To Canon 70D or not? Opinions please…

Home Forum Chat Forum To Canon 70D or not? Opinions please…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • To Canon 70D or not? Opinions please…
  • rosscopeco

Currently thinking of replacing my canon 40D and 2 x good lenses for something that can do HD movies as well as all the usual SLR stuff.

I’ve been waiting for the new Canon 70D which obviously got announced this week but in the interim I began to read some of the reviews for mirror less interchangeable lens models similar to the current EOS M.

Given that I’m an enthusiastic amateur and that I like to fettle with things, some of these mirror less cameras offer almost the same spec as the new 70D.

Has anyone gone down the mirror less interchangeable lens route instead of the traditional DSLR route? What’s your opinions? It is worth swapping everything out for?

speed12

If your shooting video then the 70Ds new sensor has a HUGE advantage over anything else on the market – phase detect autofocus over the entire (almost) sensor surface. This means you can pick ANY focus point and get proper, quick, non-hunting AF rather than slow contrast detect or being stuck with AF points. In this respect it even beats the Sony SLTs which were previously the best way to get phase detect in video/live view.

I certainly wouldn’t go the EOS-M route yet. Current one is just too slow and half hearted. I’d be very surprised if Canon didn’t put e 70D sensor in the next EOS-M model as it is almost as if it was designed for it (and in some ways probably was). If you wanted to go mirror less, then the Pamasonic GH3 was pretty much designed for video and has had great reviews in that regards. Brilliant selection of lenses as well.

But 70D does certainly seem like an impressive bit of kit!

organic355

I was waiting for the 70D for ages for my 1st DSLR, got bored waiting and got the 700D a few months ago.

70D looks impressive, but I think I will wait until the new sensor & tech trickles up to the 7Dmk2 or the 70D drops in price, over £1000 is too much at the moment for body only, and I already have the 18-55STM with my 700D.

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

The 70D will be £1000 body-only though.
    I was tempted for a few minutes until I realised that the only reason I wanted a 60D was the £450 price tag.

It’s worth noting that not many of the pro MTB videos you see use focussing during shooting (same for cinema-cameras). They use planning and editing instead. This is a little different to camcorders.

In theory the 70D could be the first DSLR to offer both styles of shooting.

5thElefant

I have both DSLR and mirrorless.

I wouldn’t ditch the DSLR just yet. None can cope with AF on anything that moves. They’re all somewhat fiddly to use (which I can’t see changing).

Getting a mirrorless as a second system has a lot going for it. If you want to use your canon lenses forget the EOS M, it’s awful. A decent version may appear but at the moment the Sony Nex is the best camera for Canon lenses.

Canon AF adpaters are available for the NEX. AF is slow (as it is on the EOS M) but focus peaking makes manual focus easy, on video too. Not that AF is particularly useful on video anyway. If you have FF lenses you can get “speed booster” adapters that give a FF field of view on the aps-c sensor with all the depth of field and superior low light capabilities you’d get with a FF sensor.

speed12

{Edit #3…thought you could PM….apparently you can’t…}

Shameless derail…(but vaguely on topic…)

AlexSimon, I actually have a less than year old (bought in November) 60D with a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, flash, plus bag and other bits for sale for not much more than that….let me know if interested!

Back on topic..

Hadn’t realised the 70D was going to be quite as much as that. It is quite a lot of spec for the money – essentially you are getting the guts of a 7D, the body of a 60D/700D, and the fancy new live view AF. If video is your thing then it is arguably the best body on the market for it.

Having said that, as others have said, the majority of video would actually use manual or set focus and good editing, rather than AF, but I suppose it depends what you are trying to record. The 70D would offer everything any other body would in terms of video, but with the addition of the fancy AF if you needed it. Really does depend on what you are after. Mirrorless isn’t QUITE there yet IMO (apart from said GH3 which is meant to be rather good for video).

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

speed12 – I need to sell the 40D first – was on here and now on avforums. Might end up having to ebay it 🙁

I wouldn’t ditch the DSLR just yet. None can cope with AF on anything that moves. They’re all somewhat fiddly to use (which I can’t see changing).

+1

I also wouldn’t buy a Canon while Nikons are available too. 😉

speed12

speed12 – I need to sell the 40D first – was on here and now on avforums. Might end up having to ebay it

It’s not technically ‘for sale’ as yet – so it won’t be going anywhere any time soon. Was still toying with keeping it (upgraded to a 6D which is why I’m getting rid of it..possibly..) but probably won’t. If you manage to sell your 40D in the nearish future then give me a shout (think my email is in my profile…if not I’ll bung it there..) and I’ll probably still have it!

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

None [of the mirrorless cameras] can cope with AF on anything that moves

I thought the Nikon one does?

5thElefant

I stand corrected. What I should have said is none of them with a large sensor can cope with AF on anything that moves…

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

hmmm – that 70D does look like a bit of a game-changer:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LmMR6FwUE#at=161[/video]

(although touching the screen to change focus is going to require a very steady tripod).

5thElefant

hmmm – that 70D does look like a bit of a game-changer:

Not particularly as Sony have had this for a couple of years.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Yeah, but what kind of fanboi gives credit to other brands? 🙂

rosscopeco

£1K for body only seems…eye watering?! Can anyone remember how much the 60D was when it first came out?

Marmoset

It doesn’t seem that much considering I paid 800 quid for a 350d kit all those years ago(8 I think), I’d have gladly paid another 200 notes for the video etc. back then

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

molgrips – Member

Yeah, but what kind of fanboi gives credit to other brands?
    🙂 – actually after that post, I went and had a look at some Sony videos, because I’m not very familiar with them.

Looks good. They haven’t done as tidy a job on the focus transitions. The canon one in that video looks very natural – very similar to a manual focus pull (with easing).
    From what I can see of the Sony – it’s more instant and intrusive.

But that’s from viewing 2 manufacturer-videos, so probably not akin to using both systems. It will be interesting reading the write-ups. Too expensive for me.

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

rosscopeco – Member

£1K for body only seems…eye watering?! Can anyone remember how much the 60D was when it first came out?
    About £850 I think. Although because it didn’t really offer enough over the 600D, 50D and 40D, it didn’t stay at that for long.

5thElefant

– actually after that post, I went and had a look at some Sony videos, because I’m not very familiar with them.
    Looks good. They haven’t done as tidy a job on the focus transitions. The canon one in that video looks very natural – very similar to a manual focus pull (with easing).
    From what I can see of the Sony – it’s more instant and intrusive.

But that’s from viewing 2 manufacturer-videos, so probably not akin to using both systems. It will be interesting reading the write-ups. Too expensive for me.
    Yeah, it’s technological leapfrog. Sony’s current technology is about to be replaced.

Interesting times.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘To Canon 70D or not? Opinions please…’ is closed to new replies.