Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • To PUSH or not?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Thinking of getting my Pikes PUSHed

Any thoughts? its going to be IRO 150 quids 🙁

Is it really worth it?

MrNutt
    Free Member

do they set them up especially for your size/weight? if so then yeah what the hell, I probably would, but only if I was planning on running them for at least 12 months 🙂

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just been considering this myself-£150 would be a no go for me. I was hoping that £80ish would get a good service and tune for my weight etc.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

You’d have to very unhappy with the forks regardless of spring/oil weight and set up to fork that out. And yes I bloody intended it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I know, seems an awful pile of readies to me. It was cheaper a few months ago but shot up recently…

Can’t say I’m not happy with Pikes like…

**** it. I ain’t bothering, sorry all, silly question.

MrNutt
    Free Member

a tenner says he wakes up tomorrow and calls TF 😀

coolhandluke
    Free Member

You’re on MrNutt, I’ll call them on Thursday and put your tenner towards it! 😆

Vortexracing

Vic

got mine done as part of a service, costs £40 over and abovethe service as i recall.

well worth it in my opinion.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

I would say that i have a pushed Roco shock on my rotec DH rig and it changed the ride completely (for the better). On the other hand a friend had his pikes pushed and didnt notice much differance at all. I would say a TF custom tune would be the best thing….

Its a lot of cash!

BadlyWiredDog

I had my Air Pikes Pushed about six months ago and they are ****’ brilliant. They were good before, but now you can rag the hell out of them on Peak rockeries and they just eat it up, whereas before under real provocation, they’d occasionally spike and start getting out of shape. If you’re happy with them now, then I wouldn’t bother, if you find they sometimes get out of shape, then I think it’s a great mod. Also, TFT will ask you about your riding style, weight, what bike etc and set them to suit you. I run them about 5psi less positive than they suggest, but otherwise, spot on.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m not realy sure what “pushed” means.What exactly are you supposed to get for your money?

Coolhandluke – I picked up my 2nd hand Pikes this evening, so would be interested to hear what you think of yours if you get them Pushed.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m not realy sure what “pushed” means.What exactly are you supposed to get for your money?

This.

retro83
    Free Member

I had my Air Pikes Pushed about six months ago and they are ****’ brilliant. They were good before, but now you can rag the hell out of them on Peak rockeries and they just eat it up, whereas before under real provocation, they’d occasionally spike and start getting out of shape. If you’re happy with them now, then I wouldn’t bother, if you find they sometimes get out of shape, then I think it’s a great mod. Also, TFT will ask you about your riding style, weight, what bike etc and set them to suit you. I run them about 5psi less positive than they suggest, but otherwise, spot on.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood but I thought the Push upgrade was an improved (speed sensitive) rebound part.
    How would this affect spiking (which I think means not enough oil can get through the compression dampers port orrifice and the floodgate is set too high to blow off) ?

BadlyWiredDog

I think it mods the compression damping at the same time, though I may be wrong. The link I posted above explains it pretty well. All I really care about is that the fork now holds everything together in a very composed sort of way in places where before it would occasionally get out of shape. Maybe it’s more being able to pass more oil on the rebound stroke, but at any rate, it seems to work. I’ll ask TF next time I see him.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’d only echo what BWD has said. Its not night and day like a rear shock push though.

I like the way they don’t squat down as much in steep slow techy sections and in corners. They much more composed at the ragged end as BWD says, but I found at the pressures TF recomended, I lost some small bump sensitivity, particularly on highspeed, small chattery stuff. This was sorted by dropping the pressure a bit.

enfht
    Free Member

Do it, do it now

swoosh
    Free Member

Let me get this straight, it’s £150 for the service kit fitted and set up to your weight but you also have to send it over to the states at god knows how much then they charge you for shipping back again. surely thats something like £200 total if not more! That’s rediculous. Is there anywhere in the uk that does it?

Vortexracing

tftune do it here swoosh

swoosh
    Free Member

ok so it’s £100 for a tft service or £160 for a PUSH upgrade? (both including postage) do you get the forks serviced when they are PUSHed? if you do it might be worth the cost of getting it done as you will get a fork that is tuned to your body weight and riding.

takisawa2

Had some Sids tuned to my weight by TF once. They were bloody brilliant.

Is this PUSH’ing only for Air Forks ?

I’m surprised your not entirely thrilled with your Pikes.
    I have Coil Pike’s & they are simply brilliant, cant really see how they could be improved. They came into their own towards the end of a long ride in Derbyshire recently. Hit a rocky section way way too fast & it was all I could do to hold on. Was literally poised for crashing but the forks just soaked up everything they hit. They really saved my ass that day.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yup, all done at the same time.

the lack of spikeing could be due to the faster rebound, i.e. over a series of successive hits which most forks struggle on the fork cant move up and down quick enough. So by the last hit your running out of travel and the fork feels entirely different to when it hit the first bump (in bad cases, old boxxers, the air could even be sucked through the piston and you end up with slugs of air/oil hitting the piston). Faster rebound damping stops that by keeping the fork extended between hits.

Vortexracing

thisisnotaspoon is spot on. After getting mine done, i noticed a lack of small bump compliance compared to standard pikes, spoke to Tim Flookes, who said wait until I had tried them on more demanding terrain, then I would notice a difference, a week or so later went the Lakes and the man was spot on, down a rocky BW they were completey unphased, stable and confidence inspiring. A very noticeable change for the better.

hora
    Free Member

How much now?! Its gone up by a fair chunk from last year. Can you buy the PUSH’d kits from the US and convert yourself?

richc
    Free Member

I had mine done, and to tell the truth for 99% of my riding it has made no difference (well no more than a decent service and oil change).

However on very fast trails (DH trails or very long fast descents) where you are going as fast as you can, and spinning out the pedals they are do feel nicer as they seem to track much better. However, not £150 quid nicer IMHO.

edit: I noticed that they were much harsher on the small stuff as well.

hora
    Free Member

TBH if it was the old price (£100) I’d be tempted but £160 is 60% too much. Dont forget you have to post them off as well.

swoosh
    Free Member

richc – Member
    However, not £150 quid nicer IMHO.

I suppose technically its only £50-60 more if you get the service included.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’m too posh to push.

richc
    Free Member

its a pretty simple job to service them yourself, or get a LBS to do it and they will charge a lot less than £100 (mine costs £60 and the mechanic is an ex RockShox race mechanic)

MrNutt
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member
    I’m too puss to push.

eh?

zaskar
    Free Member

Scardy Pussycat Mr Nutt

UK-FLATLANDER

The TFTuned site says £139 +pp not £160

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I think I’ll keep my money.. Thanks for all your opinions.
    Now,, where can I get a
    “TOO POOR TO PUSH” sticker from?

MrNutt
    Free Member

zaskar – Member
    Scardy Pussycat Mr Nutt

eh?!?

Fagus
    Free Member

I spent a lot of time setting my Pikes up. Rebound, air pressure, compression damping etc. I played with them all. I decided to have them PUSHED when I had a service done, by that nice Mr Flooks. When they came back all the settings were completely different from what I thought were ideal. They feel like completely different forks. So much smoother especially on the rougher stuff. I thought it was well worth the money.

hora
    Free Member

UK-FLATLANDER – Member
    The TFTuned site says £139 +pp not £160

Eh? How are you getting the forks to him? Plus you’ll want the package insured. Then theres the ‘+PP’ back hence reasonable to assume 20quid extra all in for both ways no? It aint rocketscience! 😉

UK-FLATLANDER

See what you mean, but then the P+P will also add to the standard service cost. Haven’t had this done to mine, but seriously considering it given the positive comments on the MTBR forum.

BadlyWiredDog

If you get the forks Pushed, you also get them fully serviced at the same time, which with TFT means they replace all the seals, fluids, various valves, resized bushings if needed etc. No, they’re not cheap, but they’re incredibly professional and efficient. Stuff gets done when they say it will and they even phone you while they’re working on your fork to tell you exactly what they’re doing to it etc.

I pretty much do all my own servicing, maintenance etc on my bikes, but I’m quite happy to use TFT for anything beyond a basic oil and seal change on forks. They won’t, btw, simply supply the PUSH Industries parts, there’s somemachining involved I think and, pretty reasonably, they want to make sure stuff is properly installed on a fully serviced fork.

And if it’s too expensive for you, don’t do it, simple 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

the only problem ive had with pushing one set of forks is I want them all done now , its a great upgrade.

Fagus
    Free Member

re P&P.

Using Royal Mail for a package of the weight and value of my set of Pikes I was quoted something like £25, one way. I ran TF on Monday morning at 9.30, they arranged for them to be collected and insured with a courier. He came at 3.30, and the forks were back with me on Wednesday at 10.30, again by insured courier. Total cost for both journeys was £20. I thought that was good value.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘To PUSH or not?’ is closed to new replies.