Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • To ride with mudguards or without mudguards?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Who out there is brave enough to ride without mudguards in this splendid wet weather?
    Any pics?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Brave or foolish?

Stiggy

I am always surprised by the lack of people that actually use mudguards, there’s a strange macho thing about them. I spent a lot of money on my reverb and I also have a mucky nutz on the front to protect the stantions. Maybe I’m a bit paranoid! 😕

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve only got three on my bike!

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Muli-function

bigdean

If i could i’d have full mud guards on the full suss as opposed to the normal crud catcher types.
    Some say it makes the bike ugly. Cant see what can be worse than me on it.

maxtorque

Mud guards:

Negatives: You look ghey
    Positives: You stay cleaner

No Mud guards:
    Positives: You look less ghey
    Negatives: you end up looking like you’ve had a fight with a set of dirty badgers after a couple of miles riding, and your car, house, and even girlfriend will smell like rotting leaves and sticky mud for the rest of the year.

yup, no guards it is then……. 😉

zelak999
    Free Member

Glad to see the rear guard put to such good use Kbrembo!!

zelak999
    Free Member

I’m using two crud guards and the mucky nutz, the rear guard is right pain when using a reverb as my seat tube is pretty long and I’ve gotta have the reverb slightly down when it’s not dropped.
    Can’t wait for the glorious summer that we are due and I can take ’em off.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Guards of various types have been tried by me but they rattle, twist, rub and fall off. They end up getting ripped off from frustration if they haven’t fallen off. The geometry of my rigs now seems to avoid too much in my face muck. Rear guards get destroyed easily. And I don’t care if my back is muddy. Protecting the bike from mud is sissy. A mountain bike should be ridden, not wrapped in cotton wool 😛

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Only an idiot would ride in Britain without mudguards.

brack
    Free Member

deadkenny

You obviously don’t commute on a daily basis? And only ride your bike at weekends by any chance?

wavejumper
    Free Member

Still can’t get one to work on the rear with my reverb though?

weeksy

I don’t run them on the road bike, but do on the MTB.

FuzzyWuzzy

Anyone that thinks they look less cool running mudguards is deluding themselves, firstly you likely look a muppet anyway (there’s like 3 people in California that look cool on an MTB, the rest of us don’t) and secondly no one gives a damn, or are you really trying to attract members of the opposite/same sex whilst out on the trails?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Doesn’t work with dropper posts and full sus and it’s another thing to break. If I were commuting then I’d have a shower and full change.

I use inner tube on the crowns and a strip to protect the dropper post. The water from the sky gets you wet but we don’t take umbrellas. It’s only water.

johnellison
    Free Member

I’m with deadkenny on this one. I couldn’t give a damn about getting wet or mucky, after all that’s why we ride, isn’t it? Mudguards are a pain in the ricker, especially with a full-bounce rig, and since everything gets cleaned after every ride, what’s the problem? The only nod I give to any form of mud guarding is a Rapid Racer splash guard on the front forks.

grahamg
    Free Member

Vast majority of my riding is on road – mudguards at all times except racing (and of course, training on the race bike which is on dry days). Off-road, I hate the wet arse thing but never ride for more than a few hours so am not too fussed, I do think I need a good quality set of mud catchers though.

So what’s the stock-in-trade realiable/durable/effective MTB equivalent of SKS then?

I should add, I ride either a hardtail or a fully rigid old konan so no issues mounting.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Just the neoprene mud guard on my fork for me! Dropper post makes fitting a rear one awkward for the bracket.

Nobby

I’ve always hated guards on the mtb but have been running those Mucky Nutz ones front & rear which do keep the worst of the cack from your face & crack.

scaled
    Free Member

what are those chainstay mounted mudguards called?

enfht
    Free Member

Mud guards are wrong wrong wrong.

Unless you’re a lycra-clad roadie in which case you won’t look any sillier and they may in some circumstances actually serve a purpose.

transapp
    Free Member

Crudguards and a mucky nutz. I ride long distances and prefer to slow down the spread of the crap. I Agree they look rubbish, but honestly, I ride a mountain bike alone in the woods most of the time, who cares?

IHN

Dairy-O-Matic milk bottle based ‘homage’ to MuckyNutz on the forks, Crud Catcher on the downtube, Crud Catcher over the rear tire (cunningly mounted to the seat tube, not the seat post)

=

Dry arse, clean face/glasses, not covered in crap

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m with deadkenny on this one. I couldn’t give a damn about getting wet or mucky, after all that’s why we ride, isn’t it?

No. I ride for fun. Being wet, muddy and gritty isn’t fun, it’s uncomfortable and cold.

Mud guards are wrong wrong wrong.

No. They are not.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got a rear crud catched on my Reverb and it keeps both it and me less mucky. I have a homespun effort on the front made dead Defender & zip ties. Never get the chance to take them off as in the Lakes many paths.are like streams all year long, so they are more water guards than.mud….

I find a piece of old road bike bar tape under the mudguard clamp helps secure it to the Reverb with out impeding action.

DrP

Full SKSs on the fixie (road bike).
    Front and rear crud guards, plus neoprene fork thingy on the SS.
    Neoprene thingy on the full sus…

Mostly ride the SS in rank mud weather for obvious reasons…

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

Beside the fact that you can’t bloody see when water and crap are spraying up off the front wheel into your face.

Anyone found decent mudguards for a cross bike? I bought some SKS ones and they rattle (not all the time, just enough to be annoying). I wish Crud made some!

zippykona

This is my commute. I don’t care what mudguards look like as long as they work.

johnellison
    Free Member

@PeterPoddy – being wet, muddy and gritty is only uncomfortable and cold if you don’t have the right gear. Decent water-proof/breathable gear makes a hell of a difference. Plus once I’m out I don’t tend to stop for more than a couple of minutes at a time – that’s when you get cold.

I’ve never used mudguards in nearly 30-odd years of cycling (both on and off road); I ride in all weathers and conditions and never had a problem. They’re just an encumbrance that I can manage perfectly well without. Still, each to their own, I suppose.

johnellison
    Free Member

@ DezB – that’s what glasses are for – keeps the shit out of your eyes.

cookeaa

I’m not that concerned about them TBH, they do look **** but then so does riding a bike to most people, seems an odd thing for people to evangelize about though…

I use/have used crud catchers, old bits of inner-tube between fork crowns or a DIY version of a “Mucky Nutz” type fender on the front end of various MTBs to keep shite out of my eyes but I can’t say I’ve ever been impressed enough with any rear fender/mudguard to actually want to fit one to any MTB that I own…

Road bike – close fitting guards in winter makes perfect sense to me, but I don’t have any at the minute so I cycled in today without, and as there was almost no standing water and I didn’t die or get particularly wet… I doubt I’ll be able to get away with that for much longer so some new road guards shall be ordered tonight need to decide between something from SKS or Crud race guards…

dreednya

Neoguard on the fork and waterproof shorts for me practically 12 months of the year here in ‘sunny’ Wales 🙂

zippykona

And this is how dirty I got this morning.

FuzzyWuzzy

For dropper post + FS combo use a Zefal No Mud mudguard
    For the CX bike I just use a Zefal Swan road guard
    I’m not a employee of Zefal :p (in fact the Swan’s clamp is a bit too delicate and the No Mud can be a faff to fit right). On the rigid MTB I just use crud’s front and rear

labsey
    Free Member

Mudguards here. I commute on my HT and its less mud to wash off when I get to work. Gave up looking cool on a bike years ago.

IHN

And what keeps the shit off your glasses? (And in my case, expensive prescription glasses?)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

@PeterPoddy – being wet, muddy and gritty is only uncomfortable and cold if you don’t have the right gear

Correct

Mudguards = Right gear.

DezB
    Free Member

Mudguards stop the shit from going under your glasses too.

On the commute they also do a great job of keeping your bike free of most of the road-grime spray. And who likes cleaning their commuter bike?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Broken crud catchers, seen snapped rear spoilers, don’t get on our case just because we can deal with mud.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘To ride with mudguards or without mudguards?’ is closed to new replies.