Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • …to Garmin or not to Garmin?
  • Premier Icon trisysjoint

I guess quite a few of you guys use gps on your bikes.
    Which one is best for putting OS maps onto for route following (gpx file) offroad?

Real world usage experiences needed here before I buy one in the jan sales

Thanks

Premier Icon LadyGresley
    Free Member

I have no experience of other brands, but my old Garmin Edge 800 with OS mapping has been brilliant.

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

Garmins are great until they go wrong and then they’re shite.

My 520 lasted about 12 months before the battery deteriorated to the point where it could do no more than 6 hours (with a couple of sensors paired) without getting the 20% warning sign.

Bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, far superior battery life, nicer user interface.

Premier Icon trisysjoint

@steve_b77 – what is the mapping like on the wahoo? as good as ordnance survey 1:50 ??

Premier Icon Merak
    Free Member

All the cool kids are using Wahoo now.

Premier Icon trisysjoint

The Wahoo does look nice but that 2 tone screen doesn’t seem to display the map as clearly as some of the full colour screen devices.
    Have any of you used the Wahoo for out in the wilds pre planned route following?
    Do you also need to convert gpx files to be compatible with the Wahoo?

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

“Bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, far superior battery life, nicer user interface.”

and how has that lasted beyond the 12 months ?

Premier Icon chakaping

I’d suggest the Garmin 520 Plus (must be the plus).

But only for route following, not navigating on the fly – they’re all a bit crap for that with the small screens.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Avoid the Garmin Edge series and buy an Etrex or Oregon.

Premier Icon scud

If you really need to see a lot of detail and need actual full OS mapping, then Etrex 20 or 30, if it is for the bike and for following a .gpx .tcx, then i agree that Wahoo Element is really good, battery life is good and the main thing is definitely the ease of which you control from app on phone and synching directly Komoot, RidewithGPS and the like, do a route in one, syncs directly with the other apps and then goes to headunit over Wifi or bluetooth, no weird software glitches and frustrations like Garmin bike units.

Premier Icon jobro
    Free Member

Avoid the Garmin Edge series and buy an Etrex or Oregon

Any particular Etrex/Oregon model suits cycling needs?

Premier Icon scotroutes

What are your cycling needs?

My Oregon will link to various external sensors (HR, Cadence etc) if that’s what you are after.

Premier Icon pdw
    Free Member

Bought a Bolt. Now sold and back to Garmin. They’re all pretty disappointing but for me, Garmin is still best of a bad bunch.

Premier Icon marcg868
    Free Member

Have a Garmin Edge 1000 since 2015. It’s mostly been a positive experience however since changing phones I’ve had nothing but connection problems, it’s not been syncing with the app, battery life has gone from lasting 4-5 rides a week to 1-2. Rides are between 1 and 2 hours.
    Updated it today and it’s finally syncing with the app but it’s hit and miss syncing with Strava.
    It’s got one more chance and if it refuses to work I’ll just buy a quad lock and use Strava again permanently. Refer to Google maps for directions when needed.

Premier Icon scotroutes

battery life has gone from lasting 4-5 rides a week to 1-2. Rides are between 1 and 2 hours.

Try changing the battery. I did this with an Edge 705 and it completely rejuvenated it.

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

I have (had*) a Garmin 510 for on-road use and an Oregon for off-road. I’ve both OS and OSM maps loaded on the Oregon so can choose which to use. Battery life is in the 18-20hr range depending on your settings and how often you look at the map. Takes AA batteries so easy to carry spares, if you use rechargeables then there’s a trick so that you don’t need to buy Garmin’s overpriced battery pack to allow you to charge the batteries in-situ. It will link to HR and cadence sensors plus temp sensor but not power meters. It’s fairly bulky and the bike mount, that you need to buy seperately, isn’t as good as the quarter lock turn of the Edge series.

* my 510 lasted 7 or 8 years until recently when it threw a tantrum, lost the ride I was doing and then reset itself so back to stupid units and apparently I’m a 4000lb, 4’10” tall 8yr old😂 I was still getting 12hrs (at least) of riding out of a charge

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘…to Garmin or not to Garmin?’ is closed to new replies.