Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • To all those with stairs that creak..
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

This is the way to do it. Polyurethane glue and 12mm ply on the risers. Cannot believe how well it has worked. No more post pub ninja required!

alpin
    Free Member

Lovely stuff PU glue…. Rubber glove Job!

bikebouy
    Free Member

That looks like an installation in the Tate.

Mark

Done the same thing here. I can sneak around the house now

bedmaker

How very satisfying!

I built my own house six yaears ago now, I had a team of joiners in to do it.
    One job I did myself though was to lay the upstairs flooring while they were off doing something else. Mucho glue and OTT screwing means that the floor is silent. Stairs were also PU’d to death. I hate a squeaky floor!

One of the neighbours got some real cowboy builders in. Along with the fancy sockets and pretty kitchen appliances, they have an upstairs that screeches with every single footstep….it would drive me nuts.

footflaps

Interesting solution. Our stairs creak a lot, but then they are 120+ years old…

I might try applying it from the underside as I don’t have to take up the carpet to do that….

wrightyson
    Free Member

These are about 100 years old and were totally shagged. Absolutely creak free now. To be honest I was hopeful it would work but am I genuinely chuffed it’s gone so well.

maccruiskeen

He’ll be furious when he finds out its actually his shoes that were squeaky 🙂

Rubber glove Job!

Always worth having some wd40 on hand too – you can use it to clean any PU off your skin if you get to it before it sets.

senorj

Like.:-)

righog
    Free Member

Thanks…I will try this before the new carpet goes down…I screwed the hell out of the two sqeelers with no effect…This just might work 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mines were squeaky

I clad with 18mm oak nailed and glued.

No creek at all

project
    Free Member

if you can get access under stairs and theyre not plasterboarded, expanding foam works well on all the joints.

and O/P get a handrail fitted, 2 of my ex neighbours died after falling down the stairs in seperate houses, one fell against front door, fire brigade had to cut door in half to get to her, sadly she had died , and the other neighbour fell down stairs and through a plate glass window at side of front door, and a customers dad died falling backwards downstairs after missing his footing, hit his head on a radiator at bottom of stairs and died.

Serious injuries occur on stairs

jkomo

I had to open cut a hole in the wall to get under the stairs. Hammered all the wedges back in, and it worked on all but one step. An extra plus is that we’ve uncovered a big cupboard sized space to do up.

JAG

But now you’ll never hear the Burglers/Murderers/Bad men creeping up the stairs in the middle of the night 😆

…but I bet it’s very satisfying climbing a silent set of stairs 8)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Fix the creaky stairs? No way would I be giving up that tactical advantage.

I can negotiate our 120 year old staircase in complete silence, a feat none of my kids have ever been able to master.

I regularly catch them up to no good as a result.

somouk
    Free Member

Just walk up the edges like the burglars do instead of in the middle where it creaks.

I’d love to do this to mine, is the 12mm on the riders to replace the risers or to support them some more?

DrP

Forget creaks as an alert…we’ve got PIR stair lights to warn if the kids are coming up during ‘cuddle time’…

DrP

GrahamS

Fix the creaky stairs? No way would I be giving up that tactical advantage.

Yup. You’ve really up the stakes on a sly danger****.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I’ve got tons of brackets left over from a previous project. It’s lashing down with rain outside, so lets go!
    Thanks for the tip!

wrightyson
    Free Member

The 12mm over boards the existing risers, plenty of pu glue letting a good fillet of it into the existing riser/tread meeting point. I average cut them all then planed to suit. All were slightly oversized then hammered in so as to keep it tight as possible, then the pu glue works it’s magic. Ours were that bad even treading on the very outer edges would create a creak to wake the dead.

somouk
    Free Member

Mine seem to have a groove cut in the tread that the riser sits in to and it seems all the risers aren’t quite big enough which is causing the treads to move and causing a creak or bang. Seems I can take you approach and reinforce the riser with some ply or take the treads off and glue all the tops of the risers and screw the treads to them.

Now i’ve taken some carpet it up it certainly looks like I have a job for this weekend now!

funkmasterp

Nice job OP, but am I the only one that actually likes creaky floors?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t take the treads off. A world of pain will ensue. Give the risers a dose of looking at first.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How will boyfriend get in daughter’s room undetected now?

avdave2

Looks like a lot of effort that, much easier solution

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘To all those with stairs that creak..’ is closed to new replies.