Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • To the utter twunt riding a Turner at Cannock today….
  • seanodav
    Free Member

surely thats just a ramp for wheelchair access? 😕

Gary_C

on your over-specced skill-compensator (BTW I also ride a Turner)

LOL

chakaping
    Free Member

There seemed to be more than the usual number of idiots (on over-spec’ced skill compensators) and slow riders but you have to accept this when you go to such a popular place. Cafe area was full of posers and ‘weekend warriors’ too

This comment says more about you than the riders at cannock tbh.

Aren’t they just people who are relatively new to mountain biking?

HermanShake
    Free Member

A twunt is a twunt, that drop is a tree root and it’s frustrating when someone’s rudeness gets to you. I think he made a spectacle of himself anyway if you think about it, especially if he couldn’t get down that on his blingcycle.

It’s only riding bicycles though 😀 don’t let it get to you. I was at work today, you were lucky to be out!

grum
    Free Member

Slagging off ‘over-spec’ced skill compensators’, ‘posers’, ‘weekend warriors’, getting into arguments – isn’t this supposed to be fun?

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you go to a busy trail centre at a weekend then surely you should expect a lot of traffic on the trails. It is inevitable that on the trickier sections there will be more traffic and hence bottlenecks. Even if there is a crowd blocking your way is it not too difficult to stop, ask for a free route through, then continue. If you want empty trails either go in the week or don’t go riding at busy trail centres.

walleater

PQ still has that Turner??

mamadirt
    Free Member

This thread needs lightening up I reckon. Check out the little owls on this page 😀 awwwwww! (oh, and there is a pic of the drop too).

studuck
    Free Member

Thanks “st” – we had a great ride, and yes Mel was testing a clown bike! She quite liked it too……

I don’t know if PQ still has that Turner – can’t imagine him riding it at the Chase though 🙂

float
    Free Member

oh damn, werewolf ‘drop’ has been castrated since i last rode it! over a year ago now that was. good times.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

This thread needs lightening up I reckon. Check out the little owls on this page awwwwww!

She’s right you know. Chill, and check pon:

(Is even more in love with Mamadirt. 😳 )

colournoise

As I said, not ridden Cannock but every time the Werewolf Drop comes up on a thread here I watch the vids and can never see what the fuss is. Looks like an easily rollable 3′-4′ drop between trees with a turn at the bottom?

Aware that vids always smooth things out but that never looks as tech as the ditch drop at my local trail which looks equally tame on camera (5m40s ish on this vid – Scartree Trail – which doesn’t have the trees but is a steep 6′ drop into a wheel sized ditch bottom with an equally steep 4′ climb out).

Anyways, if you need to stop to assess a bit of the trail, do it from the side. If you get held up and need to dodge past folk on the trail who have stopped to assess something, do it with good grace as you were that inexperienced once too.

Be nice out there.

slainte 😀 rob

_tom_
    Free Member

It’s not really a drop or hard, it’s just awkward because there are fairly tight trees and it has a right hander straight after it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This is why I barely ride my mtb anymore. The sport has gone to shit. Too many stuck up ponces on flash bikes like the guy you mention in your post. And also far to many mincers at trail centres who cant ride for toffee.

If you’re going to mince about, do it where its aceptable – Out on a cold moor or fell side somewhere, thats what I do. Dont come to a trail centre all geared up, then fanny about on piss easy obstacles.

I was at innerleithen the other week and there was a group of about 15 lads with decent looknig trail bikes fannying around on the caddon bank drop section. WTF are you doing you idiots! Just ride off the **** things, you’re supposed to be mountain bikers, those are 3 foot high drops! Ride em or **** off and get a road bike, the image of the sport doesnt need this!!!!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

seanodav – Member
    surely thats just a ramp for wheelchair access?

😆

donsimon
    Free Member

I was at innerleithen the other week and there was a group of about 15 lads with decent looknig trail bikes fannying around on the caddon bank drop section. WTF are you doing you idiots! Just ride off the **** things, you’re supposed to be mountain bikers, those are 3 foot high drops! Ride em or **** off and get a road bike, the image of the sport doesnt need this!!!!

I concur.

mboy
    Free Member

Rode the Monkey today for the first time in months, and got to be said there was a fair amount of angry wannabe quick boys (who really weren’t all that quick) today, out to prove a point to nobody who gives a shit!

We had to stop on the trail, just before the entrance to the new black section (which I was impressed with, very technical for a UK trail centre, more of this please!) as some people had stopped on the trail just in front of us. No problem, it’s not a race. So we just waited til they cleared off, only just as we were about to mount up, so cock on an Ellsworth came flying up behind us, moaned about us being in the way, then swore at us as he went past (not all that quickly I might add) for holding him up!

Note to people like man on Ellsworth and Turner guy above… It’s a trail centre, other people are there to ride at their own pace too, it’s not a race! If someone slower than you is in front, either wait til a convenient place to pass them safely, or stop and chill out for 2 minutes to give yourself some space to ride the next bit at your chosen speed. Next person that swears at me for being in the way (not my fault again as stated, but beside the point) and holding him up will get a thump… That’s not a threat, that’s a promise!

But on the whole, enjoyable day had by all, and as per usual most people were friendly and just out enjoying riding their bikes at their own pace.

And note to postierich, 29ers make sense at Cannock now due to the size of the braking bumps… In fact, scratch that, a 36er would make more sense at Cannock now due to the braking bumps!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was out riding at the weekend (at least until I injured myself). I was at a busy trail centre with loads of people around. I saw people getting in my way, I saw me getting in others way. What’s more, I saw people enjoying themselves and enjoying the land on bikes. I saw people with more and less skill than me, on better and worse bikes than me. But they were all pretty much enjoying themselves, me too.

Maybe I’m having a happy day, but I don’t see all the anger and anguish here – a bike’s a bike, a trail’s a trail, on a weekend things get busy and people do odd things – get over it.

_tom_
    Free Member

Are the new black bits on the monkey easy to spot? Hopefully going for a ride there on Tuesday 🙂

mildred

One thing that strikes me about this post and a few others lately is there seems to be some kind of odd inverted snobbery whereby anyone on a nice shiny new bike is automatically an over-biked weekend warrior etc.

Why?

What makes this person more of an idiot than if he was on a shit-heap? And so what if his skills don’t match his bike’s potential? Really, so what? Why does it bother so many people?

I’m now a slightly overweight 40 year old who rides a Nicolai helius FR to work. At the end of my working week you might see me in the woods of Nottingham moving very slowly indeed on a piss easy section of trail. Does this make me an overbiked idiot? Or could it be that I’ve just finished a 12 hour night shift and I’m struggling to stay upright on currently my only bike, on my way home?

These threads are just a waste of time and I feel unclean for contributing. Folk, live and let live – it really doesn’t matter.

DrP

TO be fair, I encounter tougher obstacles getting my bike out of the garage…
    That’s a roll in, not really a drop – wheels never need to leave the ground!

DrP

rOcKeTdOg

the next person that swears at me for being in the way (not my ,fault again as stated, but beside the point) and holding him up will get a thump… That’s not a threat !that’s a promise

And how is violence gonna improve things, blimey there are some angry misguided people out there. How is two riders punching each other over a bit of trail going to improve the image of our sport I think some of us need to chill out a bit it’s supposed to be fun!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Nah, some people deserve a smack, if more of that went on instead of whinging on the Internet, the world would be a better place.

Schweiz
    Free Member

This thread makes me so happy to live outside the UK.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Conversely, it makes me proud to be British!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Not sure when leisure riding became a competition. There was a time that if you met someone on a bike you’d be pleased that they were having as much fun as you were. If they were on a fancy bike that you’d only ever seen in magazines you’d cast it admiring glances and maybe have a chat about it. If they were on a singlespeed or a frame made from plumbing pipes you’d be impressed by their steely resolve at tackling the trail. Helmet, no helmet, gears, singlespeed, lycra, baggies or trackie bottoms, team jersey or t-shirt, none of it matters, we’re all out riding bikes and that is supposed to be fun.

Mugboo

Only been there once.

I think the problem was my fashionable 960mm bars, someone needs to chop down all the trees while they are tarmacing over the braking bumps! 😆

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It became a competition when it became fashionable and a lifestyle choice for many, unfortunately.

jedi

who cares, it’s riding bikes not war.

jameso

I’m amused by that ‘drop’ ) I was expecting a couple of foot drop down onto a transition.

rOcKeTdOg

muppetWrangler – Member
    Not sure when leisure riding became a competition. There was a time that if you met someone on a bike you’d be pleased that they were having as much fun as you were. If they were on a fancy bike that you’d only ever seen in magazines you’d cast it admiring glances and maybe have a chat about it. If they were on a singlespeed or a frame made from plumbing pipes you’d be impressed by their steely resolve at tackling the trail. Helmet, no helmet, gears, singlespeed, lycra, baggies or trackie bottoms, team jersey or t-shirt, none of it matters, we’re all out riding bikes and that is supposed to be fun.

this

bobbyspangles

dont worry, we are building a chicken run around the ‘drop’ and beefing up the orignal. This should stop the bottle necking that occurs at this point in the trail.

feel free to pop down on a sunday-10am-to pick up a spade.

wwaswas

Are there any recorded incidents of actual fights breaking out due to perceived trail blocking?

If so then it’s no wonder people always seem over padded when I see trailcentre photos 😉

*strikes cannock off list of places to ride*

wrecker
    Free Member

This is why I barely ride my mtb anymore. The sport has gone to shit.

Just sell it. Leave mountain biking alone and delete your STW account.
    MTBing doesn’t need people with you kind of attitude, it’s bad for the image of the sport.

donsimon
    Free Member

who cares, it’s riding bikes not war.

… Or double glazing… 😆

We had to stop on the trail, just before the entrance to the new black section (which I was impressed with, very technical for a UK trail centre, more of this please!) as some people had stopped on the trail just in front of us. No problem, it’s not a race. So we just waited til they cleared off, only just as we were about to mount up, so cock on an Ellsworth came flying up behind us, moaned about us being in the way, then swore at us as he went past (not all that quickly I might add) for holding him up!

How am I supposed to know that you’re just waiting for someone ahead to move on as opposed to having a fag break?

If you’re sat either side of the trail, I’ll ride right through you with a cheery hello, maybe I’ll catch up a group on the trail, sit behind them and then pass if/when I can. Nobody has more or less right to be there than me, as I can’t dictate to them, you can’t dictate to me.

jedi

double glazing??

donsimon
    Free Member

Double glazing.
    I’m not proud. 😳
    😆

jedi

has no idea and walks off shaking head………………..

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

This is why I barely ride my mtb anymore. The sport has gone to shit. Too many stuck up ponces on flash bikes like the guy you mention in your post. And also far to many mincers at trail centres who cant ride for toffee.

Oh the irony….

Good going though, in a few sentences you accuse people of being stuck up ponces then being a complete stuck up ponce yourself. Go girlfriend!

donsimon
    Free Member

has no idea and walks off shaking head………………..

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘To the utter twunt riding a Turner at Cannock today….’ is closed to new replies.