Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • To Swap Surly disk trucker for Straggler?
  • Olly
    Free Member

Don’t know where this seed of doubt has come from. Probably just not riding enough.
    I’ve had my trucker for a few years now, this my daily commuter*, and only tarmac bike.

Having built a camper van, had a baby, and bought a bakfiets cargo land yacht *-for commuting via nursery and shopping, I have very little call for a proper tourer.

I suppose there is a possibility that we might go touring when the youngling is a bit bigger, but the existence of the van dilutes that likelihood.

Would I notice a difference if I swapped to a Straggler frame? I’ve heard the truckers are a bit dead feeling when unloaded (it does ride like a dream when fully loaded, but I’ve not done that since the bakfiets started traking on shopping duties) as my other bike is a mountain filing -cabinet, I don’t have a snappy road frame to compare it to.

I’m pretty sure a Straggler suits the job better these days and cos take on a few days touring just fine, but is it worth the few hundred quid to swap it?

Any other options to consider?
    Steel, disk, cx/gravel/pavement.

StirlingCrispin

I have a Trucker – love it, but don’t ride it enough.
    Never heard of the Straggler until this thread – looks like a nice bike though.
    Have owned plenty of audax bikes in my time (steel and Ti).

I can’t imagine that swapping frames will make any difference.
    Swapping tyres might be a cheaper option – that’s generally the biggest variation in zip.

ton

long term surly trucker, and disc trucker owner here (10+years).
    take the guards and rack off your trucker and you have a straggler.

seriously, save your cash and ride the trucker without racks guards and add some cx tyres.

same tubing, a tad of a degree change in design. touring forks a bit stronger, no other differance.

Ben_H

I had a Surly Ogre, then a Straggler.

I find the latter noticeably more comfortable, I suspect due to parts choices – but also tubing, too.

Fort reference, I’d add that Straggler sizing comes up large. I normally ride a 56cm road frame, but have a 54cm Straggler (which has a c.56cm top tube). I ride mine with two sets of skinny and burly wheels and it’s comfy on both.

Incidentally, my 1-year old minty green frame will be for sale just before Christmas due to a Shand arriving.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Geometry is pretty different, namely the chainstay length.

Having owned a Surly, I wouldn’t buy another one.

If you want something different, get carbon or alloy as not only will you get different handling, it’ll also be stiffer and lighter!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘To Swap Surly disk trucker for Straggler?’ is closed to new replies.