Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • To mow or not to mow….
  • JonBoy
    Free Member

….Who has cut the grass yet and who has plans to do it this W/E?

AndyP
    Free Member

no, no, no. Far too early.

Muke
    Free Member

Did ours today with high blade, bonus was mower fired up first time after being left outside all winter

Grizla
    Free Member

Did mine last weekend.

If you don’t keep on top of it, you risk it getting so long that it won’t dry properly.

Your mower won’t like long wet grass.

Besides, what’s the harm?

mt
    Free Member

I’m not ready yet!

ART

This weekend .. tis time to mow

stanfree
    Free Member

Did mine today , the first cut always shows a yellowish tinge on the grass. I have no idea why.

swamp_boy

Only if you’re thinking of photographing a bike and posting it on here.

And sweep the path and get the fence tidied up.

gwaelod
    Free Member

is this a lady garden question

soobalias
    Free Member

ive got a bike to ride, if that breaks, perhaps i will fire up the mower

Grizla
    Free Member

Tut tut, I doubt any of you will be watching Gardner’s World tonight either…

flip
    Free Member

My business is gardening and i’ve been mowing for 3 weeks now, had my first advert of the year in local free paper this week and got lots of quotes to see to over the weekend, so it’s all kicking off nicely 😉

TimP
    Free Member

I am a heathen with astro turf, so for that reason, I am out

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

First cut today

amodicumofgnar

The garden opposite my work was cut today – the smell of cut grass in early march, just wrong.

DickBarton

Nope, will wait until end of the month and review…grass hasn’t grown much over the winter…it looks like it needs a cut but not doing it yet…ground still wet so although upper grass will be dry, the newly-exposed stuff won’t be and I doubt it is ready to be the top thatch…I’m giving it another 3 weeks then I’ll give it a first sweep, leave for a week and give it a proper cut…

TheFopster
    Free Member

Last w/e. Thought about letting neighbour’s horse in to do it but clean-up issues put me off. Actually better yet she has some sheep – very neat at nibbling, are sheep. Might be worth a go?

flip
    Free Member

…grass hasn’t grown much over the winter..

Where do you live?

I’ve cut customers grass of 3″ or more, and thats after a last cut by me in mid November last year. Grass still grows in Winter just slowly.

MoreCashThanDash

Might do it this weekend if I can get a new blade for the mower – but have lots of riding planned first!

thekingisdead
    Free Member

i thought grass stopped growing when the diurnal temperature got below 6 deg C?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

but have lots of riding planned first!

And?…

flip
    Free Member

i thought grass stopped growing when the diurnal temperature got below 6 deg C?

Think it’s 5 deg, but we’ve had lots of mild weather over the winter.

DickBarton

I thought it was 7c but seriously, last cut was October and although it has grown it doesn’t look much longer…still a few weeks left before I start pretending to know how to tend my garden! Central Scotland.

Stoner
    Free Member

Central Scotland.

well there’s your problem right there.
    Nothing grows in scotland. Bunch of dwarves.

cheers_drive

I did mine last weekend as it was getting far too long. In Bristol BTW.
    The smell of freshly cut grass is one of the best.

DickBarton

6 foot dwarves but I’m not arguing with the name! Actually given I’m over 6 foot that probably explains why I’m not thinking the grass is long enough to cut…it isn’t at my ankles yet so nothing to worry about!

squiff
    Free Member

Yes did it last week some time when we had a nice day here in yorkshire.

Stoner
    Free Member

yer’all bastards. Now I have to go and mow the lawn tomorrow morning. I wanted to build my new bike…

Actually, best let the dew rise first eh. Mowing after lunch…

Bunnyhop

Mmmm may have to mow the grass and trim around the raised beds. Ours is a ‘tear drop’ shaped lawn so I end up being dizzy (no change there then) after.

higthepig
    Free Member

We know a song about this don’t we Zippy?

One man went to mow, went to mow his meadow
    One man and his dog Spot went to mow a meadow
    One man and his dog Spot went went to mow his meadow and loads of experts offered advice…………

Cut it if it is long and rue the missed opportunity of a bike ride 🙂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Got moss on mine.Any ideas on how to get rid of it.

theotherjonv

I’m thinking about it but would have to clear a load of catshit off first. Bastards.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I cut mine back in January and again last month, just a light trim each time to stop it getting too shaggy. It has been pretty mild this winter here in Somerset.

Alex

I shall be man with mower today due to chest-infected mouse-lung-no-riding-alternative. We used to have two lawns to mow, but the chickens have ‘harvested’ the other one. I was taken by that wild meadow idea until I realised the demented chooks would just eat whatever i sowed 😉

Bunnyhop

Alex – you can have the wild flower meadow. Just keep the hens off it until after the flowers have died down. The blooms don’t last too long away.

I bet you have a sit down mower, I’m a wee bit jealous 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘To mow or not to mow….’ is closed to new replies.