Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • TLD A2 MIPS helmet – can you mount a Joystick on it ?
  • iainc

Thinking about trying one of these, not sure if the vents are Joystick mount friendly though ?

tjagain

only iof you want to stop the mips from being effective.

iainc

How’s that then ? On my previous Montaro the Joystick plate sat between the polystyrene and the mips liner. The TLD vents may be a problem, shape wise, looking at pics of it though

Poopscoop

Post a question on CRC and see if they know?

Worth a shot?

iainc

Just done that, cheers.

davosaurusrex

Mate has a joystick mounted on his A2, sits to one side obviously but he’s not complained about it or been faffing with it mid ride. And god knows he faffs with everything else for no reason…..

iainc

Good info, thanks

tjagain

What is the point of having a MIPs helmet if you mount a light on it?  IIRC the joystick mount is pretty rigid.
    I do use a helmet light but its held on with thin o rings so it will break away very easily and is very low profile.

davosaurusrex

Tj  – you can mount the clamp so it sits against the helmet shell, the movement of the mips liner isn’t affected

iainc

tj, are you familiar with the exposure mount ? The light pops out of it with minimal resistance and the mount breaks away on a plastic bolt.

iainc

dave – I said the same a few posts up, but remember this is a helmet thread and TJ is on it…… 😀

tjagain

I thought the mount was more rigid than that ie the mount fixing to the helmet  I knew the torch popped out but thought it left the mounting in there.   If a rigid mount hits the gound first the MIPs cannot work as intended.

I seriously think helmet mounted cameras and lights could be dangerous.

edit

is this helmet different to the original ones where it was the outer shell slipped on the poly?

jam-bo

I seriously think helmet mounted cameras and lights could be dangerous.

so why do you use one?

iainc

tj, the MIPS is a liner between the main helmet and your head, so the rotation happens in there. I do agree with you about helmet lights possibly reducing some of the safety features however riding tecky stuff in the dark with just bar light is likely an even higher risk of crashing in the first place in my case !

gaviscon
    Free Member

If you can’t, exposure do a go pro 3 prong interface mount. So could use one of those with stick on go pro mount.

tjagain

jambo – I use one held on with rubber bands and is very small and low profile so it will come off the helmet very easity.  Its a compromise.  I wouldnt use one with a rigid mount or one that sat up high on the helmet

Ta Ian – different to the original ones than

iainc

Ordered one from Wiggle to see if it fits, thanks for ideas.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Tj, the joystick mount uses a plastic  bolt. Any force on the helmet which is enough to cause injury and the bolt just snaps. Probably safer than o rings.

cardo

Just got an A2 and yes the mount will fit between the shell and the MIPS liner with no problem. The vents are bigger than the A1 but this hasn’t been an issue.

singlespeedstu

Got a joystick mounted on my A1 with a sticky Gopro mount.

No reason it wouldn’t also mount on my A2 mips.

iainc

Helmet arrived today, and jolly nice and comfy it is too 😀. Think it may be a keeper !

….and joystick mount fits ok towards rear and better nearer front,

singlespeedstu

You might find you can’t angle it up enough if it’s mounted via the joystick mount on the front.

iainc

That’s a good point, thanks. May look into an adhesive Exposure mount and keep it central..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘TLD A2 MIPS helmet – can you mount a Joystick on it ?’ is closed to new replies.