Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • To those riders on the N Downs today…
  • gee
    Free Member

…on skill compensator bikes in full body armour. Stop riding downhill sat down, not moving your body at all and barely pedalling. It’s just lazy and slow. Sell the skill compensator, buy a hardtail and practice!!!

That said, there were some bloody fast people at the front of one particular group. Pretty good fun watching them blast down the trail.

End of rant.

GB

Lummox

Really? You’re that bothered by others that you decided to write a post about it?

I’d bet they havent given the judgemental hardtail rider watching them enjoying themselves a second thought?

Might be something in that

gee
    Free Member

Probably. I just thought it was interesting that you’d choose to spend £4k+ on a lovely bike to get into the sport and not spend a little bit on skills training…? Or buy a bike that would teach you some bike handling.

Just an observation. The only reason I was watching the group was that the guys at the front were really going for it and it was cool to watch people doing the jumps and really throwing the bike around the corners.

singlespeedstu

Stop riding downhill sat down, not moving your body at all and barely pedalling.

Did they get a lift to the top of the descent too? 😆

scaredypants

I believe “PortlyAllMountain” is the new big thing

(and I’m at the vanguard of this particular phenomenon 8) )

sputnik
    Free Member

Whereabouts was this? ( out of curiosity )

singletrackmind

I think you’ll find all that pedalling is really , really hard work .
    Think of it as a gravity sport , abit like skiing .
    Why waste all that energy and get yourself all hot and bothered .
    Going faster means the run is over sooner too .. best to take it easy and make it last a little longer .

gee
    Free Member

On the “MBR” trail I think it’s called. Really rooty, full of braking bumps and quite rocky by N Downs standards. Or nice and smooth if you have a 6″ travel bike and just sit down.

Portlyallmountain… genius.

GB

allthepies
    Free Member

Whereabouts was this? ( out of curiosity )

Riding in the North Downs today were we ? 🙂

sputnik
    Free Member

Wasn’t me , honest! Wish it was though, but family birthday commitments kept me from mincing about on the North Downs today 😛
    Got the day off tomorrow and I’m spending it on my bike

gee
    Free Member

It was amazing top there today – like June not Feb. Was very impressed with the work done on the trails on Pitch – many new berms etc built. Also the MRB/Evian has had some work done. Whoever did this – a huge thank you!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Gee, see my thread about incredibly clean bikes, do you think there’s a correlation? I was on Pitch today (had a fantastic time on an, ahem, grubby hardtail).

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Stop riding downhill sat down, not moving your body at all and barely pedalling. It’s just lazy and slow. Sell the skill compensator, buy a hardtail and practice!!!

But this is all from your belief that they wish to aspire and be better than they are, what if they’re happy?

gee
    Free Member

I reckon you could be onto something there LOL

GSuperstar – true. Live and let live…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve been riding in the SH for 5 years and I hardly ever get mixed up with other riders, faster or slower not even on the most popular trails. Gee there are plenty of trails for everyone, why not search out some new stuff?

A lot of the SH trails are great fun on a hardtail, there is also plenty of stuff you want a better bike for. I rode with a group on Wednesday and one of the good riders attempted something he’d not done for 2 years since his friend broke his neck at the same spot. He said he wouldn’t have attempted it on his Zesty, we was riding his Orange Alpine.

All this having been said money and time spent on coaching/training will yield greater results than fancy bike kit.

joolsburger
    Free Member

The most important thing is did they have plenty of pork and leek slices at the peaslake shop? Whenever I’ve had a nice seated run down Barrys or Supernova on my 6 inch travel skill compensator it’s very important that I have a nice slice to keep my enegery levels up for the push up to the top of Holmbury.

jimification
    Free Member

It is funny up there sometimes…There are whole posse’s of guys who look like they’ve decided to try MTBing this weekend and have come straight from the “downhill outfitters” in central London.

As long as they’re on two wheels, though it’s all good really 😀

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Perhaps you should get a map before having another moan, Holmbury/Pitch/Winterfold is not part of the North Downs…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jimification – Mr Ben 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘To those riders on the N Downs today…’ is closed to new replies.