruneep

None as I keep fooling myself……hmm cheese

brassneck

I’m a veggie and fat as a barrel. Chips are generally vegetarian you know.

That’s the assumption of meat eaters at work right there. That we are somehow birch twigging ourselves with our diet. Fact is I’d rather have the dhal and falafel any day which makes it pretty easy to the point I don’t even think about it. No, not even bacon cooking. Really.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Here’s the plan – you two get a room while the rest of us enjoy whatever the fuuu we like to eat! You can stereotype yourselves to death over a shared menu of pan-fried prejudice, coddled confirmation bias and sizzlng sociopathy served on a slate 😉

joepose
    Free Member

I was veggie for over a year made me poorly – not able to poo 🙁
    Apparently we need fat in our diet its too much sugar that’s the issue.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Here’s the plan – you two get a room while the rest of us enjoy whatever the fuuu we like to eat! You can stereotype yourselves to death over a shared menu of pan-fried prejudice, coddled confirmation bias and sizzlng sociopathy served on a slate

😀

wallop

^ this

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Even if you choose the fattiest cut of steak then not much more than 10% is fat, and most people don’t eat the big edge of fat which probably makes up the majority of that. So actually by tucking into a nice juicy steak you’re probably not eating that much fat. You’re probably adding more with the mouthwateringly buttery Béarnaise sauce accompanying it. I’ve met my fair share of fat veggies so don’t think for a second that a veggie diet automatically equals a healthy diet.

But each to their own. I know a fair few people afflicted with vegetarianism, but I never hold that against them!

ninfan
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvdf6e8birI[/video]

slowoldgit
    Free Member

… somewhere in Glasgow?

nickc

Eat meat or don’t. Make a choice, shut the **** up about it

bigjim

Eat meat or don’t. Make a choice, shut the **** up about it

ftfy

Harry_the_Spider

I was veggie for over a year made me poorly – not able to poo

Then you were a shit cook.

I’m a veggie and fat as a barrel. Chips are generally vegetarian you know.

That’s the assumption of meat eaters at work right there. That we are somehow birch twigging ourselves with our diet. Fact is I’d rather have the dhal and falafel any day which makes it pretty easy to the point I don’t even think about it. No, not even bacon cooking. Really.
    Bang on. Eat what you want.

iolo
    Free Member

I was in a restaurant in Hungary last month and mrs iolo, being vegetarian, ordered some ravioli type pasta dish – marked as veggie on the menu in Hungarian, German and English. She cut into it and there were pieces of meat inside. When the manager was told we were informed the chef had added pork as he thought it might add some flavour.

Northwind

Harry_the_Spider – Member

My daughter is both vegetarian and Type 1 Diabetic. I wouldn’t say that either of them causes her to suffer.

I’m T1, it’s totally correct to say we suffer from it- it doesn’t have to make you miserable or anything, it just means experiencing something negative. Which it bloody is.

See also: Coeliac.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

She cut into it and there were pieces of meat inside. When the manager was told we were informed the chef had added pork as he thought it might add some flavour.

Good work! 😆

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

freeagent – Member
    My Daughter is a Coeliac – she suffers when the school feed her wheat/let her handle play doh/etc.

That’s quite extreme cieliacness (word?) isn’t it? The handling of playdough, I mean.

As far as the school letting her eat wheat goes, I’d be in there tearing strips off whoever allows it to happen.

At my school, there’s a list of children and dietary requirements. These are coded red, yellow, green in order of severity. For example, the Hindu boy who has to be told almost daily to put the beef back (he’s 12) is a green.

Red level, have food on their own plate named and clingfilmed for them.

spooky_b329

Love a good steak (venison in the fridge for tonight, never had that outside a restaurant) but equally I also look forward to eating out at a decent veggie place.

Generally we are very shortsighted when we imagine what the plate will look/taste like without meat/fish as the centrepiece. How many ‘steak eaters’ on here ever give any serious consideration to the veggie section in the menu?

Harry_the_Spider

I’m T1, it’s totally correct to say we suffer from it- it doesn’t have to make you miserable or anything, it just means experiencing something negative. Which it bloody is.

Fair enough. My point was that “suffer” isn’t the right wording on the form. She “is” T1, she “is” vegetarian. Other kids don’t eat pork. They don’t “suffer” from not eating pork.

One thing that really bugged when she was diagnosed was the “awww, poor little you” mentality that some people adopted. She has it, deal with it, manage the condition, but don’t bracket her as a “sufferer” along with the veggies, Hindus and the wheat intolerant.

Our school are excellent and she eats her school dinners along with all of the other 5 year olds. The staff know the carb values of everything on the menu and they give the insulin accordingly. No big deal, no drama, no suffering.

walleater

I’m a vegan these days and my farts and poos haven’t changed at all!

As for ‘eat what you want’ – sure, but it would be awesome if people educated themselves on the miserable lives they are causing to others by their lifestyle choice. By all means carry on, but gloating about it is a bit sad IMHO.

piemonster

Here’s the plan – you two get a room while the rest of us enjoy whatever the fuuu we like to eat! You can stereotype yourselves to death over a shared menu of pan-fried prejudice, coddled confirmation bias and sizzlng sociopathy served on a slate

😀 liked

piemonster

I was veggie for over a year made me poorly – not able to poo
    Apparently we need fat in our diet its too much sugar that’s the issue.

If your ever unfortunate enough for me to stay at your house. You will soon realise that your failure to crap is not down to lack of meat in diet.

Heaven **** help you if we have a curry!!!!! Good god, that even disgusts myself.

You are aware that there are other sources of fat aside from Peppa and co?

Cougar

+1.

There are, of course, “denial” veggies. The ones who don’t eat meat apart from fish and chicken and whatever other exclusion clauses they come up with, and go to slavering pieces at the first whiff of a bacon butty. They’re probably the ones who pop up on Internet forums a couple of years later going “oh, I tried being veggie for a while and it made me ill” and concluding that because they suddenly cut out most of their diet on a whim one day and lived off lettuce for six months, all vegetarians must pasty, miserable and malnourished. These are the ones that all the confirmed omnivores hold up as a straw man to assert their superiority. And frankly, I don’t blame them.

There are also others who don’t do this, who manage to not just survive but thrive on a vegetarian diet. And there are plenty of others in between, it’s more of a spectrum than a black-or-white state.

Personally I find the smell of bacon revolting, I’m a far cry away from “punishing myself” by not eating the stuff. Someone going “ah, but you’d love a bacon butty really, wouldn’t you” is as nonsensical to me as it would if everyone else routinely ate turds and were trying to tempt me with a dog egg sandwich.

Generally we are very shortsighted when we imagine what the plate will look/taste like without meat/fish as the centrepiece. How many ‘steak eaters’ on here ever give any serious consideration to the veggie section in the menu?

Yeah, I’ve never really understood that. I get that some – most? – people like meat, but don’t really understand why it has to be a mandatory component every time they eat. A friend of mine, let’s call him Dave (cos that’s his name), will sometimes order the veggie “option” on a menu. He’s not vegetarian, just orders what he fancies at the time, and the number of “oh, I didn’t know you were veggie?” – “I’m not” – “but, then, why…?” conversations he’s had over the years is quite staggering.

Northwind

Harry_the_Spider – Member

Fair enough. My point was that “suffer” isn’t the right wording on the form. She “is” T1, she “is” vegetarian. Other kids don’t eat pork. They don’t “suffer” from not eating pork.

The vege thing is definitely wrong, I guess that’s the point of the thread… but the actual medical ailments part is correct. I know some people like to seek out neutral terms and pretend like it’s not a negative thing but it’s pretty silly, you can’t make a chronic disease better by agonising over the wording, better to be honest that it sucks and get on with it. IMO! 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

A friend of mine, let’s call him Dave (cos that’s his name), will sometimes order the veggie “option”

Hmmmmm, veggie-dish/meat-eating sockpuppet ‘Dave’ eh? Riiiight 😉

Cougar

The vege thing is definitely wrong, I guess that’s the point of the thread… but the actual medical ailments part is correct.

It’s basically just a badly worded letter. Maybe it initially contained ailments, then someone came along later and added other dietary requirements into the list without thinking / reading correctly? It’s arguably mildly offensive but I’d be surprised if it was intentionally offensive. I’d imagine that a quick email to its source would get it changed in future copies.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘To veggie is to suffer’ is closed to new replies.