Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • To N+1 or to not N+1… that is the question.
  • wiggles
    Free Member

So currently have a Specialized fuse 650+ hardtail, have some decent bits on it Fox 34s, hope E4 brakes, fox dropper, X01 drivetrain etc.

But I am looking at getting a FS bike again as starting to get a bit battered when pushing things a bit on this bike, I really love this bike but it just doesnt quite do everything.

So I am looking at 2 options.

1)Buy a new frame and do a new build bit by bit over the next few months.

Good: get to keep HT and have 2 bikes
    Bad : would be 2nd hand/clearance frame so non-boost etc so none of the big bits off the fuse would fit, would take me a good few months buying bits to build it.

2) Buy a new more expensive boost frame and use the bits from the fuse.

Good: will have a new bike quicker, wheels are only 38mm wide so doesn’t have to use 650+ tyres
    Bad: old frame might get built back up with cheaper bits, or stuff swapped back for the winter but it may also never get done and I will probably miss it…

So essentially end up with 2 bikes, with 1 bikes worth of nice kit and the rest cheap stuff maybe mixed between the two (as brakes etc could be swapped. Or have 1 nice bike and a spare frame…
    WWJD WWSTWD??

ajantom

WWSTWD?
    Buy a couple of new bikes. You know, just in case.

My wife ventured into the garage today, and started counting. I apparently have 2 more bikes than she thought I had 😳
    I had to point out that 2 of the 9 are hers, and that the 2 frames on the wall don’t actually count as bikes. I think she bought it!

Seriously though, I’d buy a decent frame, and build it up over the next few months. More fun that way, and you can take advantage of bargains as and when they come up in sales or on the classifieds. It doesn’t have to be boost or + does it?

epicyclo

Never succumb to N+1

It’s a drug…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ajantom

The N stands for Narcotic.

wiggles
    Free Member

Seriously though, I’d buy a decent frame, and build it up over the next few months. More fun that way, and you can take advantage of bargains as and when they come up in sales or on the classifieds. It doesn’t have to be boost or + does it?

Ive seen a few decent frames around, could get something half decent for £400-500 but then by the time ive bought suspension and wheels etc (have stuff like brakes and bars in my spares collection) it will be at least £1200+ and Im lucky enought to be able to get most parts at trade price so 2nd hand isnt really worth it for a lot of stuff.

for a bit less than that (say I could get a decent new frame that I can use the HT bits on and will be a much higher spec than the £1200 bike.

Doesnt have to be boost or plus but just makes sense because I like it and have bits already.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Buy a Wazoo for £400.

Or a factory outlet Dude. 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

not into fat bikes plus is fat enough for me 😉

looking at 130mm + FS 650b or 29er

vincienup
    Free Member

I had to point out that 2 of the 9 are hers, and that the 2 frames on the wall don’t actually count as bikes.

Wait… Unbuilt frames count as bikes for the purposes on ‘one in, one out’? 😯

vincienup
    Free Member

More seriously, though –

OP. It basically depends what you want to do. I can see a lot of benefits to having more than one usable bike. If I didn’t have a space or money problem that prevented it, two would be my choice.

bigblackshed

What I don’t understand, apart from “should I have another bike”, you can get parts at trade and you’re saying you wouldn’t have nice parts on the FS?

sheck

Currently in the same situation… plan to buy an FS frame and put the good bits from my hardtail on it… then bit by bit I’ll rebuild the hardtail ready for next winter

wiggles
    Free Member

What I don’t understand, apart from “should I have another bike”, you can get parts at trade and you’re saying you wouldn’t have nice parts on the FS?

Doesn’t mean they are free! plus most stuff like drivetrains and brakes are as cheap on CRC as trade anyway. I could build one but with cheaper/not as nice stuff as the hardtail which just seems a bit backwards… so

Currently in the same situation… plan to buy an FS frame and put the good bits from my hardtail on it… then bit by bit I’ll rebuild the hardtail ready for next winter

This seems like the best plan, Just need to figure out what frame to get!

prawny

Always go for n+1 if it’s an option. Always.

wiggles
    Free Member

Done some man maths…

Worked out I can buy an “old” 142 rear end frame, use up my spare brakes , bars etc and buy all new low-mid level bits(apart from suspension which would be good stuff) to fill in the gaps. Without a dropper post a probably not taking into account a few things I have probably missed I could build a 2nd bike for pretty much the same amount as it would cost me for a (very very nice) new frame and shock to fit all the bits of the HT.

Makes it tempting but then I have to make space for another bike and the new frame would be worth more 2nd hand to sell if I change my mind than the whole cheap bike would be worth probably…

Demo bike time I think, to see if the fancy expensive frame is worth it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘To N+1 or to not N+1… that is the question.’ is closed to new replies.