Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • To test ride or not?
  • flyingvee
    Free Member

Hello.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I’m new round here (go easy) but not totally new to the game. So </span>just<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> how important is test riding a new bike before you buy? </span>

Had a fine plan, to get out to a few demos and test ride as many as possible over the winter /spring. As much as trying specific bikes I was hoping to get a flavour of the variety of modern trail bikes, normal/plus tire, 27.5/29, long travel/short, slackness etc etc. Then I went and busted my Achilles last autumn which screwed that plan and I’m only just back to gentle riding and a way off pedalling in anger.

I’ve had a scout around but struggling to find any demo days with a variety of bike in the coming weeks. I can get to S<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>winley/Forest of Dean to sample bird and orange but would rather get a few manufacturers side by side. If I’m patient (not feeling that way tbh) there’s Steel is Real in October and there’s the malvern classics this weekend too if i pull my finger out.</span>

I’m in the Bristol area if anyone has any suggestions.

Garry_Lager

Personally I wouldn’t bother with any serious effort to test-ride as it just raises more questions than it answers, you’ll be down the rabbit-hole of meaningless consumerist nonsense before you know it. The anxiety of empty indecision.

I’m not advocating any arlarse stw they’re all just bikes, man, just go ride bolloxology, either, and certainly throwing a leg over it is important. Just think a simpler approach is better then the circus of test-riding bikes through the woods and inventing contrived points of comparison. Better to keep it real, e.g.

Is this bike awesome? Have you researched it and is it highly regarded by people with miles under their belts?

Are you passionate about it, do you look at it and it makes you want to go ride?

Can you ride it round the shop car park without any red flags, and it basically fits? First impressions mean a lot with bikes – Damn this feels short, or this is way heavier than I expected it to feel, you need to heed that.

Can I afford it.

If the you can answer yes to all of those (‘maybe’ will do for the last one), then just buy it and get the show on the road. We’re adaptable creatures and no bike feels 100% perfect right out of the box.

Poopscoop

Are you passionate about it, do you look at it and it makes you want to go ride?

To me at least that is a very big part of the process. 👍

ta11pau1

I’ve test ridden a few bikes at demo days over the past few months and it’s not only taught me that the extreme long low slack bikes aren’t the best for my type of riding, but that I prefer 27.5 bikes to 29ers and that I can ride a size L or XL, with sizing down meaning a much more agile, fun bike.

So yes – demo days are good, mmmkay. I started out looking at bikes like the Whyte S-150 and Vitus Escarpe 29 VRX, both bikes which would not be the best bikes for me. I now have an understanding of how wheelbase/reach/chainstay length etc etc affect how a bike rides. Maybe once you get your head around that and realise that weight is such a tiny factor in how a bike rides, then you’ll be able to look at a bikes geometry and work out if it’ll be suited to you, but you need to ride a few bikes first. You can’t tell much from a car park test other than confirming the suspension works and that you’re on vaguely the right size…

What I bought as my first MTB (after a 15 year gap) was fairly set in stone due to budget, but I know for my next bike in 6-12 months what I need to be looking for, all as a result of demo days.

oldnpastit

Are Cotic still doing their travelling demos?

milky1980
    Free Member

It’s worth doing a few demos IMO, even if it’s just to get an idea of what size suits.  Whatever bike you get you’ll end up tweaking it and probably changing out a component or two anyway so don’t expect one bike to be perfect immediately.  What you want to look for is the bike that makes you feel comfortable on your normal riding.  Seeing as you’re spending a lot of money on something you’ll be keeping for a while the few extra quid a few demos cost is worth it to save making a costly mistake.

I did the whole demo thing back in the beginning of the year and it helped me discount two bikes that on paper were spot on for what I wanted.  One felt twitchy and unintuitive to ride and the other just felt dull and heavy despite being the lighter option.  If I hadn’t demod some bikes I’d have ended up with the twitchy one, instead I’ve got a bike that, after a few tweaks, is exactly what I wanted.  That extra £150 I spent on demoing saved me wasting £3k on the wrong bike so it was definitely worth it.  Get yourself to the Malverns and demo the crap out of a few bikes.

CheesybeanZ

Your in the Brizzle area , pop into Starling and buy a Murmur – problem solved.

weeksy

We’re adaptable creatures and no bike feels 100% perfect right out of the box.

Can’t agree with any of your post, especially this bit…

My Whyte T130 felt amazing from the first second i rode it.

My Kona Process 153 felt AWFUL !

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

What, if anything, have you changed on the Whyte?

weeksy

I’ve put new wheels on it and a Remote/Ant+ dropper. Wheels because i run XC and burly tyres, so makes sense instead of swapping tubeless goo all the time, to have spare wheels, so sometimes i can argue i run the same standard wheels, depends on the conditions/routes/locations. Dropper because i can then swap it to/from my other HT without any cables. Other than that, it’s the same as it came.

stevextc
    Free Member

What, if anything, have you changed on the Whyte?

Like Weeksy I knew the T-130 felt right in seconds (before even leaving the parking/bike hub area at Swinley)

I’ve also ridden other bikes that just never clicked…

The thing is what clicked for me and Weeksy might not click for you…. and the 2015 original parts are the headset and bars (and rear through axle).

The main reason I’ve done that is that the frame is just right for me…. but that doesn’t make it right for you.

The other reason is I had parts or they were a deal, the ML3 tuned shock cost me £100 (new and as cheap as a service) but I’m 72kg.. the Pikes replaced the Revelations which got scratched… but added another 10mm of front travel as well… the wheels.. I had a carbon Giant set anyway and I got a cheap £100 in sales set to trash… (though they are way better than the stock wheels)

The reverb… did what reverb’s do so replaced with a Thomson…. brakes I had mostly spares but can’t be assed with 2 bleed kits and sets of pads… cranks I had anyway but the originals had to go as they were too long (but knew that when I bought) .. previous owner had already replaced the mech and shifters with Shimano and I just replaced as 1×10 before I even bothered riding…

AlexSimon

Definitely worth riding.

If nothing else, it will stop you second-guessing your purchase afterwards.

I rode loads before getting the Bird Aeris (original version).
    Liked a few. Didn’t get on with a few. The Bird was as good but far cheaper. Loved it ever since.

At the very least, try and ride the one you think you’ll buy on terrain you want it to be good on, just to make sure.

DezB
    Free Member

This comes up fairly often and a lot of people say they don’t test ride, many others say they do. Personal preference, in other words.

I like to, and I think this thread here shows it’s value – https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/when-to-call-it-a-day-on-a-bike

tomhoward

I try to if I can, not a deal breaker if I can’t. That said I’ve never not got on with a bike I test ride before buying…

TomB

I’ve only ever test ridden 1 bike, a Commencal Meta which I though I was going to buy, but it felt like I was dragging an anchor going uphill. Taught me a bit about what sort of geometry would suit me, and I’ve been lucky to enjoy the bikes I have bought.

joebristol

If you go to Swinley I think you could test ride a Whyte as well as a Bird there.

I maybe wrong, but do Leisure Lakes bikes do demos at Flyup 417 in Cheltenham?

flyingvee
    Free Member

Good pointers. Will reply to a few in a minute.

Reason I’m keen to try a few rather than dive in was that last year was my first year regular riding since the 90s. Bike history includes an Alpinestars as a kid, an early 90s Breezer Storm currently on rehab turbo trainer/child seat duties, and a 2010 Saracen Zen 3 I got second hand to play around and see how bikes had come on in the last 20 years. Have loved throwing it round the local trails, feels like a bmx compared to the Breezer. Although last year I took the Saracen round the Corfe Castle/Swyre Head loop in Dorset and the thought of extra traction on the stony ascents, a dropper post and a smoother downward sections floats my boat so short thrashes on built trails and Bike Parks shouldn’t be the focus.

One of the only other “modern” bikes I’ve tried last year after the Saracen had a mechanical was a half day hire of a Trek (Fuel?) 29 full <u>sus</u> at Coed y Brenin. Went on the Temtiwr red trail and played in the skills area and on the blues which was an absolute hoot. Didn’t even feel too laboured on the corners given its was a 29 and I’m 5′ 7″. Being in the south west duties will be the local brizzle trails, mendips, the odd trip to Coed y Brenin (folks have van up there) and as my confidence continues to build some of the south wales centres.

Bikes I’m curious about are scott spark/genius (would have to be last years and discounted) , Cotic flare/rocket, Bird aeris, orange Four/Five (maybe too pricey), and of course the massive bargains and mag review faves like Vitus Escarpe VRX, Canyon Spectral and YT Jeffsy. Chances of getting many of them sides by side seems unlikely so I’m happy to demo wheel sizes and geometry to get feel for how stable/playful a bike I want rather than trying each and every one.

Balls that got a bit long. Sorry

flyingvee
    Free Member

Garry_Lager
    “The anxiety of empty indecision.”

love it. I’m normally ok on the decision making it’s just having the funds which slows me down. Not so much this time I could probably buy in a month or two. Not in a hurry though as I have a usable bike, it’ll be weeks/months before the physio lets me properly hoy it around and I’m always one for an end of season bargain.

I’ve done a bit of research but of course all bumf/mag reviews tell you loads of contrasting shapes and sizes are the “do it all” bike.

ta11pau1
    “…. it’s not only taught me that the extreme long low slack bikes aren’t the best for my type of riding, but that I prefer 27.5 bikes to 29ers and that I can ride a size L or XL, with sizing down meaning a much more agile, fun bike.”
    Yes I’d been starting to think the longer bikes might be a bit too downhill orientated for the majority of my riding and may kill the fun on average trails. Chatted with a guy at Leigh Woods on Saturday who had an original Bird Aeris and he pretty much said this. He now uses his hardtail mostly and the Bird for rough downwards summer riding only.

“have an understanding of how wheelbase/reach/chainstay length etc etc affect how a bike rides. ”

Yes this is what I’m hoping to get out of trying a few and while I can do the theory based on my limited experience on new bikes , getting in the saddle of three or four bikes might nail it for me.

oldnpastit

“Are Cotic still doing their travelling demos?”

They’ll be at the Malverns. Suspect they maybe be too pricey for what I was hoping to get. The theory of invest in the frame and upgrade seems sensible but at the same time the I’ve read on here that bikes have had their day (from an advancement perspective not wear and tear) after 8 years-ish so seems daft buying a bike and not getting it fully up to spec until 4/5 years in which is what it would take me. Although I can splash at this point in time family (significant birthday), finances wont allow me to pour hundreds in each year.

milky1980

“What you want to look for is the bike that makes you feel comfortable on your normal riding.”

thumbs up to this.

“One felt twitchy and unintuitive to ride and the other just felt dull and heavy despite being the lighter option. what were these and what did you get?

“Get yourself to the Malverns and demo the crap out of a few bikes.”

I think this is on! Only up the road and last time I went to the classics was after my GCSEs!

CheesybeanZ

“Your in the Brizzle area , pop into Starling and buy a Murmur – problem solved.”

Didn’t know they were local (shameful”. Will check them out. Might be in the too long for me camp. Also out of budget

weeksy

“My Whyte T130 felt amazing from the first second i rode it.”

Had a short play on a mate’s T130 although it had clip pedals and I’ve not worn cleats since my 90s sidi dominators! I think this may be the ballpark I’ll end up in geometry wise.

DezB

“I like to, and I think this thread here shows it’s value –”

Yep no one wants that situation.

joebristol

“If you go to Swinley I think you could test ride a Whyte as well as a Bird there.

I maybe wrong, but do Leisure Lakes bikes do demos at Flyup 417 in Cheltenham?”

thanks for Swinley pointer. Looks like I missed the the LL Flyup day as well. LL demos are £85/day.

flyingvee
    Free Member

Tickets bought for Saturday Malverns Demo-ing. Whoop. Should be a blast (from the past).

The list of manufacturers includes many that are very new to me/completely unknown.

Cannondale, Cotic, Cube, Dartmoor, DMR, Geomotron, GT, Haibike, Hope Technology, IBIS, Identiti, Kingdom, KTM, Lapierre, Marin, Niner, NS Bikes, Nukeproof, Pace, Pivot, Puky, Rocky Mountain, Sanderson, Saracen, Sick Bicycles, SIMPLON, Spawn, Specialized, Stanton, Starling, Stooge, Surly, Titici, Trillion, Wisper and Yeti

Can anyone help populate a list of potential test bikes?

I’m hoping to ride at least 4 preferable 6-8 (realistic?). I know my £2.5k budget wont get me far with some of these brands but I’m still looking to get a feel of wheel size and geometry. Unless someone wants to cut me a deal on the day!!!

normal  27.5 Nukeproof mega 270, Saracen kili flyer

long reach/wheelbase 27.5 Cotic Flare

normal 27.5+- Ibis mojo 3

long r/wb 27.5+ Cotic Flare max

normal r/wb 29 NS Snabb

long r/wb 29 Geometron 13

Let me know if I’ve not categorised these well on wheelbase/reach or if there’s anything else I could consider.

DezB
    Free Member

Gotta try one of the new Rocky Mountains! Instinct/Altitude/Thunderbolt …  oh, £2.5K…. you could do what I did, test ride now, buy later (when you can afford or the price drops!)

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i test rode my new bike last night,

it felt too flipping fast, the front end was so light I pulled wheelies when not even trying,

i went into my local woods and attempted a rooty steep uphill section that in the past i have had to jump off and push the 30 or so times i’ve ridden it.

Last night, i picked a line and peddled, straight up and over and then i even made the next section that is short and 45 degree steep with no run up.. i got up and over both first time, i then rode back around to see if it was a fluke, same happened again, straight over the roots and up the steep banking..

i then took it down a nice twisty flowing wood section, a few seconds behind my best time, and i had to brake a few times as it felt too fast..

it seemed to glide around corners and not drop a beat..

i love it :0)

that said probably best to have a test ride, even if its a couple of mates bikes

nicko74

I think test riding is definitely a good idea, but then I’ve never test-ridden a bike and have loved at least 3 of them (out of 5).

If you’ve had time away from bikes, or simply need to check in with the current design trends (big wheels, biggerer wheels, big tubes, short/ long, etc etc), you definitely should, just to work out if you prefer long and low, short and bouncy, etc. At least then you’ll know you like a bike with roughly this geometry, that weight, and can use that as a basis for buying.

flyingvee
    Free Member

DezB

Gotta try one of the new Rocky Mountains! Instinct/Altitude/Thunderbolt …  oh, £2.5K…. you could do what I did, test ride now, buy later (when you can afford or the price drops!)

Yeah hard to imagine with my budget. Wouldn’t mind having a play though.

Can go up a little but not interested in holding off purchase to save more money at this point.

flyingvee
    Free Member

Well I’ve been busy and had a great time at the malverns, tested loads and learnt a lot. The geometron was mental, aggressive and definitely too much bike for me. Loved the ibis mojo 3. Just wish it was a few grand cheaper. Won’t go through the list in entirety but I learnt that I like both 27.5 and 29 wheels but will probably skip plus sized this time.

Fast forward a bit while work was flat out and I’ve recently been to Swinley (great red trail) and rode the aeris 120. Loved it but something is holding me back. I found the bottom of the travel a few times and perhaps it was the overall bike weight. Dunno. Also with the upgrades I’d want to the GX build the total will break my budget.

So I’m ready to pull the trigger and it’s a toss up between two. I’m trying to ignore the “safe bets” of the Jeffsy and spectral which I’m sure are great rides and even better value with recent discounts.

cube stereo 140 tm which with the 2018 bike discounts is a phenomenal array of kit for the money.

https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/mountainbike/fullsuspension/stereo/cube-stereo-140-hpc-tm-275-greynorange-2018/

and the very recent curve ball is a Yeti sb4.5c that is heavily reduced to make way for the new models.

http://www.silverfish-uk.com/manufacturer/Yeti-Cycles/BiKES/Full-Suspension-Mountain-Bikes/VARYCB18S45CSMRSdPAXT14400_Yeti-SB45-C-Series-XT-SlX-29-quot-Bike-2018

What do I go for? The yeti with a highly praised frame and mid level kit (Fox performace, slx etc) or the Cube which is dripping in high end kit (Fox factory, GX eagle, Code R brakes).

Feel like the Yeti is where my boyhood dreams lie but wonder if the Cube is a more sensible purchase.

What would you do and why?

joebristol

If an Aeris 120 breaks the bank how does a carbon Yeti come in budget?

The Cube definitely has better kit – other than GX Eagle (which is still better than the SLX of the yeti) it’s blinged within an inch of its life.

In terms of ride they have different suspension systems – I think the cube is 4 bar butvthe Yeti is VPP I think. A direct ride back to back would be useful, but if it I think I’d go with the cube for the amazing parts whilst still having a pretty good frame.

flyingvee
    Free Member

Good question. I think they just want the old bikes gone so are willing drop an already reduced price. Tbh I didnt even ask about them when i was in the shop but when I mentioned a budget of 2.5-3k for a Scott he suggested the Yeti (and my jaw dropped).

Thanks for the input joe. I cant see myself getting a proper ride on these particularly as I’ll need to act fast. Plenty written and on youtube on how the Yeti pedals and rides but next to nothing on the new Stereo 140. Would be gutted if it lacked efficiency too much in favour and descent.

stevextc
    Free Member

Can’t agree with any of your post, especially this bit…

My Whyte T130 felt amazing from the first second i rode it.

My Kona Process 153 felt AWFUL !

I’ve had similar experiences… not to mention quiet a few ‘meh’

In many way’s it’s not even the ACTUAL bike… I tried some of the Whyte HT’s as well and something felt right before I’d left the car park.

Of course that doesn’t mean that Whyte is right for everyone, the point really is that the feeling of right/wrong or indifference tends to go across the range (XC to DH and lowest spec to highest).

I guess there is also the 27.5 vs 29 to consider as well… and how much travel..

I’m guessing that those who dismiss test riding EITHER

Have a bike they really like already and are looking for the same geo numbers

or

Never actually sat on a bike and it just felt right

For me a lot of stuff sit’s in the ‘meh’ category…  lot’s of bikes feel OK … I don’t hate them but they don’t have the almost immediate feel of it being the right bike for you.

joebristol

You do find thre instant right wrong thing can happen with some bikes whilst others are ok and grow on you.

The Aeris 145 felt amazing within about 10 mins of riding at Swinley and it’s not even ideal there. Got stacks of pbs versus my older 130mm travel fs trail bike that was lighter and less slack so should have been better there.

An Airdrop Edit felt ok ish, but there was something that didn’t quite work for me when I test rode one – like I was too far over the front wheel.

My mates Kona Process 134 felt fine ridden back to back with the Aeris at BMCC other than feeling like a hardtail with a short travel fork in comparison. It was so noisy / clanky in comparison to the Aeris!

BillOddie

I think if you bought the Cube you’d be thinking about the Yeti…

stevextc
    Free Member

You do find thre instant right wrong thing can happen with some bikes whilst others are ok and grow on you.

I’m not so sure this isn’t just convincing ourselves though ?

Yeah we adapt… might change a stem etc. and I’m CURRENTLY doing this with my most recent purchase… and whilst this 160mm travel bike (Mega 275) is undoubtedly faster downhill than my T-130 and not that much slower climbing (if anything) it’s still not gained that zing.  (This said it was a £200 purchase and it’s definitely not in the instant WRONG)

flyingvee
    Free Member

BillOddie

I think if you bought the Cube you’d be thinking about the Yeti…

Yes this is my concern. Definitely a head and heart tug of war going on. Just need to persuade the head I don’t need all the bling on the cube and that the yeti won’t miss it. I don’t want be swapping parts left right and centre (my wallet will be empty anyway)

On that point can anyone comment on the difference in ride between the specs, fox 34 performance vs 36 factory. Will I notice much of a the difference?

paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    superstu
    Free Member

You like the Bird bit slightly worried about travel, why not go for the 145?

Cube is a fair bit shorter in reach than the bird. In my opinion definitely diminishing returns on kit over a certain level so don’t let that completely blind you.

qwerty
    Free Member

If your still looking, i think Noahs in Stroud have a pretty good demo of the Whyte & Specialized fleet every November.

sbob
    Free Member

If you’ve had time away from bikes, or simply need to check in with the current design trends (big wheels, biggerer wheels, big tubes, short/ long, etc etc), you definitely should

Whoops!
    18 yrs between bike purchases, nay test rides, fingers crossed.

flyingvee
    Free Member

why not go for the 145?

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Cube is a fair bit shorter in reach than the bird. In my opinion definitely diminishing returns on kit over a certain level so don’t let that completely blind you.</span>

Just not sure I want the bird right now. I think the bird 145 like the yeti sb5.5c (which is also on offer) is too much bike and i dont want to sacrifice pedal/climbing performance. My medium term plan if I find I’m wanting a bit more capable bike for a few days a year is to get/build a budget ride specifically. The bike I’m looking at now needs to better on the long days and ascent.

My spreadsheet (cos im that cool) has the 18″ cube and medium aeris 120  stem+reach measurements within 1mm and the reach is 10mm short on the cube. Although I only sat on the cube it didn’t feel vastly different to the bird tbh.

I did some googling last night and actually I think the grip damper in the Performance is pretty solid now even if not quite as nice as the fit4. I can live without the bling on the cube.

You watch now I’m leaning towards the yeti it’ll have gone,

flyingvee
    Free Member

Whoops!

18 yrs between bike purchases, nay test rides, fingers crossed

Not quite. My current bike is 8 years old and was pretty slack for the time (though I do have a 90s bikes in the stable which may have confused you).

Since this post started I’ve test ridden 7 bikes on top of a FS hire last year which got me thinking in the first place. I think now l’ve got a feel of everything from short reach-long reach, 120-160mm travel and the three main tire choices so I can now translate what I’m reading about these bikes to those I’ve ridden which was my issue earlier in the year.

It’s actually been really fun and can see myself testing new bikes as they come long even after this purchase. Probably a bit dangerous but I’ve seen a few folk out at the demos who clearly aren’t looking to buy.

sbob
    Free Member

Sorry flyingvee, I was describing my situation.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’ve come to like a test ride – made some bike errors in the past!

Last MTB i bought i demoed a few bikes – i ruled some out as the cost to demoing them was way too high. (it doesn’t need to to be the best on the market – just meet my requirements/ be good enough).

I rode a few – the first few went against magazine reviews (i didn’t like the t-130).  And gave me some idea of what i wanted.

I ‘ve previously built a bike then struggled to ride it due to local terrain/ the bike/ what my mates ride.  I’ve also bought bikes which whilst the right size can’t be made to fit – I chopped the Head tube off a salsa to drop the bars, and still sold it.

I’ve just bought a commuter – I knew which one i wanted – test rode it for 5 mins up and down the street. Haven’t test ridden anything else.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘To test ride or not?’ is closed to new replies.