Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 192 total)
  • Tjs recovery ride: advice, routes, rides n beer
  • tjagain

In Inverness now having ridden ncn7 today.

scotroutes

You didn’t fancy the Garbole road then?

tjagain

No. Too many memories and it would have been climbing into the wind

tjagain

Today i rode from Inverness to Drumnadrochit. Unexpected horrid climb on the great glen way but also a fabulous unexpected single track descent that was great if a wee bit butt clechinly scary in places. Best days riding for a long time

20220521-1413510

Poopscoop

Fantastic tj!

Keep us updated and it’s great you had an epic ride today.

tjagain

Camped up beside loch Oich. Tough headwinds today but the first day with less than a thousand fet of climbing. Fort William tomorrow

[url=https://postimages.org/]host images online free[/url]

matt_outandabout

Ace looking camp spot.

tjagain

Fort William tonight where the lovely Jojo (occasionally of this place) is looking after me
    [url=https://gasstation-nearme.com/]nearest fuel station to my location[/url]

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Likes. Likes a lot. North Bucks twixt Milton Keynes and Buckingham if you’re ever in the area.

tjagain

Getting the Camusnagaul ferry from FW in a bit. Gentle potter down to the Corran ferry and back across. Ballachulish or kinlochleven tonight. Hoping to meet some folk for beers

molgrips
    Free Member

Can we have a kit list? How are you charging your phone?

tjagain

Phone charging has been a pain. I do have a pwer pack so can go 3 days. Charged it all at jojos last night but have also had to use plugs in toilet blocks
    Kit list blooming heck. Ill take a photo when i camp up tonight

molgrips
    Free Member

You want a solar charger, that’s what you want. Bit heavy though.

Something like this – you flip out the panels, stick it on top of your trailer and it charges its own battery during the day. Then you plug in at night and recharge.

tjagain

In Scotland?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Probably better with a dynamo 🤣

molgrips
    Free Member

Or if you want reliability, there’s an Anker folding panel only that you can plug into your own battery. Just done a calculation on the efficiency.

It says it’s 70x34cm unfolded, less a bit for borders. Assuming 20% efficiency and you’re at 50N ish, that’d give a peak of about 40W on a sunny day. If you integrate for the angle of the sun from 0-180 degrees over say 12hrs (it’s more than that in summer obvs) I make that about 80Wh of power that you could generate, in Scotland, in the sunshine. Li-ion batteries charge at near 100% (apparently) so I’m going to say 80Wh of available power in to the battery, which is about 6,600 mAh. Plenty for a phone, on a sunny day (which is about 3,000 mAh ish, and that’s a conservative estimate since you have more than 12h of light – much more, in Scotland. As you move south later in the year there’d be less daylight but more chance of sun and higher intensity. And even if it’s not enough on dull days, you can still get some, and it’d make your power bank last longer. You might only need to charge it every 10 days instead of 3.

Yes, he’d be way better off with a dynamo but he’s already on his way, so that might be harder to organise 🙂

EDIT someone check my maths I have forgotten how to integrate

tjagain

First time i have relied on elektrickery for navigation.

Not seen much sun this trip

BikePawl
    Free Member

Surely for Scotland, a waterwheel would be better than a sun collector 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I have ballsed up this maths a lot so ignore those numbers.

mugsys_m8

Not sure if it works for you TJ, but as an avid reader, more than poster for the ohhhhhh….18 years or so I have been hanging around here would be really happy to share a few beers with you, have a chat in person and offer you somewhere to stay and a wee ride. Based in the Chartreuse mountains. Between Grenoble and Chambery.

tjagain

Mugsey beware i might turn up

mugsys_m8

Au top!

tjagain

I think this might be how horror stories start. Tartanscarf has invited me to stay in his bothy in the woods. He and the great ape promise me “a good time” tonight. Is that banjos i hear?

tjagain

Its actually a really nice bunkhouse. Well recommended. Glencoe independent hostel
    I think i will be safe

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is that banjos i hear?

Don’t worry, the sound of the feral dogs will soon drown that out.

mugsys_m8

ha ha excellent.

@tjagain
    : sent you a message

tjagain

The great ape and tartan scarf. Bought me beer nice chaps

thegreatape
    Free Member

Nice to meet you in person after all these years. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

tjagain

Ta

tartanscarf

Enjoyed that last night, sorry I had to cut it short! Great to meet you, might see you this morning if you’re not away bright and early in the drizzle :0

tjagain

Ta. Slow start for me today. Its foul out there

Nice to meet you guys and have a bleather and the bunkhouse is very nice

matt_outandabout

Where are you tonight @tjagain?

tjagain

Not decided yet. Brudge of orchy ish or oban ish deoending if i can face glencoe

wingnuts

This is an inspiring thread. A great personal adventure and the kindness of strangers.

If you are passing near Stony Stratford (Milton Keynes, North Bucks, South Northants) please call in. B&B&Beer available. Let me know when you’re Netherlands bound as we’ve got family and regularly there. Blaricum just east of Amsterdam. They can also provide accommodation – luxurious accommodation and beer! I’d be happy to join you for a poodle from the ferries if you are going in that direction.

Keep posting this is wonderful!

tjagain

Thanks for that wingnuts.

I was wondering if i was boring you all or if this would be seen just as an ego stroking thread.

Ill carry on updating if folk are still interested

wingnuts

Well you’re not so keep doing the job!

scotroutes

Oban direction has the advantage of NCN78. Cafe at Benderloch.

I guess it depends on where you’re headed next 😃

weeksy

Don’t worry about boring us, but some nice pics wouldn’t go amiss.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was wondering if i was boring you all or if this would be seen just as an ego stroking thread.

No it’s good. The ego stroking ones are the pages of existential verbiage. This just feels like keeping up with what you’re up to, it’s about right. We need to show you how to get photos on the thread though.

scotroutes

We need to show you how to get photos on the thread though.

But only after we’ve solved the phone recharging issue 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 192 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.