Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 152 total)
  • To much Roadie Talk.
  • davetrave
    Free Member

Think the OP’s maybe missed the tongue-in-cheekness of a lot of responses, the banter’s part of what makes STW so great.

Especially for me living in the MTB wasteland of Nottingham, don’t you think taco…? 😉 (That smilie’s to show there’s no negativity, just a bit of lighthearted banter…!)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I would prefer the cycling talk on here to be more about mountain biking and less about road than it currently is,

*lobs a straw man into the argument*

Taking that idea to it’s conclusion we’d only have two or three threads on here. The Munroe thread, about half the bivi thread, and a few threads on the Lakes and Wales, nothing else is ‘Mountain’.

wwaswas

nothing else is ‘Mountain’.

*looks out of window at South Downs*

good point.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t you just ignore the stuff you’re not interested in and read the stuff you are? Radical, I know.

rewski
    Free Member

BristolPablo
    Free Member

To be honest, having to wade through all the “Its Tuesday, please congratualate me on this photo that I took” thread is far more annoying than the roadie threads but then thats because I am also a roadie and not a photographer. I came up with an ace plan though, ignore the photography threads…. Mrs BristolPablo likes the dog picture threads though so wants those to stay.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think your understanding of the phrase “torrent of abuse” is very different from a lot of other people

Yeah, you should try posting an urgent “I’ve just seen on the telly that the Titanic has sunk” thread and see what happens… 😉

wwaswas

still smarts eh Mr Woppit?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    FWIW and IMO, there are a few reasons for the roadie talk:

1. All cycling is fun and I would guess the majority of MTB owners also own some kind of road bike. The exclusive bit is to a large extent a myth that is sustained merely for the humour/banter value
    2. The crap weather and condition of trails has led to many of us getting the road bikes out again
    3. There really is not that much MTB stuff to talk about if we are being honest
    4. Commited roadies (and especially triathletes like me ) are easy targets for banter

5. They’ve all jumped on the 2012 TdF / Olympics bandwagon. They’ll all be playing tennis in June.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

still smarts eh Mr Woppit?

It’s da bomb! 😆

wwaswas

🙂

edlong
    Free Member

I’m not getting Mr Woppit’s Titanic reference and search isn’t yielding the goods – could anyone furnish me with a link to the offending item?

wwaswas

he somehow managed to find a story about the 7/7 bombings about 4 years after they happened and believed it was a live news report.

So he posted it on here.

You can probably predict the results.

We try not to talk about it when he’s about now, tbh.

yodagoat
    Free Member

I am NOT on the “other bus.” It’s The Yak thats the roadie bastard.

greyman
    Free Member

My mates in my road club think I’m a mountain biker – when I’m out with (different) boys offroad on the MTB(s), they think I’m a roadie* !

Great innit !

*obviously my blinding speed and fitness 😉

I think I’m a mountain biker, but no fooling myself about where the ‘miles’ are done.

Oh, and this is a great forum, (both bike and chat), despite the occasional predictability and arguing !

G.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely that should be ‘in the other peleton?’

yodagoat
    Free Member

The Yak is still very disappointed by this forum. He was banned for being nice to people and using my laptop to sign on. I’ll try and get him to sign in again and join in here. He’s got quite an opinion on all this roadie pish.

greyman
    Free Member

No, he might actually be back ,<ahem > ‘in the bus’ ..

mrlebowski
    Free Member

dabble
    Free Member

Which mincers don’t ride mountain bikes in winter?
    Its the best (not neccesarily true) time of year for riding, getting sideways round corners, getting filthy, throwing mud at your riding pals, the list of jollity is endless, but i’ll stop there cos we’ve all got lives to get on with. I cant see 700cc wheels sliding well round the corner unless you’ve just hit some black ice. I agree there is too much roadie stuff but at least if its advertised in the thread title its easy enough to avoid, its the bloody stealth roadies as have been mentioned before posting roadie stats in an mtb thread. You may not want to leave the MTB site alone but don’t invade what is becoming the last bastion of moutain bikes on a mountiain bike forum and try to usurp the topic that way.

And relax 🙂

wwaswas

Surely that should be ‘in the other peleton?’

or, in my case ‘in the other broom wagon’

CountZero

In reality, we’re not solely interested in one specific thing. We like lots of stuff – I like MTB, road, I commute, I drive a car, I own a house, I drink coffee, I travel, take pictures etc etc. I don’t want to have to click through different forums or even sites to talk about this stuff.

The diversity of stuff both cycling and non- is what makes this forum so good. I spend all day on here, I hardly ever go to other forums!

This!

epicyclo

teamhurtmore – Member
    …2. The crap weather and condition of trails has led to many of us getting the road bikes out again…

Maybe just need to get a proper mountainbike instead? – one that can cope with winter weather. 🙂

No such thing as crap weather on the trails.

rewski
    Free Member

That a Jetstream P8? Great bike, wish I never sold mine now.

molgrips
    Free Member

one that can cope with winter weather.

My bike can cope fine, it’s me that can’t be bothered. Slithering about at half normal speed listening to your drivetrain being ruined and getting muddy – yawn. The same old trails are becoming dull enough as it is.

If I could pause my life and naff off to the Beacons for a 6 hour ride mind, I would – even if it were in the middle of winter.

epicyclo

It’s a Groove. Been sold on too. Enormous fun, but I’ve got way too many bikes, so something had to go.

I used to pull it out when the 26″ wheel crowd got too obnoxious about how their small wheels were better and stronger than 29er wheels and handled better etc. Somehow they couldn’t quite grasp that by that reckoning 20″ wheels must be the ducks nuts. 🙂

Edit: I posted the pic to demonstrate that weather shouldn’t stop you taking your mtb out. If that little thing can be ridden round the mountains in snow, so can all those flash bikes cowering in sheds.

Sandwich

until november June

if it’s anything like last year.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s that much roadie content but then again I am one of those people who have just started dabble in the skinny tyre side of things…and have really enjoyed it so far.

I love mountain bikes, I really do but where I live the riding isn’t great and it’s a bit of a faf, especially when time is limited and the weather is poo. I like th fact that on the road bike a I can ride from my doorstep, do a couple of hours on quite roads, slung the bike in the garage and be done with it.

If I still live is Sheffield, and had Stanage and Wyming Brook on my doorstep like I used to, I doubt I would eve have thought about getting a road bike.

At the end of the day, it’s a bike riding so who cares?

jonba
    Free Member

It is probably too late (it’s all in the timing) but –

This is a bike Forum? Mostly about wood burning stoves, audis and human interest stories isn’t it?

If you go on a pure roadie forum there is a lot of talk of training, racing and serious stuff. Here it is people who seem to just want to go for a ride, that this weekend, is on the tarmac.

FWIW, road biking is good but cx is much better. It’s like a rigid drop barred 29er, what more could you want.

yodagoat
    Free Member

A drop barred 29er sounds like hell on earth. WTF would I want that? Crossbikes are for Goys.

oldgit
    Free Member

Have you been on ‘roadie’ forums? God they’re dull. They’re really isn’t anything to say.

The threads about things related to road bikes (I can’t think of any roadie threads) on STW tend to be fun and mostly harmless with a pinch of BS.

CountZero

It’s a bit …awkward to post at work, without getting an earful, so I’ve just come back to this thread. TBH, I honestly couldn’t understand what the OP was on about. I’ve not noticed any particular emphasis or bias towards road riding on here, but then, this is, as has been pointed out, the chat forum, not the cycling forum.
    This is where I spend all my forum browsing, purely and simply because, as Molgrips said, there’s such a wide variety of subjects all in one place, which is what I love about STW. I hate micro-managed fora, where there’s a dozen silly little subject headings that you have to stick with. As this is the chat forum, I expect there to be a huge variety of subjects, and if a few are concerned with road bikes, well that’s fine with me, I’m amazed anyone should get all aggressive about it.
    I didn’t even recognise the OP’s name, I thought he was a new member just signed up to be a troll, the fact he actually admitted to attempting to troll this thread, and then get all snotty when pulled up about his poor grammar, means I’ve no respect for whatever point he was trying to make.

oldgit
    Free Member

Anyroadup I’m off for a mountainbike ride, anyone coming?

piemonster

Nope, I went for a protest road ride earlier

stanfree
    Free Member

Where’s Yodagoat & Stanfree ? They’re both batting for the other team

Mmmm ,Davesport your a prime candidate for a road bike , you wear snug Ron Hills to go for a pint at the Winton. 😀

yunki
    Free Member

A bit of research would have clearly told you that the roadies on here are a very defensive lot

like in the same way this bloke was a bit defensive..

bikebouy
    Free Member

[/url] image by artaylor910, on Flickr[/img]

tacopowell
    Free Member

I didn’t even recognise the OP’s name, I thought he was a new member just signed up to be a troll, the fact he actually admitted to attempting to troll this thread, and then get all snotty when pulled up about his poor grammar, means I’ve no respect for whatever point he was trying to make.

The Names Tacopowell, Been a member for a year or two but only recently started using the forum properly.

Read my posts again, Where did I admit to trolling?! Read the original post and ask yourself if was at all in the slightest bit aggressive???

As far as getting “snotty” about my grammar, no, I find it annoying when people use poor grammar as an argument, Has nothing to do with my quite frankly easy going opinion on the subject in the original post.

People would be better off reading rather than scanning the words.

hh45
    Free Member

Well I quit my ST sub a few months ago (after 10 yrs) and have just taken out one to Cyclist. Its rather a good read. It wasn’t an intentional swap, I had just got bored of ST then I bought C when bored in a service station and next thing I’ve subscribed.

I still prefer mountain biking though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Epicycle, I was out nearly every day in the snow. It’s the thick gloop that just scores your chain/cassettes etc up that I get fed up with.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘To much Roadie Talk.’ is closed to new replies.