Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 385 total)
  • TJs recovery ride 2 – Ayrshire and Ireland
  • tjagain

Apparently there were defenses built in ireland during ww2. Every day is a school day

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_W

tjagain

This morning I feel utterly shit. Major night sweats last night. Generalised fatigue. Pins and needles. It something that has plagued me for decades. Never found any cause beyond possible vit d deficiency or possible galloping hypochondria 🙄🤣.

I shall get a load of electolytes and vit d into me and do very little today and hopefully that settles it. No alcohol for me either.

Bollox.

tjagain

The sports shop had no electrolytes. I had to get some from the woo woo medicine shop. Totally natural extracted from a salt lake 🙄.

Also some vitamin and trace elements mix and some high dose vit d

Hope it does something

tjagain

Well this morning I feel brand new.

There is certainly something metabolic lurking in the background but i have never been able to be sure what tho Vit d seems at least a part of the answer. Its certainly not just a question of fitness given the night sweats and finger tingling that goes with the fatigue crashes. Whats going on between the ears also clearly could be involved.

My guess is i ran low on both vit d and electrolytes. Its difficult to keep up a good diet and i had run out of vit d a week ago( I take it every day usually)

So back on high dose vit d and a bit more care with diet and lets see. I also had been 9 days without a day off the bike.

Today its off to Dungarven and the greenway to waterford.

tjagain

Saccades

Kind offer but i seem to be ok again. Be nice to meet up tho if / when I pass thru your patch.

highlandman
    Free Member

Enjoy Dungarvan and wave at my parents as you go past, please.. They’re in a house up a hill on your left.
    There’s a couple of grand wee pubs down by the harbour and cafes in the town square. And a tiny wee bike shop just across the bridge, near the start of the Greenway. Hope you have a grand day.

matt_outandabout

Glad you’re feeling better TJ.
    How many times on this thread can I say I’m jealous?

northshoreniall

Good hear you’re feeling brighter, look after yourself- we won’t be able to fantasy bike ride through Ireland without you 😁

squirrelking
    Free Member

Glad you’re sorted back out, onwards and upwards!

molgrips
    Free Member

Also some vitamin and trace elements mix and some high dose vit d

This is a good idea I reckon. I take a bog standard multivitamin and mineral pill most days just as backup, and I certainly would in your situation.

tjagain

20 miles done by lunchtime and feeling goooood

Well apart from having Canned Heat “On the road again” stuck in my head🙄🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️😎

molgrips
    Free Member

If there were any situation that would make me consider bone conducting headphones and some sort of radio or music, it’d be a long solo tour because I often get songs stuck in my head and it does sometimes drive me potty. Well, that and 24hr racing. I used to listen to Radio 4 and the World Service doing those.

tjagain

I cannt cope with music or radio when riding. More of my oddities😎

molgrips
    Free Member

No I normally can’t stand it either.

tjagain

On the greenway now but stopped for a coffee at a coffee van. Its great but covered with wobblers on hire bikes

tjagain

Decisions decisions. Campsite i was aiming for is one mile from here and its only 3pm and im enjoying my days ride. Next one is 25 miles. Hmmmmmmmm

molgrips
    Free Member

Crack on, obviously.

mert
    Free Member

Just passed a couple on a recumbent tandem, fully panniered up, plus trailer (of course).

No top bag though, they had a little yappy dog in a wicker dog cage strapped to the top of the rack…

German flag on the trailer. 😂

tjagain

Curse you molgrips. I didn’t get to the campsite until 7pm.🙄🤣 65 miles today

More Irish randomness. I got to the campsite to be told the website that says tent camping on site is out of date and they no longer do tents. ” that was last year” I must have looked tired and pathetic tho because the found me a spot with typical Irish loveliness🤣👌&

Burger van on site as well so i didn’t have to cook.

Ill do some pics in a bit

tjagain

[url=https://suwalls.com/quotes/huey-freeman-the-boondocks]huey freeman wallpaper[/url]
    Something lost in translation?

Hipster coffee vans have got to Ireland

Passage east ferry

tjagain

[url=https://suwalls.com/anime/dragon-ball-z-10]cell jr wallpaper[/url]

matt_outandabout

Bloomin brilliant.

tjagain

How many times on this thread can I say I’m jealous?

Of a broken old man?🤣🙄😎🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️

gordimhor

Looks like decent weather today, definitely better than Fort William anyway

molgrips
    Free Member

I got to the campsite to be told the website that says tent camping on site is out of date and they no longer do tents. ” that was last year”

Glad they let you stay, I’d have been fuming otherwise if it were me. How else are you meant to know they don’t take tents?

Poopscoop

Incredible adventure.

One day. One day.

tjagain

I think you are supposed to phone but clueless me ended up not being able to phone an irish number. Well i did get an irish sim but never fitted it🙄

tjagain

I have just checked the ferry times from Rosslare. Ruddy inconvenient. Either 7am which means very early start even if camped nearby or late afternoon whick means arriving at 10 pm.

Bollox

highlandman
    Free Member

Alternatives: buy a pedalo and continue riding and pedalling eastwards until you hit Wales..?
    Just don’t forget to get an extra rubber ring for the trailer.

mert
    Free Member

More Irish randomness. I got to the campsite to be told the website that says tent camping on site is out of date and they no longer do tents. ” that was last year” I must have looked tired and pathetic tho because the found me a spot with typical Irish loveliness🤣👌

Was the same when i toured the south with an ex. Several times we’d find somewhere that had either decided not to be a campsite anymore, or given up on being a BnB, or wasn’t serving food because “reasons”.

Not once did it actually cause a problem.

“You can pitch your tent in the garden round the side of the house, i’ll leave the side door open and you can use the bathroom downstairs”

“You can use the spare room anyway” or “I’ll call the next place along the road and see if they can get you in”

“I’ll get me daughter to rustle something up at home and bring it over” or “the chippies open, i’ll nip over and grab you some if thats ok?”

This was obviously long before widespread internet access in rural Ireland…

tjagain

Lol at highlandman

Mert. Thats sort of whats been happening to me. Lovely folk if a bit random. The owner of the campsite offered me food last night. The best one was when i was sat in a farm entrance having a break. Farmers wife drove in. Stopped to check I was ok and then offered me a cup of tea when told I was just taking a break. Often the only places to get off the road are feild and farm entrances

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you are supposed to phone but clueless me ended up not being able to phone an irish number.

There are phone plans that let you roam without too much expense. I can get silly amounts of data and free roaming across the EU, USA and a few others for £25/mo I think, SIM only. Yes, not the cheapest plan, but it beats farting about with foreign traveller SIMs.

tjagain

I can phone uk under roaming and use data but not phone ireland from ireland

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I hope you’re keeping a log/diary of each day TJ. By the time you get back home there’ll be enough to write a book.
    ‘Round Ireland & Europe With a Saltire’?
    Keep the reports coming in!

highlandman
    Free Member

The country roads are funny, aren’t they? No spare space, it’s all coos and grass, everywhere. Or hedges. Sorry ‘Ditches’; in the far south they call upright hedges/bushes/bocage, ditches for some unknown reason. Anyway, every scrap of ground is in use.

On my folks land near Dungarvan, there’s a great big stone altar hidden behind one of these ditches, local history describes it as a place of worship when various church factions were out of step with each other and some had to hide their activity. You could hide a small army behind some of these ditches; I think they did, during the war of independence, around 1920..

We had very similar hospitality experiences when bike touring around the south; looking after random visitors is definitely a thing.

kilo

I get this occasionally, using the full international dialing code for Ireland seems to work.

Re the ferry, we usually overnight at Rosslare, hotel rather than camp though – plenty catering for the ferry trade in the area. Getting of a boat late at night is grim.

matt_outandabout

I have just checked the ferry times from Rosslare. Ruddy inconvenient. Either 7am which means very early start even if camped nearby or late afternoon whick means arriving at 10 pm.

Are you into Santander or Bilbao? Having been there last week, I can point you at some nice grass for a late camp into either city, only a few mins from Ferry…

molgrips
    Free Member

You are adding the +353 aren’t you?

Cougar

International dialling from anywhere to anywhere else using any SIM: a primer.

Historically, to dial internationally you need [local international access code] + [destination country code] + [regular number dropping any leading zero]. From the UK and from many (but not all) other countries the access code is 00. The country code for the UK is 44, and RoI is 353. So eg dialling an RoI number of 01234 567890 from the UK you’d dial 00 353 1234567890.

Enter mobiles. You can’t guarantee that you’ll always be in the same country so the access code could change from 00. So, there’s a shortcut for that, the plus symbol. Using this the number above becomes +353…

Plot twist: this works everywhere, even on domestic calls (eg a regular UK to UK using a UK SIM). If instead of entering someone’s phone number as 01234… in your contacts you were to save it as +44 1234… then it will always Just Work no matter which country you’re in. This is how every number in my address book is stored.

tjagain

Ta

Every day is a school day

Todays earworm
    Shang a lang. Ffs

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 385 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.