Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 385 total)
  • TJs recovery ride 2 – Ayrshire and Ireland
  • tjagain

Another day of headwinds and rain and same forecast for the next few days. Bugger this I’m bailing. My pal is going to pick me up tomorrow for the last 120 miles to his house. 56 miles into a headwind again today.

Caher

Azores high will develop for next weekend, but maybe too late for you.

tjagain

Second breakfast

Athlone castle.

Yet another wee lane

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tjagain

Serious chuch. Whats with the domes?

tjagain

Caher. Ill be riding then hundreds of miles from home apart from anything else and i have to go to wales to scatter a few bolts under moleys car😈😎🤣

molgrips
    Free Member

Serious chuch. Whats with the domes?

They are a standard feature of churches outside the Norman/British Gothic tradition. See also St Paul’s, it has a dome, it was based on Italian classical designs.

tjagain

Right. I was thinking russian or greek orthodox

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually, make the dome much bigger and put columns around it, that’s basically the same design as St Paul’s. Those London churches were all designed at the same time, early c18th (obvs) which is when people were going on tours and admiring classical architecture, which is why they all look like that and not like traditional churches.

Tagging @SaxonRider

tjagain

Every days a school day

Quick sit rep. Apart from being fed up with headwinds its actually going well. Bike is still really comfy. Bit of a creak from the eccentric bb which needs to be dealt with . It started after a really wet day so I think strip and grease will be fine. Nothing else has needed to be touched. Chain still has a bit of putoline left and has not needed adjustment.

Rest of the kit is all fine. I’ve used everything ( bar spares and repairs) and forgotten nothing. Loving my custom trekkertent. Happy to have chosen the trailer for its lack of parachute effect in these headwinds

Legs feeling good tho I was tired today. I think a bit short on calories and water didnt help but the water from Athlone was disgusting. 55 miles into a headwind tho. 600 ish miles in total. Even climbing hills has not been too bad tho you certainly notice the weight. My trousers are now slack on the waist and tight on the thighs 😎

Head. Feeling good. I still feel a bit like I’m just going thru the motions and i have struggled with decisions ( Julie and I became very good at making the right call between us) and i have made a couple of fortuatly unimportant duff calls but overall i feel positve and have enjoyed much of the trip so far

Arse. I feel like its had a good kicking. Just a bit bruised

More to follow after a few days R&R at my pals

jodafett

Loving this thread 👍🏼👍🏼

What are you using to lube re-wax the chain? Reason I ask is I’ve started waxing the chain but wondered what to do on long distance trips?

tjagain

I haven’t taken anything. I find it lasts a few weeks touring. Hoping to redo it at molgrips

tjagain

Glad someone is enjoying me flogging thru wind and rain 🤣🙄

iainc

😁🤪

tjagain

Coffee on in the rain

jodafett

Glad someone is enjoying me flogging thru wind and rain 🤣🙄

🤣😉

tjagain

The next stage starts today. I have been chilling at my pals house for a few days but its time to move again.

I missed out on the Atlantic coast on my way south because of the rain so i am going to ride the ring of Kerry then head across Ireland to Rosslaire for a ferry to wales. 10 days ish before I get the ferry.

Weather is looking better and all feels good.

Dickyboy

Bon voyage TJ 👍

gordimhor

Enjoying this thread TJ, hope you get some better weather.

leffeboy

Did you ever resolve your question of what lock to get for traveling?

weeksy

TJ, you know what i’d like, a bit of a map/route thing so we can see where you are, where you’re going a bit more visually.

ElShalimo

@tjagain – if the weather is good, the Beara Peninsula is much quieter than the Ring of Kerry and many say it’s nicer. Not sure what it’s like on a bike though ‘cos we drove it

andy4d

Ring of kerry is a nice, if busy, spot. When you are heading to the ferry there is a good greenway from Dungarvan to Waterford.

matt_outandabout

Ring of Kerry has a nice, ahem, ring to it… 👍

Where does the Rosslare ferry then take you?

tjagain

Did you ever resolve your question of what lock to get for traveling?

Yes. I took a decent padlock and a 1m cable. 700g.

tjagain

Weeksey. A map is beyond what this old duffer can manage

Elshalimo don’t say that. I had made a decision

Andy ta for that. Good to know

Matt fishguard i think in south Wales

molgrips
    Free Member

fishguard i think in south Wales

Due to one of those weird naming conventions it’s actually in West Wales and not South Wales 🙂

ElShalimo

You’ll have a great time either way

Have fun!!

kilo

If you cycle the ring of Kerry road route it helps if you can go clockwise, all the coaches go anti-clockwise .

There’s also a ring of Kerry cycle route which is a far nicer ride than the normal road route

https://www.discoverireland.ie/kerry/the-ring-of-kerry-cycle-route

highlandman
    Free Member

Doolin for the traditional music scene, if you’re still that far north and west, Co Clare.
    The flying boat museum at Foynes is worth a visit.
    Second vote for the Dungarvan – Waterford green route, have used it and there’s a nice pub half way along. I’ve family down there and we’ve toured in much the same way you used to, heading there from here in NE Scotland, tandem & trailer. Straight into a headwind!? Yeah, I can still remember doing the stage from Athlone down to Dungarvan in one day, that was a toughie.

craig24
    Free Member

Following this thread and loving it, looks incredible. I’m in Wigan, if passing at any point and I can help at all then just send me a message.

tjagain

Craig. I will be passing through leigh. Beware

tjagain

Bugger bollox. Bearing on the trailer had seized. I’ve freed it off an oiled it but its going to bug me until I replace it. Rumbley bearings make me shudder

slowol

I cycled round the ring of Kerry about 25 years ago. Seem to remember the villages we camped the in being lovely and quiet in the evenings when the tourist buses left.
    As well as going clockwise (depends on which general direction you’re heading) I seem to remember that the busses came in waves. Late start so that they had already stopped at intermediate destination for lunch, then take a late lunch and finish riding late afternoon avoided the worst of the herd.
    As you head East from the ring I recommend getting the ferry from Schull to Cape Clear island (you can camp there) and then ferry on to Baltimore. Saves coming inland, quieter roads and the ferry pedals a few miles for you.
    Enjoy!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve freed it off an oiled it but its going to bug me until I replace it. Rumbley bearings make me shudder

Want me to try and order in some parts? If you let me know the make/model of trailer or hub I can take a look.

Cougar

You know TJ,

Did you ever consider sponsorship? A gofundme / justgiving page for a related charity? I rather suspect that there might be a few folk willing to bung you a few quid even if it’s just to stand you a coffee.

tjagain

Molgrips. Ta mate its a stock cartridge bearing so i hope to get one before

tjagain

Cougar. Nope. Im firmly against doing fun things for charity

tjagain

Ta slowol

bigblackshed

50 miles into a headwind + rain ≠ fun

YMMV though. 😉

andy4d

TJ I am in North Cork but could maybe meet you in the city when you pass if you need any help/tools for the bearing or are you needing it fixed sooner?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 385 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.