Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 385 total)
  • TJs recovery ride 2 – Ayrshire and Ireland
  • tjagain

Camped in nowheresville NI. Todays bam ( whats irish / northern irish for bam?) Has a Stalwart in his shed

tjagain

Anyone any clues about routes across NI? Im at the southeast corner of lough neagh and vaguely heading for the west coast. Anyone?

Saccades
    Free Member

Try on Boards.ie

Ireland’s biggest cycle forum

Not my neck of the woods.

seosamh77
    Free Member

there’s the sustrans routes, doesn’t look like anything specifically off road heading west.

https://explore.osmaps.com/?overlays=os-ncn-layer&lat=54.659368&lon=-7.138436&zoom=8.0058&style=Standard&type=2d

tjagain

Ta

I have the sustrans map. It just I was concentrated on getting here not what to while i am here 😀

Ie i dont know what are the nice places to visit. Time for some random ness

nealc
    Free Member

Head North to the magilligan ferry onto Inishowen (malin head) the mooch south along the coast via the Loch swilly ferry?

prontomonto

If you’re on FB, Touring and Bikepacking Ireland group should be able to help.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Sorry tj never really done the touristy thing in Ireland so not much help to you. I generally just visit people when over.

Keep us up to date though. Great trip you are doing!

A big wee adventure into the unknown! 😆

Caher

Do you use komoot, as there are a good few routes from the Neagh are into the Republic? I’d say Ride with GPS will have the same.

donncha

Here are a few nice places to visit, have a google and see what takes your fancy:

Dingle, Slea Head Drive, Inch beach,
    Skelligs Islands (can’t take the bike but it’s only a few hours trip)
    Clare Burren National Park,
    Doolin,
    Don Aonghasa on the Aran islands (you can take the bike on the ferry)
    Clifden and Sky Road,
    Leenane,
    Achill Island (there a bridge!),
    Great Western Greenway,
    Slieve League,
    Glenveagh,
    Donegal coast & beaches
    Causway costal route (Derry to Belfast),
    Belfast to Newcastle to Rostrevor
    Rostrevor to Carlingford (use the Carlingford Ferry with your bike)

Failing that just follow the Wild Atlantic Way!

stevie750

if you are still in Belfast then this would be a good one to do

Causway costal route (Derry to Belfast),

if you go to the giants causeway it’s only the visitor centre that costs to get into, the actual causeway is free

then

Head North to the magilligan ferry onto Inishowen (malin head) the mooch south along the coast via the Loch swilly ferry?

Caher

Wild Atlantic Way is a good shout.

tjagain

Rode to Armagh via sustrans routes. Lots of tiny roads with character. A few loughs and its all very green. Sitting in the campsite with a cold beer.

Sandwich

@tjagain Should have headed for Giants Causeway and Bushmills for essential supplies. Ice cream at “The Port” (Portrush) and a visit to “Free Derry” taking in the North Coast.

A whizz around the lakes in Ulster is also worth a go. Don’t forget to have a Fry or two.

seosamh77
    Free Member

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=9/54.3301/-7.8181&layers=C

I see openstreetmaps has some cycle stuff marked on the maps, might help, might not, no idea if they are any use or not. But spotted it, and thought it might be of interest.

tjagain

Ta chaps

tjagain

Short day today. Checked into a hotel in Monaghan. I seem to have crossed into the republic by accident. Big feed and a real bed sound mighty fine.

Random church with union flags.

big_scot_nanny

All looking good TJ, hope you are having fun and the legs are getting stronger.

tjagain

[url=https://suwalls.com/cartoons/king-of-the-hill]king of the hill wallpaper[/url]

tjagain

Ffs crumble custarda d cream on an effing slate. How do you combine them?
    I’m temptedto tip it on the table

matt_outandabout

^ I had that last week in a pub in poncy Hampshire. What’s wrong with a plate or bowl?

ElShalimo

Heineken in Ireland!?!?!

You brute !

Poopscoop

Looking bloody marvelous tj, some great memories being made and thanks for sharing on here.👍

Cougar

Sorry dude, this passed me by. A few comments.

1) Good on you, it looks incredible.

2) Should’ve started a blog! At least you’re taking notes here.

3) In the unlikely (and unfortunate) eventuality that you find yourself in East Lancs, we have space for a bike and a deeply uncomfortable futon. Uh, that is to say, we have a deeply uncomfortable futon and space for a bike. The Leeds-Liverpool canal is a nice easy thoroughfare East-West.

tjagain

Cougar. I am updating in 3 places on social media. I will almost certainly be heading your way. I have a pals to visit in leigh and manchester and leeds to liverpool sounds good to me

stingmered

Leigh…? I’m sorry for your loss.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff, the west coast is amazing you’ll love it.

Anyone else picturing TJ holding court at the bar of a border pub “So lads, ….religion…..” 😜

kilo

Ie i dont know what are the nice places to visit. Time for some random ness

My suggestions along the west (mainly in geographical order)

Slieve league cliffs
    Killybegs – proper fishing town
    Avoid bundoran
    Yeats grave in Sligo
    Kilcullens Seaweed Baths, Enniscrone
    Cliffs of Moher
    Tarbert ferry
    (The lonely) Banna strand
    Not Tralee
    I would swerve doolin as well
    Killirglin – Puck Fair is on 10-12 august so the town will be rammed for that, otherwise the town has died a bit
    Kells for a beach swim

This may be useful; https://reeksdistrict.com/explore/

Ballinskelligs ring
    Hake hatch in Ballinskelligs
    Valentina island – visit the cliffs
    Kimego forest for wild camping after a swim at the beach at Cooscrome
    Knocknadobar Mountain, Stations of the cross walk. A good walk with spectacular views. You could probably wild camp on top of the weather was ok and you’re feeling hardy!!!
    The Moorings at portmagee for a pint
    O’Neils at Renard point for a pint and a lobster ( great place by the Valentina ferry – doesn’t take reservations)

Head northish to Glencar for some excellent roads, Bealach Oisin and Bealach Beama. Just after Bealach Beama you can cycle up past Lough Brin and into the Black Valley and then up through the Gap of Dunloe to Glencar – imho one of the most beautiful routes in Ireland
    Climbers inn at glencar for pint and lodging
    Walk up Carrauntoohil (this is a proper walk with scrambling and occasional deaths so not to be taken lightly. There are guides and groups in the area)
    Gap of Dunloe and The Black valley
    Sneem and Kenmare
    Glengarrif and Garnish Island
    Healy and Caher passes

northshoreniall

Why avoid bundoran? Tullan strandis stunning and plenty camp on top of cliffs, coast walk/ short ride down to main beach. Some good cafes there now in town then down coast via mullaghmore, streedagh on to rosses point and strandhill.
    Just spent 3 weeks in bundoran, has tacky seaside town vibe but also much improving in recent years.
    If was around week of the 12th I’d avoid totally as different town, but quite nice right now.
    All this academic if he’s ended up in monaghan though 😁

kilo

Always found bundoran the tacky seaside vibe a bit much, but each to their own and as you say for a long distance cyclist it may be handy

From Monaghan I’d still head for the west coast, maybe aim for Sligo

Was going to add the Famine Monument at Murrisk in Mayo

northshoreniall

Theres a much less tacky side to it now, in my opinion, have just spent 3 weeks there.
    I reckon he’d also appreciate a pilgrimage up Croagh Patrick barefoot for the full experience.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

TJ, if you’re headed West you should try to take in Achill Island and Connemara. If your feet are sore when you get towards Leenaun you could stop at the Aasleagh Falls and paddle in the pools for some restorative therapy. It’s also a good place to watch the trout trying to swim up the falls.

tjagain

Ta folks. I am basically heading for sligo but the ncn 91 wanders all over I think probably to find all the hills.

All very pastoral round here

tjagain

Some great suggestions ta. Ill try and get some good miles in before lunch then have a ponder where to pootle to next

tjagain

Camped up not far from Sligo. A day of meandering along lovely lanes listening to birdsong. Good for the soul.

Arrived at the campsite and its both deserted and a caravan club site🙄.

I pitched up anyway. Lets see if someone wants money in the morning.

[url=https://banks-nearme.com/chase-near-me]where is the closest chase bank[/url]

Caher

Nothing wrong with Tralee – good cycle group there if you need some advice. The Chain Gang.

tjagain

View from the campsite

kilo

Nothing wrong with Tralee

I’ve always found it a bit depressing whenever I’ve gone there, I think it may be that coming over from London I get hacked off if I end up having to spend time in big towns (usually being dragged around shops by Mrs Kilo).
    Not sure I’d put it on a must see list if I was on a cycling tour though.

Although I was driving through it once a few years back, came around a corner and a man was walking an elephant down the street which was a bit surprising and it has a good chainsaw shop.

tjagain

A wee dram

Caher

I’ve always found it a bit depressing whenever I’ve gone there

I have family there so I go there a lot. It’s not a tourist centre but if TJ wants a reasonable hotel and food it’ll be cheaper.
    If he follows the Wild Atlantic Way he could end up crossing the Shannon at Tarbet and go on to Fenit through Tralee then out to Dingle.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 385 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.