Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Titus FTM Mech Hangers!!!
  • d45yth
    Free Member

Has anyone found a solution to these breaking? One of my mate’s has gone through loads! I’ve ordered them for him from every manufacturer of them out there but they’ve all snapped.

It would seem there just isn’t enough material due to the fixing holes on it. The only solution I can think of is that it would need to be made from a stronger material (steel?), as there isn’t any room to make a thicker/wider one fit.

I was going to put my old fitting skills to the test and make one by hand. I was wondering if anyone knows of a manufacturer of them who’s based in the UK though? Maybe they could knock up a batch using their existing CNC program?

P.S. I’m not sure what year frames have this issue, the newer ones are different though.

wwaswas

You sure it’s the mech hangers fault – when does it happen?

If it’s under full suspension compression then his chain’s too short.

Danger of making the stronger is that something more expensive/non-replaceable breaks.

d45yth
    Free Member

It just seems to happen randomly. The last time I saw it break was when we were just moseying up a slight incline…I realise it may be getting bent/fatigued at other points on a ride though. I’m sure everything has been checked multiple times as well.

thepurist

Never broken one myself – bent one wheeling the bike backwards when the chain locked due to dodgy gear selection but that’s it. IIRC they did tweak the design a bit around the fixings but no idea who sells them. Maybe Brant will sniff this thread out and enlighten you/us

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Know issue that brant was on with sorting by creating a 2 bolt hanger

d45yth
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. The sooner something’s done the better. It’s not even a case of just carrying a spare either, as sometimes other bits have been damaged as a result. It becoming hard to find places with the hangers in stock too.

Edit – My mate has been labelled ‘Mike the Mech Destroyer’, it’s got to the point where we’re all expecting it to happen on every ride!

julians
    Free Member

I have a mate whose FTM is always eating mech hangers, seems to be overly weak.

He doesn’t have a solution apart from always carry 2 spares.

wwaswas

He could look at one of the axle mounted mechs like a Saint?

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ll look into that, cheers.

dantsw13

Yes, the 3 holes are too close to the edge of the hanger, so they bend/break very easily.

Conan257
    Free Member

Funny old thing I’ve just seen my 3rd in 18 months go…. I don’t ride that much so it’s very annoying.

15 years of riding before this frame and never had one go………….

Both the standard and aftermarket jobbers have the problem… Can’t see any other option though at the moment, guess I’ll be ordering another……..

Just found this: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/replacement-derailleur-hanger-dropout-218-prod33855/

No hole where it keeps failing, think that will sort it!

stumpy120
    Free Member

I must have broken at least 15 hangers in the last year. It’s just a bad design.

Tried vaious things like not putting in the bolt where it always breaks and filling the hole with JB Weld but nothing made any difference.

I finally couldn’t take it anymore and bought a new frame.

campfreddie
    Free Member

there is a revised design iirc…. when i bought my ftm carbon frame over the xmas period (which came without a hanger), i ordered the new design hanger with it.

i can’t tell you how much better it was as i only rode the bike once.

fantastic frame though… stupidly lightweight for a trail-capable steed.

WelshTom
    Free Member

Any one have any more news on an updated design? I’ve got a rockstar Carbon which uses the same mech hanger and today have snapped my 4th one since Christmas. I don’t even know how or why it broke! That’s £80 on mech hangers in 6 months!

I emailed Planet-X last time and they were not at all helpful, they just told me to order a Wheels Manufacturing one and it would last. Needless to say, 5 weeks later and it didn’t!! Planet-X also seem to list a 2 hole one for the FTM in the options on this page, but when I inquired I was told to buy the 3 hole one?

I’ve just done some research on the SJS one, and according to the Wheels Manufacturing Website the 218 is a direct replacement for the 145 (which is the standard FTM one) but with only 2 holes. I’m definitely getting one of them and will hope that it will sort the problem out once and for all, once they come back into stock……

Conan257
    Free Member

http://www.cyclehouse.co.uk/wheels-manufacturing-replaceable-derailleur-hanger-dropout-218/

I ordered one on Friday, will report back, but probably won’t be very constructive till it breaks….

You can thank me now, if you like!

steveno

campfreddie – Member 
    there is a revised design iirc…. when i bought my ftm carbon frame over the xmas period (which came without a hanger), i ordered the new design hanger with it.

i can’t tell you how much better it was as i only rode the bike once.

fantastic frame though… stupidly lightweight for a trail-capable steed.

your hangers still going strong, had many good hard rides in north east scotland with out the slightest issue.
    And yeah brilliant frames.

WelshTom
    Free Member

I emailed Planet X and the 2 hole wheels manufacturing one they sell is the 218 which is the same as the SJS and Cyclehouse one but they do free delivery over £20, so I’ll just have a look for something cheap to add on to get the free delivery.

Now I just need to email them to find out why they told me to order the 3 hole one last time…….

khani
    Free Member

when i bought my ftm carbon frame over the xmas period (which came without a hanger), i ordered the new design hanger with it.

Did it come without a hanger by mistake? or do they come without one and you have to buy one?

Conan257
    Free Member

Just spoken to cycle house, seemed an email got missed somewhere but it comes down to there being no stock.

Stock due in on the 12th to the supplier, cycle house a couple of days later, then dispatched. They’ll have a few extras so might be worth getting if you’re in need.

d45yth
    Free Member

Just spotted these updates!

Cheers!

Kwacker9
    Free Member

Thanks for the info on the updated 2 bolt hanger, my 3 bolt hanger went yesterday – is there any further news on these hangers?.

Cheers.

Conan257
    Free Member

2 bolt versions much better. I broke 3 of the 3 bolt ones but haven’t broken a 2 bolt!

Kwacker9
    Free Member

Thanks Conan257, which one are you using? – Is Planet X/Onone doing the 2 bolt versions now ?

Conan257
    Free Member

Haven’t seen an OO/PX version to be honest, got mine from Cycle House…

Original 3 hole
    Newer 2 hole

Kwacker9
    Free Member

Cheers again Conan, ordered 2 bolt version from Amazon £20.51 delivered.

Amazon

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Titus FTM Mech Hangers!!!’ is closed to new replies.